Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: ISP change help and advice.

Default ISP change help and advice.

Well folks, I've just changed the mobile phone to a Nokia 930, which I love to bits. Also, my new tariff allows data usage ten times more than I've ever managed yet, so no worries there.

The thing is, I'm often in areas with weak mobile coverage, but with BT wifi available from nearby dwellings. Theoretically, I get an access code with my mobile for this, but Orange eventually admitted it had never worked, so that's out.

Now the tricky bit. If I change ISP to BT, I'll get not only access to these hotspots, but a shiny new router to replace my aging livebox. Downside is, as far as I can tell, I'll lose my email address, and have to get a new one.

The big question is, how much of a hardship is this? Will it impact on business? Will I have to send out change emails to all my regular contacts? How much upheaval does it cause< and am I likely to be without email access for any length of time?

Would you change, or would you put up with the often very slow mobile speeds? Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Personally, I wouldn't use an email address issued by an ISP for business use as ISP's come and go if you regularly search for a better deal. You're far better off getting an email address linked to your web domain. For example [email protected]. I had mine through Heart Internet originally but, after issues with the reseller (lying, robbing git!!), this year migrated to Go Daddy so I'm dealing with the webhost directly now. And everything has been fine so far.

Sending an email out advising of change of email details should be easy and quite painless. Simply type one email and send it to multiple recipients. Set up a contact group in your address book and send it to that group. Easy as pie!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use an email address issued by an ISP for business use as ISP's come and go if you regularly search for a better deal. You're far better off getting an email address linked to your web domain. For example [email protected].
    I agree. I always cringe when I see people, especially those running a business, using an email address tied to their ISP. Seeing the likes of Hotmail / Yahoo / Gmail has the same effect, but at least they are longer term, although it looks just as unprofessional (IMHO).

Even if you're not running a business, you should register a domain to use for email. I've got loads of clients who do just that.

Peter - if you want to use your excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk domain for email, just give me a shout...

I think that email would attract the wrong kind of client
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Personally, I wouldn't use an email address issued by an ISP for business use as ISP's come and go if you regularly search for a better deal.
    Oi!!!!!!!! Regularly? My Freeserve address is the one created hundreds of years ago, when I first signed up with them. It stayed that way when Freeserve became El Wanadoo, and El Wanadoo became Orange. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Sending an email out advising of change of email details should be easy and quite painless. Simply type one email and send it to multiple recipients. Set up a contact group in your address book and send it to that group. Easy as pie!!
    Contact group? One email? Easy? Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Peter - if you want to use your excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk domain for email, just give me a shout...
    My hero! That's quite possibly a stroke of genius. Expect an email soon, full of stupid questions.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oi!!!!!!!! Regularly? My Freeserve address is the one created hundreds of years ago, when I first signed up with them. It stayed that way when Freeserve became El Wanadoo, and El Wanadoo became Orange. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Contact group? One email? Easy? Yeah right.
    Freeserve? For once in our lives, I probably feel older than you right now, Peter! I was around in the really old days of the net and I had an original AOL (America OnLine) account and email address!! In fact, we didn't have the WWW as we do now. It was all a network of bulletin boards (BBS) and you had AOL's own information service (a bit like Ceefax prior to the Red Button) or you could press the "Internet" button and venture in to other BBSs!! Ah, the good old days!! . If my memory serves me correctly, it was very much void of any graphics, pictures or videos that we take for granted nowadays. But it was also all about information and sharing thoughts and ideas. There were no web-based security threats. That's progress, I suppose! I discovered some amazing people in those days and those very same people went on to build and shape the internet in to the WWW that we have today.

Contact groups are dead easy. I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client, as well as Outlook for the day job, and it really is easy as pie. In Thunderbird, you just go to Address Book and create a new mailing list. It couldn't be any easier!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!