Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new generation of digital controllers

No jog wheels is not a new thing...remember the Novation Twitch controller? That was sans-jog's too and had a nice touch strip... I had one for a while and you know, whilst it was actually quite good for nudging the tempo during riding mixes...when I came to fine-tuning cue points it was an utter finger pain. Not played with the S8 yet so can't see what it's like.

As for the Numark NV....I saw one for the first time over the weekend...shockingly bad quality. Typical manufacturer error...add a really useful feature such as the screens but then scrimp on quality and sell it dirt cheap. Pioneer nailed it with the DDJ-SZ...fill it with features that people wanted over the SX, make it feel like quality and sell it at a premium price, and people STILL bought it. Wait until the next one comes out with it's own screens...once the XDJ-1000 has proven itself

As for the XDJ-1000, I think this is genius on Pioneer's part...make it look like a CDJ 2000 nxs but without the CD drive and connect it to rekordbox...quality, and not a bad price either. Sure enough, two of those with a DJM 900 NXS mixer is still going to cost a bit but it will still look the part, even with it's flashy USB socket
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post
    Pioneer nailed it with the DDJ-SZ...fill it with features that people wanted over the SX, make it feel like quality and sell it at a premium price, and people STILL bought it. Wait until the next one comes out with it's own screens...once the XDJ-1000 has proven itself
    I really do fancy buying the DDJ SZ. It really does tick almost all the boxes, bar one! The weight of the unit when boxed i hear is pretty excessive. Have yet to get a figure on it.

I was looking to buy at the start of the year then sell of my own gig rig consisting of Pioneer DJM5000 / MEP7000 / housed in a SKB box with folding laptop tray. Again, this is an ideal setup but the weight is a pain. This is a typical CATCH 22!!!!!!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

So the Traktor S8 not has a new baby brother in the Traktor S5.

It's a shrunk down version of the flagship S8, and is more affordable so may be of an interest to the mobile DJ market who like to get very creative with their sets (as well as the core club/bedroom DJ market, of course).

Still one thing about it though - still NOT a standalone controller!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    So the Traktor S8 not has a new baby brother in the Traktor S5.

It's a shrunk down version of the flagship S8, and is more affordable so may be of an interest to the mobile DJ market who like to get very creative with their sets (as well as the core club/bedroom DJ market, of course).

Still one thing about it though - still NOT a standalone controller!
    I just don't see the point in having screens on the controller if it isn't completely standalone. And - well over £500 to buy and it doesn't even have a built-in power supply. Sorry guys, but IMHO 'Pro' gear doesn't have an external PSU. Okay yes, the most likely part to fail is the power supply - meaning that if it's external you can just swap it over to a spare but external PSUs are a faff.

I'm half tempted to try the 'remix' type of controller one of these days - I get about as creative as it's possible to be with my MC2000 (I've done some of my own mappings to replace the defaults I tend not to use) but the gigs where I get to have a play like that are few & far between. Is 'Dancing Queen' going to be re-released in stems format?

I've been looking at new controllers for ages, if they brought out a new MC6000 style controller (size wise) which these changes I'd be interested:

- Pioneer style buttons not rubber rubbish
    - 15 LED level Meter on each line and master.
    - decent sound quality.
    - 8 hot cue pads (4 more).
    - Traktor optimized.

What annoys me is that If I mashed a pioneer controller and a denon one together I'd have what I wanted!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I just don't see the point in having screens on the controller if it isn't completely standalone. And - well over £500 to buy and it doesn't even have a built-in power supply. Sorry guys, but IMHO 'Pro' gear doesn't have an external PSU. Okay yes, the most likely part to fail is the power supply - meaning that if it's external you can just swap it over to a spare but external PSUs are a faff.

I'm half tempted to try the 'remix' type of controller one of these days - I get about as creative as it's possible to be with my MC2000 (I've done some of my own mappings to replace the defaults I tend not to use) but the gigs where I get to have a play like that are few & far between. Is 'Dancing Queen' going to be re-released in stems format?
    The one reason I have not changed from my Vestax VCI is that it is USB powered and so much easier, especially with no power source applications.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The one reason I have not changed from my Vestax VCI is that it is USB powered and so much easier, especially with no power source applications.
    Hmmmm... does it have a mic input?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I tried to go down this route by getting a Numark HDMIX, which has an internal HD. CD capability, and standalone capability.

Sadly, it wasn't the answer for me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Hmmmm... does it have a mic input?
    yes although i use a small mixer. latency is ok in the mk 2, but never used it.
    Much better in a technical, failure to have a separate mic straight into the pa, especially with noise limiters.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'll be sticking with my Traktor S4 MkII. Great controller, and gives me the flexibility to be creative.