Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which three light units?

Default Which three light units?

OK, following on from Dicky's tales of a two hour setup, with a lot of units, let's see what lightshow suitable for most functions people can offer with limited resources. By limited, I mean three mains sockets, so a powerbar, although having four units on it, only counts as one, cos it only has one mains socket. Thus, if you wanted the flexibility of the ADJ Tripar, you could only have two, and something else. Clear?

As referred to elsewhere, the Gigbar and similar would leave you with two sockets to spare, while offering you six lighting units. Not quite in the spirit of the thread, but technically allowed. Right, lets have a go.

Powerbar and two moonflowers.
    Two Tripars and an EFX 500 ( You could perhaps substitute a cluster laser for the EFX. )

More if they come to mind. Over to you folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Powerbar & two 50w LED moving heads. It's what I use 95% of the time.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I assume that IEC daisy chaining would be considered cheating?

I would choose two ADJ Mega QA Par38 (or similar) to wash and either a Jellydome or the Quad Phase.

I'm not a fan of the Chauvet Swarm and whilst the gig bar looks like a good option for smaller gigs, I have a severe hatred for lasers. I know that I will have a mob with burning torches and pitchforks wanting my head on a plate for saying such things, but I just hate them.

Power bar + 2 Chauvet Obsession 2.0
    or Power bar + 2 ADJ Sphereion

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Power-bar and a pair of Cheetah’s. Which is what I use for most of my small to medium bookings.

It’s actually the ADJ Dotz TBar which has an optional filter over the lights which gives them a narrower focus. It also has IEC connections and bolts to add lights to the top, so a separate lighting bar isn’t necessary. Add a small DMX controller for the Cheetah’s and I’m all set-up in minutes.

When people asked for a scaled back lighting set up I usually rock a mega bar under my Lite Console and 2 Jelly domes O clamped onto my speaker poles.

I assume running them via MyDMX is kosher as it's USB powered?

Chauvet corebar 4 and two twister 4hp's for a simple setup ☺️

I did one 2 weeks ago in a small venue and just used a Beamz light bar on a tripod and a Kam cluster laser on my Dj stand. Easy set up and good floor coverage and just used 2 sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I assume that IEC daisy chaining would be considered cheating?
    Perfectly fine if you stay at or below the three unit limit. It would not fit the specified criteria if you had four. Rules is rules.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Power-bar and a pair of Cheetah’s. Which is what I use for most of my small to medium bookings.

It’s actually the ADJ Dotz TBar which has an optional filter over the lights which gives them a narrower focus. It also has IEC connections and bolts to add lights to the top, so a separate lighting bar isn’t necessary. Add a small DMX controller for the Cheetah’s and I’m all set-up in minutes.
    The Stairville can do that, except it doesn't have additional IEC outlets. If using the Cheetahs, you can daisy chain the whole shebang from one mains input. As to small controllers, the CA8/UC3 gives a modicum of control, although admittedly no fade, or full program control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I assume running them via MyDMX is kosher as it's USB powered?
    You can run it on three phase and stay within the criteria, as it's not a light unit. Unless it explodes in flames, it won't create a display itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Feeva View Post
    I did one 2 weeks ago in a small venue and just used a Beamz light bar on a tripod and a Kam cluster laser on my Dj stand. Easy set up and good floor coverage and just used 2 sockets.
    And still one to spare. You're in credit.

Right, slightly more seriously, I saw the Chauvet Gigbar in the flesh last night, so to speak. I've got to say it impressed me greatly, and for small to medium venues, it's a one unit solution. Wireless control for many functions gives a high degree of control from a distance. Very nice. I feel it needs smoke/haze for best effect, and for a fraction of a second, I had visions of one placed on each upright of my deckstand for an amazing lightshow. Then, when I remembered that would cost circa £800, the vision faded.
    For anyone with jobs with limited space, and tight turnrounds, it's well worth a look.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I saw the Chauvet Gigbar in the flesh last night, so to speak. I've got to say it impressed me greatly, and for small to medium venues, it's a one unit solution. Wireless control for many functions gives a high degree of control from a distance. Very nice. I feel it needs smoke/haze for best effect, and for a fraction of a second, I had visions of one placed on each upright of my deckstand for an amazing lightshow. Then, when I remembered that would cost circa £800, the vision faded.
    For anyone with jobs with limited space, and tight turnrounds, it's well worth a look.
    The only thing I didn’t like was it had effects I wouldn’t choose myself. But in principle a ready made lighting bar with built in DMX scenes is a great idea. A mix’n’match version with more options would be ideal, but probably too many variables to make it economic to produce.

But the only reason someone wouldn’t create a similar prewired bar themselves (most DJ’s have the lighting already) is down to not wanting, or being able, to DMX everything together.