Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "It's just a disco"

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default "It's just a disco"

On Sunday, I may have had a couple of Diva moments (I'll get in there before you - "REALLY?!?! You don't say!").

Story one

I was at a wedding fayre and I met a couple. They were really nice, and after speaking for about ten minutes about them, what they would like etc., I gave them a quote. The venue is a 'big money' venue (for exclusive use, it's £40,000 and that's before food, ceremony etc.). Even though there is more money than sense here, I don't charge extra, but it was the first time whilst quoting for this venue that I've seen someone wince at the quote.

They asked me what if there was a band as well, and I replied that it is the same price. When they questioned why, I replied that I'm still there, I'm still working etc. I even asked "Would your band be charging less because there is a DJ there?", by which point, they replied with "but it's just a disco." I suggested that if it is just a disco to them, then they should consider going for the cheaper resident, and I took back my leaflet.

This morning, I received an email from the bride-to-be apologising, and asked if they can book me. Unfortunately someone else has booked me, but I did pass on their details to a DJ partner of mine, so hopefully he can help them.

Story two

Been emailing back and forth with a chap who wanted to book me for his wedding. Gave him a quote last Tuesday and on Sunday evening he called me back. He said both he and his bride are really enthusiastic, but there was one problem: the price. Was there any chance of dropping the price as "we're gonna put a playlist together, so we'll only need someone to press buttons."

Now it was my turn to wince.

I'm gonna do a summary of the conversation (it's not word for word, but close enough).

"Well, if all you need is a button presser, maybe a dry hire would be the best bet for you."
    "What? Like an iPod through speakers?"
    "Yeah."
    "Well, what about gaps in between the songs? Or mixing?
    "Mixing is not important. I mix myself, but not always through the whole night. I've seen DJ's work entire gigs without mixing. It's great, but the music selection is far more important."
    "Ok. Can CD players and lights be dry hired too?"
    "Yup. I can recommend someone if you like."
    "Actually, yeah, that'd be a great idea."
    "That's fine. Who's gonna do your button pressing for you?"
    "Erm...I dunno...my best man, I guess."
    "Ok, cool. Make sure you get two of everything."
    "Why?"
    "In case something fails. You'll want something to replace anything that stops working. In fact, you'll need to find someone who will set it up before the entertainment starts and take it down at the end."
    "Oh."
    "Yeah. And if your best man is going to be button pressing, you do realise that he'll not be able to party with you? He'll be working. He'll also have to restrict his alcohol intake dramatically so he can remain clear headed enough to press those buttons."
    "I guess so."
    "And what will you do if your playlist doesn't work?"
    "I don't follow."
    "Will your best man have enough about him to see that things aren't working, and change it up so it will get people dancing?"
    "Probably not."
    "And what's his mic skills like?"
    "*laughs* Shocking, I should imagine. He can be quite shy."
    "Not good for crowd interaction then. You'll also need to check on the equipment you hire to ensure that they are PAT tested."
    "Won't they be PAT tested?"
    "I'm certain that they would be, but you'll need to check anyway. If you buy a car, you'll want to check stuff before you drive off. Kinda the same thing."
    "Oh, OK."
    "I'm not sure on the Public Liability Insurance though - they might have it as part of the hire, or you'll have to get it yourself. Is this something that you want to worry about on your wedding day?"
    "OK. I get your point. You're not a fan of the idea, are you?"
    "I'll be honest with you - I think it's a stupid idea. Don't get me wrong, input from you both is crucial for the success of the night, but there is a reason why I do this for a living. You can give me a playlist but based on what you tell me, I know that I can chuck in a lot of tracks that will fit your night, and that you wouldn't have thought of. Not to mention, of course, the mic skills, the production values and the comfort of knowing that a professional is around to ensure that your night goes off without a hitch without you having to worry about it."
    "Ok. We'll have a chat and call you tomorrow."

Got a call back on Monday, and they booked me. We even had a laugh and a joke about the conversation, with his missus telling me that it should be her job to send him away with his tail between his legs.

Entertaining read!

