Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Your 'Duh' Moments

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Your 'Duh' Moments

The protective bags for my RCF 905 subs and 408 tops are starting to fray. Turns out that the bags you can buy from RCF are rather poor and the zips are ripped after less than a year of usage.

So I started pondering about my next move. I wanted something that I can wheel around, as the subs are pretty heavy, whilst also offering protection. Huzzah, thought I - a flightcase! With a flightcase for each sub, I can wheel them around and put stuff on top too. Had a quick look at SwanFlight and saw that they have such flightcases for £280.72 each. Plus £41.30 shipping...that's a lot of pretty paper to leave my back pocket. Saying that, it'll make my life easier.

Total cost: £602.74.

Then after a night of drinking, I had an epiphany and now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this first. HotCovers.co.uk. £44.00 per cover for the subs and £32.00 per cover for the tops. Then off to Screwfix to buy a hand truck for £69.99.

Total cost: £221.99.

Granted, not the same level of protection as a flightcase, but is good enough for my needs.

No doubt, you're all thinking that this was the obvious solution and that is the point of this thread. So join in, one and all. What 'duh!' moments have you suffered from, and did you think of an alternative just in time? Maybe we can learn from each other.

See this thread for my most recent Duh moment:

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...F24&highlight=

http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I accidentally drove onto the golf course (nearly hit a green!) at a poorly lit and signed venue.

Oooh in fact a few weeks ago whilst getting the crowd G'd up for the bride and grooms entrance I wasn't properly paying attention to where I was going and aaaaaaaaaaaaaalmost knocked the cake table over. If it had been a cupcake tree or something like that it would have gone over no problem

Ah, it's "duh" not "doh" moment - I suppose "duh" don't drive through poorly lit "paths" when you've no idea where they lead and "duh" look where you're going when working the floor count?
    Last edited by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ; 08-10-2014 at 09:19 AM.

A few years ago I went to set up for a corporate function at a venue around 3 miles away from me.
    Access was dodgy anyway as I couldn't get the van that near to the venue so it was a walk of about 50 metres and then up to flights of stairs.
    My van was parked on a slight hill (Here's the important bit - The handbrake was ON).
    I'm sure everyone in the South will remember this but we had a huge influx of snow fall in a very short space of time. I was half way through getting the gear in to the venue and it was really light snow so I didn't think much of it. As I got the last bits up the stairs and closed the exit doors it was getting heavier by the second but I still didn't think much of it.

40 minutes later when I'd finished setting up (around Midday) and went out of the exit doors I was amazed to see just how much had fallen.
    So, 'Duh' moment 1 - I wish I had never continued setting up because in the end the booking was cancelled (it took me 7 hours to get 3 miles home........I was actually stuck on a roundabout and could see my house for 2 hours!).

The other 'Duh' moment (or maybe re-phrase that to moment) was when I couldn't see my van! It had slid down the hill backwards and the only thing that had saved it from smashing in to an AMG Mercedes that was parked nearby was a small railing. That took my door handle off and scraped the side of the van but I guess it could have been much worse.

I had to go back a couple of days later and collect the gear which was a nightmare as the venue didn't / wouldn't open the following day. The booking was re-scheduled but they did compensate me for setting up and wasting a day which was ok.

Did a TA disco at Kendal one Christmas.
    Going there was fine, roads were clear.
    They kept me playing until about 4am with offerings of more money.
    When I finally packed up I noticed it had been snowing heavily.
    So I set off home the way I came. Got to the first hill and I got stuck in the snow.
    So turned around and tried the A6, got a couple of miles up the road and got stuck again.
    So headed in the opposite direction out of Kendal to the M6 and that was passable.
    I was a bit silly expecting the back roads to be clear and so easily could have ended up stuck and stranded.
    I hadn't taken a jacket or coat so could have easily frozen to death if I had got stuck.
    Had to explain to the wife why I got home at 7am !

My most recent one was so bleedin' obvious, I'm ashamed how long it took the penny to drop.
    I use the wonderful value Echosign, and even though it's fast, sometimes it took a long time, as I'd send out the contract, client would sign, thus sending it back to me to sign, before we both got a fully signed copy.

Only recently did I realise that if I signed before sending, this cut out a round of ping pong! Idiot!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Decided to design and build a valve amplifier.
    I put it together and powered it up and it sounded sort of OK.
    I then noticed one of the valves was red plating (getting far too hot).
    Had a look around my pcb and I had complete missed putting in a resistor.
    This caused valve to pass full power and over heat.
    Put in the resistor and everything was fine.
    Doh !

Turned up to do a Wedding a week early!

Must read booking form before setting off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    Turned up to do a Wedding a week early!

Must read booking form before setting off!!!
    Quite a few years ago, I turned up a whole year early...