Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discos not as good as in the past.

Default Discos not as good as in the past.

Hi hope your all having a busy Christmas. Would anyone agree that discos are not as busy as they used to be. We've been going for 15+yrs and the last couple of years have been quiet.
    What do people think, also where do you mainly find your work.
    Thanks

Well, due partly to a certain website run by a respected forum member, and a regular customer, I'm currently having my busiest year for ages. If I can match it in 2015, I'll be happy. And going on the current diary, surprised. Ah well, there's time.
    Oh yes, don't forget networking on here as well. That can pay dividends.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I set out at the beginning of this year to increase my turnover by 50% and I'm on track at present. There's 4 months to go admittedly, but my book of business for next year is looking pretty promising and most of the days off I've had this year have been forced by the wife .

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    due partly to a certain website
    Wow - 32 direct gigs this year, plus no doubt a few which didn't get recorded properly and no doubt a few repeat bookings ... nice job

If you need a disco listing like this, you know where to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Wow - 32 direct gigs this year, plus no doubt a few which didn't get recorded properly and no doubt a few repeat bookings ... nice job

If you need a disco listing like this, you know where to go!
    Alright Son, the cheque's in the post. ( Actually, paypal, a couple of weeks ago. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Really too soon to comment for me but I have played 3 bookings in my first 8 days back DJing and have 3 others booked in this side of Xmas so far, so as a new venture I am happy with that

Possibly just the time of year though

Rich

looks like 30 gigs for me this year , improvement on last year, which in turn was better than the year before , next year is looking good as well

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Think it will be 51 for me this calendar year by the end of December. Considering I did 75 in the previous two years combined and I am only part time, things are going well. Average fee has increased by 40% too.

I did 48 gigs in 2012, 55 in 2013 and 68 (so far booked) this year, so can't complain.

Had a quick count and its in the region of 80 bookings, which includes December.
    Thats at £500 (4 hours) £600 (5 hours) - (usually more with extras) and average of about £900-1000 all day.
    rough split is 20% all day rest evening. This is up on last year and most of the years before it at my current pricing.
    Not looking forward to the tax bill.

Don't think its that much tougher, maybe its just tougher as agencies are not as prolific and its now up to individuals to market themselves. Being web savvy is all enough in itself but getting to the client is becoming even more difficult. I have personally found that simplifying it and just doing a good job & creating good honest customer relations from the first lead wins at the end of the day, when compared to any marketing regime (in my price bracket anyway). 80% of my work is on recommendation, so standing out and creating ties with venues/networking with suppliers is key for me.

In every trade (that is not just a fad) I have found people who have said that the work is not out there (especially photographers) have failed to move with the times and become a bit stale in their service and also the marketing and business professionalism.

Not referring to the poster though - just a general observation.

So no i think that there is a bigger market for mobile DJ's, but things have changed a bit as customers have more choice and can now see/experience what they will get rather than looking through yellow pages and pretty much booking blind. I would imagine that someone who wanted a good DJ previously would have gone on seeing them before & reputation/recommendation. Now we have cost effective video cameras, Youtube and probably (with the help of quantum computing) a 3D walk through simulation of what "your party" will be like on the night). Wont that be good!

Because of this individual DJ's (with the help of social media/forums) have also changed their approach to what and why they choose certain set ups of use certain marketing tactics and are now much more business focused, rather than treating being a DJ as a holiday fund and "somin fun to do at the weekend."
    Last edited by yourdj; 30-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/