Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13th birthday list

Default 13th birthday list

I had a late booking come in for yesterday from a 13th yr olds mother. She gave me this playlist 30 mins before function. How many of you would be able to cater for this type of music. I was totally out my comfort zone.

lupe fiasco-around my way (freedom ain't free)
    drake - 0 to 100
    ty dolla sign - or nah Ft. The weekend, Wiz Khalifa & DJ Mustard
    Chris Brown feat. User _ Rick Ross - New Flame _Explicit Version_
    Believe Me (ft. Drake) - Lil Wayne
    Chris Brown - Loyal (East Coast Version) feat. Lil Wayne and French Montana
    Kanye west, Jay Z - s in Paris
    Jeremih Feat. Yg - Don_t Tell Em - New 2014 -_ With Lyrics_-_HD_
    Kid ink - Main Chick featuring Chris Brown-1
    T.I. feat. Iggy Azalea - No Mediocre _Explicit_
    Trey Songz - Na Na [Official Video]
    YG Ft. Drake - Who Do You Love (Final Version)
    Marion Band$ - Hold Up (Feat. Nipsey Hussle) [GTA V]
    Bobby Shmurda - Hot
    Kanye West - Clique ft. Jay Z & Big Sean
    Kanye West - Power
    Young Thug ft Rich Homie Quan, Birdman - Lifestyle
    Jay - Z - 99 Problems (Directors Cut) (Explicit)
    Only - Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown (Dirty Version)
    Wiz Khalifa- We Dem Boys
    T.I. - About The Money Feat. Young ThugFuse ODG - T.I.N.A Ft. Angel
    I Don't With You - Big Sean ft E-40
    Naughty Boy - Think About It ft.Wiz Khalifa, Ella Eyre
    PARTYNEXTDOOR ~ Sex On The Beach
    Future - "Never SAtisfied" Ft. Drake [Prod. By Mike WiLL Made-It]
    Lil Wayne Ft. Drake & Future-Bitches Love Me
    Ace Hood - Bugatti (Explicit) ft. Future,Rick Ross
    Kanye West - Gold Digger DJ SAY WHAAT Extended
    Future Feat. Lil Wayne - "After That"
    DJ Khaled ~ Hold You Down
    Will.i.am - it's My Birthday Ft. Cody Wise
    The Weekend - "Often"
    Don't Waste My Time (ft. French Montana, chip, Wretch32, Chinx & Fekky) - Krept & Konan
    Peso
    kendrick Lamar Ft Dr.Dre Compton
    Snootie Wild Feat. K camp - "Made Me"
    Flo Rida ft Sage The Gemini - GDFR
    Kid Ink - Body Language ft. User & Tinashe
    CoCo
    Dj Khaled - No New Friends (feat. Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne)
    Drake Started From The Bottom (Nothing was The same)
    Young Dro - That Bitch 2013
    Swimming pool [Drank] (Feat.Kendrick Lamar)
    Gas Pedal By Sages he Gemini Ft Lamsu
    My Remix feat. Lil wayne,Meek Mill,Rich Homie Quan & Nicki Minaj

I know a handful of tracks out of that list but wouldn't be comfortable playing any of it. Being that it was for a THIRTEENTH birthday... it's not the bad language.. it's the attitudes portrayed by a lot of the tracks.. misogynistic to the point where they make 'Blurred Lines' sound like a feminist anthem, for starters. Not suitable for adults, let alone kids IMHO.

Given enough warning that'd definitely be a booking I'd have run away from. Actually, so would *any* < 16th birthday. A lot of what kids are into these days could be considered underground.. it never charts & yet is really popular. I'm never happy trying to work with music I don't know. I ain't 'down wit da kidz' & I sure as hell aren't willing to even pretend.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

The last time that I did a birthday party with that kind of playlist, the guest of honour hired security staff (not a venue requirement - off their own back!).

It's all commercial stuff, but still...for a 13 year old?

Oh well. If that's the type of music they like, then so be it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with it

Got something similar tonight, not quite as bad/good ( delete as appropriate...lol), again a 13th birthday , with foam pit and bouncy castle (inside...)
    Mercifully these gigs don't last more than a couple of hours, some kids attention span is measured in seconds...

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I know a handful of tracks out of that list but wouldn't be comfortable playing any of it. Being that it was for a THIRTEENTH birthday... it's not the bad language.. it's the attitudes portrayed by a lot of the tracks.. misogynistic to the point where they make 'Blurred Lines' sound like a feminist anthem, for starters. Not suitable for adults, let alone kids IMHO.

However, I know the tracks (from working in a club!) and have done bookings similar to this. I always check with the parents first so that they're aware of what I'll be playing if I go with the playlist. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my daughter going to it though when she's 13.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Thanks for all your replys. Back to normality tonight with a nice Xmas party.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

However, I know the tracks (from working in a club!) and have done bookings similar to this. I always check with the parents first so that they're aware of what I'll be playing if I go with the playlist. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my daughter going to it though when she's 13.

Julian
    Do you check with all the parents in attendance or just the party organiser? It might be fine with the parent of the birthday girl/boy, but with a list like that it's almost guaranteed that there will be a few parents that wouldn't be happy. I know I wouldn't. I'd imagine even if faced with the question from the DJ "are you ok with it", it'd be a tough decision to vocalise it or take your youngster away when you have a 13 year old all dressed up and ready to party.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj brummie View Post
    I had a late booking come in for yesterday from a 13th yr olds mother. She gave me this playlist 30 mins before function. How many of you would be able to cater for this type of music. I was totally out my comfort zone.

The part in bold would be my "get out of playing from that list' right away. I state all requests must be in at least 7 days prior, but if it's a late booking then I might extend that to a few days before (as long as I had time to source them. If I was handed that list 30 minutes prior I would just apologise and tell them unfortunately I don't have any of them, but I'd substitute them with some great alternatives.

I've refused point blank to play requests in the past which I felt were inappropriate for young guests in attendance.

I was much like you Shaun and would have done the same but I haven't done a 13th party for 2 years and never will do another.
    When I'm 64.......I know it was a Beatles track....in January I will be even more particular about the gigs I do.
    Last edited by chrisj; 13-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.

I had a similar gig like this in the summer but requests weren't so last minute. I felt really uncomfortable not with the swearing but with the content of the lyrics. I had asked parents and they said it was ok but understood why I asked. I would of loved to have gotten away without playing them but at the end of the day it centres around what the birthday girl wants...if I was a parent I wouldn't be ok with it though.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk