Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The new generation of digital controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    ( Mind you, I know where Gary and Shaun are coming from. If the Cortex play buttons were indestructible, and I didn't need to offer Karaoke, I'd probably still be using them )
    I took mine out to play the other day, and have to say it is really cumbersome compared to laptop/controller setup however using the Denon x500 mixer was a real eyeopener - or ear opener. It really does sound far superior to any controller I have used.

Biggest downside is size and weight.

Still amazed nobody has made a simple, compact, lightweight, easy to navigate all on one system. Some of the pioneer stuff is getting close, but not keen on only 2 channels (yeah I know I only need 2) and also although I like Rekordbox I hate having to rely on the management of it - I just want to plug a hard drive in and it will work.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    So that whole 'no jog wheel' thing for the S8 (and, subsequently, S5)?

Looks like NI have doggy-paddled back to safe jog wheel land with the announcement of it's updated line of S4/S2 Kontrollers.

Looking forward to the reviews on this one. May be tempted for an upgrade.
    I get the feeling they are still going with no jog wheels but aren't quite ready to lose the customer base that wants jog wheels.

I'm an S5 user and haven't missed jog wheels one bit. To be honest, they're pretty massive waste of space, touch strip works just as well unless you're scratching.

Denon did the whole motorised decks years ago and I thought it quite odd back then.

The future is touch strips!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Ha! Ha! (at Peter), I'm not stuck in the past (although I preferred it back there if I'm honest).....I just know which I prefer. Ok, I haven't indulged for many hours on the controllers....and I have an X500 mixer with it....and yes, it is bloody heavy.....and yes, I know that maybe, just maybe I should move forward........BUT, as I am not out multiple times a week as I was previously, I think I'll be ok for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    .....and yes, I know that maybe, just maybe I should move forward......, I think I'll be ok for the time being.
    I've tried moving forward, bought some lovely kit, which for the most part is sitting gathering dust. Like yourself I still really rate the HD2500. Nothing has come close to it for my needs. Not yet anyway. Hopefully one day.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I took mine out to play the other day, and have to say it is really cumbersome compared to laptop/controller setup however using the Denon x500 mixer was a real eyeopener - or ear opener. It really does sound far superior to any controller I have used.

Biggest downside is size and weight.

Still amazed nobody has made a simple, compact, lightweight, easy to navigate all on one system. Some of the pioneer stuff is getting close, but not keen on only 2 channels (yeah I know I only need 2) and also although I like Rekordbox I hate having to rely on the management of it - I just want to plug a hard drive in and it will work.
    What were you plugging into the Denon mixer though? Whatever difference you're hearing is down to the USB or other sound hardware you're comparing. The MC6000 mk1 I use sounds pretty good - not the best in the world I know but I don't want to be lumbered with a separate controller, soundcard & mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    What were you plugging into the Denon mixer though? Whatever difference you're hearing is down to the USB or other sound hardware you're comparing. The MC6000 mk1 I use sounds pretty good - not the best in the world I know but I don't want to be lumbered with a separate controller, soundcard & mixer.
    I used an external soundcard.

The test between the 2 was made by running side by side - mc6000 and mixer with external soundcard. To negate the fact it may be a good external soundcard I done the same with both simply plugged into the laptop headphone socket.

A simple answer was delivered - look at the size of the mixer (and weight) and what it does. Look at the size (and weight) of the controller and consider everything it does. Made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I used an external soundcard.

The test between the 2 was made by running side by side - mc6000 and mixer with external soundcard. To negate the fact it may be a good external soundcard I done the same with both simply plugged into the laptop headphone socket.

A simple answer was delivered - look at the size of the mixer (and weight) and what it does. Look at the size (and weight) of the controller and consider everything it does. Made sense to me.
    Interesting! Odd there's such a difference because their internal hardware is remarkably similar. As I said I'll happily trade convenience, size & weight over sound if it's perfectly acceptable quality. I was pondering upgrading to an MCX-7000 later in the year but was told to expect a drop in sound quality. WTH...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I've tried moving forward, bought some lovely kit, which for the most part is sitting gathering dust. Like yourself I still really rate the HD2500. Nothing has come close to it for my needs. Not yet anyway. Hopefully one day.
    With reference to buying kit - I invested in a few bits and bobs following a bit of dosh that came my way.....and then, things happened and I decided that I would be having a good old break. You could call it a case of both good timing, and bad timing.
    The good timing was that I literally bought the equipment, and then the 'episode' happened. Luckily, I was able to return a lot of the stuff. I won't name names as I bought the kit from 3 different suppliers. All of the kit was well within the 30 days return policy, and 2 suppliers were very good and understanding. 1 however, wasn't and wouldn't have anything back. Again, luckily I was able to sell it on at a very minimal loss.
    The bad timing was that I'd decided to go for it and start promoting myself up here. I'll be honest, I'd kept putting it off and I was in the early stages, and then 'it' happened and knocked me back.

As it stands now, I now have what I was using 2 years ago and you know what, I am happy with that. It doesn't bother me at all (as long as it is all working properly). I guess another DJ on his night off would no doubt come over to me whilst I am in full flow and mutter the words "Are you still using that!!?!???".... just like many others did when DJ's moved from CD to digital.

Interesting! Odd there's such a difference because their internal hardware is remarkably similar. As I said I'll happily trade convenience, size & weight over sound if it's perfectly acceptable quality. I was pondering upgrading to an MCX-7000 later in the year but was told to expect a drop in sound quality. WTH...
    I've always been surprised by just how good the X500 sounds. It's bizarre, because in theory at least, mixers really just take what's put into them and push it out again, but there is a really noticeable difference between the sound between the likes of the Denon X500 and A&H kit, other reasonably reputable brands (thinking Mackie, *cough* Behringer, etc) and a straight controller output.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

As I said I'll happily trade convenience, size & weight over sound if it's perfectly acceptable quality. I was pondering upgrading to an MCX-7000 later in the year but was told to expect a drop in sound quality. WTH...
    Yep, convenience etc is a high priority for me and in reality people won't notice the difference in quality unless a side by side test was done.

MCX-7000 is a great bit of kit, but size was the drawback for me, same as the Pioneer controllers - I love them and think again the sound quality is better than the MC6000 but they are all huge and flightcased won't even fit my micro booth.

I still think as a 'go to' playout the MC6000 ticks all the boxes for mobile use.