Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting payment

Default Getting payment

Just a little spin off from another thread I have running

Having had a difficult gig on Friday when come to think about it I was lucky the client actually left my money with the bar staff as he left half way through the party I was wondering how you guys handle the issue of payment?

Realistically there was no contract as such between myself and the client, the landlord booked me on his behalf and said I would be paid directly by the client.

Best then to get payment before the night or for last minute bookings at the start of the night?

Has anyone actually had a problem with getting payment for a gig?

Rich

My t's and c's = balance paid 28 days in advance and touch wood I've never had a problem.

If on the odd occasion it's truly last minute then it's money at the start of the night.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    My t's and c's = balance paid 28 days in advance and touch wood I've never had a problem.

If on the odd occasion it's truly last minute then it's money at the start of the night.

Although my T&C's require payment a few days before the event. If I don't get paid, I don't turn up but the client would still be liable to paying me as per the cancellation clause.

I ask for cash on the night and have had no problems since not accepting bookings from 18th's/21st's self bookers.

Up until very recently my payment terms were Bank Transfer or Credit/Debit card payments 28 days prior to the event, or payment cash on the night prior to starting - whichever the customer preferred. Now it's strictly 28 days prior to event.

The turning point to changing my payment terms was turning up to do a gig (which was for a nice school....in a barn). Not one of these plush converted barns, but an actual barn that looked like it hadn't been used in 20 years. So I setup, then asked the barn owner/farmer where the toilets were so I could get changed. He said "What?! there's no portaloos?". As it ended up, the farmer cancelled the event 1 hour before start time due to no portaloos being booked. The client never showed at location after the farmers call to her. So I spent the next month or so chasing up the payment owed and threatening legal action if they didn't pay the fee owed as per the booking agreement. I eventually got paid in full, but it was a wake up call regarding payment on the night.

I've actually just remembered another time where the groom had forgotten payment. I approached him at the start of the night to settle the balance, and he said he forgot the money, and could he forward it to me after he came back from honeymoon? I politely informed him that without payment in full, regrettably I couldn't provide the service. He told me "no problem, I'll sort something out". He came back 15 minutes later with the full payment.

So, two instances in 26 years where there's been a problem. Not bad going at all I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Up until very recently my payment terms were Bank Transfer or Credit/Debit card payments 28 days prior to the event, or payment cash on the night prior to starting - whichever the customer preferred. Now it's strictly 28 days prior to event.

So, two instances in 26 years where there's been a problem. Not bad going at all I reckon.
    I'm singing from a similar hymnsheet Shaun. My prepayment dates are ten days for cheques, and five days for bank transfer. If I have to stop accepting cash on the night, I shall be very sad, especially since almost all my private customers prefer this method. Like Shaun, I've had a couple episodes recently which made me wonder if I might need to change to prepayment. Hope I don't have to, as I fear customers may not like it. I know others have said it had no adverse effects, so who knows?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If I have to stop accepting cash on the night, I shall be very sad, especially since almost all my private customers prefer this method.

When given the option, the majority of my customers preferred cash on the night - I don't know if that says more about me than them...lol. I honestly didn't mind at all if they preferred to pay at the start of the night.

The plus side to payment in advance is that I never did like approaching the client on the night requesting payment. It never has sat easy for me, so it's a small blessing that it's not an issue any more.

What I DON'T like now is chasing up payments in advance of the event. I tend to contact the client 7 days prior to payment date, to let them know that their payment date is approaching, and provide details of how they may make their final payment. STILL, I find myself chasing some customers up once the payment date has passed. :-/

To the members that insist on payment in advance....do you experience this? Where am I going wrong? I had less instances of payment hassles when I was happy to accept payment on the night.
    Last edited by Shaun; 23-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    Just a little spin off from another thread I have running

Having had a difficult gig on Friday when come to think about it I was lucky the client actually left my money with the bar staff as he left half way through the party I was wondering how you guys handle the issue of payment?

Realistically there was no contract as such between myself and the client, the landlord booked me on his behalf and said I would be paid directly by the client.

Best then to get payment before the night or for last minute bookings at the start of the night?

Has anyone actually had a problem with getting payment for a gig?

Rich
    As you say the landlord booked you, regardless of whether he booked on somebody's behalf or not, you have a contract with the landlord. If the other person hadn't of paid then the landlord would have had to. I've been in that position and enforced it to get my fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I had less instances of payment hassles when I was happy to accept payment on the night.
    AHA!! Perhaps paying upfront isn't at the forefront of their minds, whereas chatting with the DJ at the event jogs their minds somewhat?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Interesting thing I am reading on this thread and can't quite figure out is why some of you are saying you no longer take payment on the night?

What are the reasons for this? For example when dealing with pubs for supplying AV equipment and related services I normally collect payment on the day or in the case of pubco's I deal a lot with then I recieve payment at a later date (sometimes a month later or split into installements for really big jobs) from their accounts department.

I know that type of 'pay me later' scenario does not apply to disco work, but in my main business I love to come home with a pocket stuffed full of cash after a days work.. Are there some factors I need to consider to change this attitude while DJing? Other than getting mugged on the carpark at 2:30am

Rich