Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Wordpress or similar

Default Wordpress or similar

As we're in a fairly quiet period of the year and for once I'm on top of everything I'm looking at a website solution for the hire side of the business. I wanted to ask the guys here who have designed their site using something like wordpress just how easy it is for a newbie (though more than able to handle using a computer but not much web design knowledge) to throw something simple yet effective up onto the word wide web. How many hours should I be putting aside to learn the basics, get something up and tweak it without posting a question on the forums every five minutes?

I'm already using a webnation site so not really looking at something like wix.

This is for a URL I own but haven't done anything with so happy to learn as I go with this as it's not touching a well established site.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I'm already using a webnation site so not really looking at something like wix.
    Your Webnation site (I'm assuming www.ddwes.co.uk) uses Drupal, which is #2 to Wordpress as the CMS of choice (see http://trends.builtwith.com/cms). I'm confused that you're comparing it to a Wix site, as it's actually more like Wordpress than anything else.

Drupal, like Wordpress, is a free CMS so if you wanted to do have a go with it yourself (you probably know the admin side a little, anyway) there's nothing stopping you getting some hosting and throwing a copy up.

Incidentally, as you're using Drupal you should read Using Drupal 7 - READ THIS if you haven't already...

Actually, if you wanted to test the water with Wordpress or Drupal, just give me a shout and I'll give you some hosting FOC while you test it out...

But, my link earlier highlights a drawback - nomatter which CMS you choose, be prepared to have to be on top of it all the time re upgrades, patches etc, both for the CMS and any plugins you end up using...

My hire site: scequipmenthire.co.uk is a wordpress site.

It took quite a while to build and the labour intensive part is adding all the products in and their variables. I've nearly finished adding in a load of new products and then it'll be up-to-date... until I go on another spending spree that is!

Although i've added quite a few products myself, I did get a company to build the site and get the product adding started.
    Last edited by SC Events; 17-11-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    My hire site: scequipmenthire.co.uk is a wordpress site.
    For something like that: -

Wordpress: Free (https://wordpress.org/download/)
    Flatsome Theme: $58 (http://themeforest.net/item/flat-res...-theme/5484319)
    WooCommerce Bookings Plugin: $249 (http://www.woothemes.com/products/woocommerce-bookings/)

Change logo.
    Add products.
    Job done for less than £230