I've had a similar situation recently myself. Just like yourself, after I explained the many negatives with reference to the D.I.Y. situation, the customer contacted me and said that they'd ditched the idea of hiring and putting their trust in one of their guests to do what they wanted them to do and booked me.

Funny thing is, a couple of days before that, I had almost exactly the same scenario as you with the "Just a Disco" comment.
    I received an enquiry that was asking for Disco Entertainment for a Wedding for just 2 hours. I know the venue well and I know it requires an early set up. I wondered if the 2 hours duration was a mistake on the enquiry form so rather than email back like I usually do, I gave the enquirer a call.

During the conversation it became clear that the enquirer's main priority was a band. They had it in their mind that the band could do most of the stuff but a 2 hour Disco would "give our guests some variety". I explained that 2 hours wasn't actually 2 hours. To avoid any disruption to their evening I'd need to set up early along with the band and I'd also have to be on site throughout the evening. Their idea was for the band to play 7.30pm - 9.00pm and then the Disco to run from 9.00pm - 11.00pm with the band finishing off the night from 11.00pm - Midnight.

I explained that it wasn't the 'done thing' or very professional to start backing away everything and leaving whilst the band finished off the night.
    The conversation went on. I was told what the band were charging (which was not really a concern of mine at all) and I was also told (yet again) that the enquirer had been told that the band could provide a playlist facility (iPod through their system).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I provided the enquirer with some advice and left it at that.
    I got an email a couple of days later thanking me for the advice and informing me that they would like to book me. There is no band playing now and I've been booked for 4 hours.

Whilst I have been writing this I have just received an email from another one of those enquiries that comes across as clueless. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but enquiries have gone mad for me over the past few months and ones like this stick out like a sore thumb.
    I met the Bride to be and her Mum at a recent wedding fayre at a venue where I am the recommended supplier / resident.
    I spent a fair bit of time talking to them both on the day and I could see that others were waiting around to speak to me.
    I've kind of worked out over time who is serious about booking and who isn't but I must admit, I obviously mis-read this one judging by the email I have just got and I wouldn't have wasted so much time with them.

I sent the full quotation to them (which included discounted Uplighting) 3 weeks ago and so after not hearing anything I decided to chase it up this morning.
    The reply came from the Mother of the Bride to be who informed me that after chatting to her husband they have decided to do it themselves (whatever that means?).

Good luck with that then.

Maybe the mother of the bride is going to hire some 1210s and get spinning?

Not every client is for you and you're not the DJ for every client, I wouldn't waste time worrying about folk who (maybe through no fault of their own admittedly) have no respect or appreciation for the service that your non cowboys provide and the appropriate price that goes along with it.

I did a gig in southern Scotland.
    Upfront the groom said he would provide an IPOD and all I had to do was provide my gear, plug the IPOD in then sit in the bar for the rest of the night.

Turned up set up and walked away.
    As I was walking out the groom asked me where I was going, I said to the bar as agreed.
    The bride went mental.
    Anyway the best man did the mic and it wasn't too bad a night in the end.
    They finished early and I got an early night.

I've got a feeling I've heard a similar story before from someone who left this forum ages ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I've got a feeling I've heard a similar story before from someone who left this forum ages ago...
    Yep. I remember that - thats well funny.

Grooms are notoriously crap at visualising a successful night. It used to really annoy me when the groom was lumbered with the entertainment, as the bride considered it his territory. I don't get it much these days but still do with my residency. They never know whats going on and have some very strange ideas about what will get people dancing.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The Scots are notorious for being tight.
    Most I find are OK and just pay up.
    You do get a few who agree to a price then want it for less at the end of the night.
    You need a crowbar to get the notes out of their pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    You do get a few who agree to a price then want it for less at the end of the night.
    Could you be any more insulting? I've been supplying entertainment to Scots for 25 years and from my experience it's definitely not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    They never know whats going on and have some very strange ideas about what will get people dancing.
    Yes, I've come across several DJs over the years who suffered from the same problem
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Could you be any more insulting? I've been supplying entertainment to Scots for 25 years and from my experience it's definitely not the case.
    My biggest tip came from a Scotsman at the end of his wedding party. And even after I only did half a night due to the reception and speeches over-running.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!