Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Years Eve vs Wedding

Default New Years Eve vs Wedding

Morning all,

Although I dont expect people to start divulging too much information (although it would be interesting to see if they did) but i'm looking at what you would all be looking at charging for this specific event as a ball park figure lets say -

Basically, I played at a young couples engagment party recently. Gig went really well, they enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, everyone's a winner.

I got a phone call this weekend asking if I'd be willing to play at their wedding next year. Great, I thought, step into my virtual office!

Bearing in mind I'm based in Birmingham - the wedding is taking place just short of 75 miles from where I live.

Not only that, but it is also on New Years Eve.

So, in short, its 150 miles travelling, on New Years Eve, for a wedding, in which staying over in a hotel seems the most appropriate thing to do in this case (providing I get international clearance from the Mrs)

Have many of you had many queries similar to this and if so, how much (ball park) would you be looking to charge for this kind of event?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind_Sounds View Post
    Morning all,

Although I dont expect people to start divulging too much information (although it would be interesting to see if they did) but i'm looking at what you would all be looking at charging for this specific event as a ball park figure lets say -

Basically, I played at a young couples engagment party recently. Gig went really well, they enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, everyone's a winner.

I got a phone call this weekend asking if I'd be willing to play at their wedding next year. Great, I thought, step into my virtual office!

Bearing in mind I'm based in Birmingham - the wedding is taking place just short of 75 miles from where I live.

So, in short, its 150 miles travelling, on New Years Eve, for a wedding, in which staying over in a hotel seems the most appropriate thing to do in this case (providing I get international clearance from the Mrs)

Have many of you had many queries similar to this and if so, how much (ball park) would you be looking to charge for this kind of event?

With NYE being a prime date, I charge double my standard Saturday night rate. I know a lot of DJ's who do something similar (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less). I also have the mentality of not being fussed if I work NYE, but if someone is willing to pay me double what I would earn on a normal Saturday, I would be silly to turn it down.

For your gig, I would suggest something similar, or maybe just less than double plus expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind_Sounds View Post
    Morning all,

My quote would be £1000+ and I'd drive home afterwards, 75 miles isn't a massive distance.

But to some DJ's that would be far too much and for others far too little, so getting our estimates won't really help you much, charge whatever makes it worthwhile for you.

I would not drive that far to start with 10 miles is more than enough for me.
    However if I was desperate and it was a nice venue with good access I would charge my standard rate with transport and accommodation.

This would be £795 for 5 hours. £75 for accommodation & £50 fuel = £920.

I had an enquiry today for a wedding where they want me to set up for 5pm.
    This basically means 3pm as its in the wedding breakfast room. I quoted £1,200.
    With hosting and management this would be more like £1,600.

Weddings on NYE are awesome! Here is a photo from one I did in Rhinefield last year with the Hoff:

Name:  10616026_814919375220023_8373351594153641371_n.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  51.5 KBName:  936688_814919831886644_2058230218305367449_n.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  61.9 KBName:  10352139_814918991886728_2371898655801925849_n.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  64.0 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

£60................................
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

75 miles isn't too far, I travel that distance for a large proportion of my bookings - so I'd just come home rather than book a Hotel.

But to answer your question I've included hotel...

2 times my usual rate
    + mileage fee
    + cost of hotel
    = TOTAL FEE

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    £60................................
    You'd never get that round here!

Right, before the tablets wear off:
    It's long been accepted that prices double on NYE, whatever the function. Driving versus hotel, well there was a time when I'd have driven 150 miles without batting an eyelid, but now, 75 miles is close to my limit, especially at three in the morning. I have a regular customer in Lincolnshire, and when I get the 100 mile one way gigs, I splash out £30 on a Travelodge, and get my head down within half an hour of jumping in the van. Next morning, a leisurely breakfast, and drive home refreshed in the daylight.

So, the price for this NYE wedding? Hard to see how it could come in under £500, especially with the travelling. I suspect that room prices may easily have climbed for the date, too.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Like others distance wouldn't bother me so I wouldn't be charging extra for a hotel.

For the last 3 years I've got £450 - £500 combined as part of a bulk deal so I'd be going with a £600 figure if I was getting the booking from an individual rather than a hotel for example.
    As you say you quite enjoyed the party before I'd personally be happy to charge £50 extra for it being a wedding and the additional planning or £100 extra if meetings are required also.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Like others distance wouldn't bother me so I wouldn't be charging extra for a hotel.

For the last 3 years I've got £450 - £500 combined as part of a bulk deal so I'd be going with a £600 figure if I was getting the booking from an individual rather than a hotel for example.
    As you say you quite enjoyed the party before I'd personally be happy to charge £50 extra for it being a wedding and the additional planning or £100 extra if meetings are required also.
    Double std fee, or thereabouts for evening is definitely a good rule of thumb.
    After al most venues double the ticket price and room charges!
    For private events its a bit more tricky especially when you get into the realms of all day dj.

The fee to my hotel normally for Dec functions is £375 and we charge £795 I think? perhaps £765 - cant remember
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Double std fee, or thereabouts for evening is definitely a good rule of thumb.
    After al most venues double the ticket price and room charges!
    For private events its a bit more tricky especially when you get into the realms of all day dj.

The fee to my hotel normally for Dec functions is £375 and we charge £795 I think? perhaps £765 - cant remember
    Wish I could get some £375 December functions ... I'm on £200 a night this year 30 miles away and I'm travelling 100 miles to snatch a more my sort of price (£300) gig.
    I just can't seem to pick my december trade up, the rest of the year is improving though

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD