Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD Cloning Software

A Bit late to the party

but I find this very useful

http://file-synchronizer.software.informer.com/

Allows you to copy just the files that have changed, been added without having to copy the whole thing, not a lot of use in this case, but great if you have a hard-drive and a back up drive (which you all have just in case you main drive fails don't you ?) various option and its free !

Regards

Les

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I really, really hope this was sarcasm, Toby.

But, if not, I can sell you a pneumatic road drill for £800 that you can use to crack open your walnuts this Christmas!!

No it wasn't. i am not sure if they have this sort of software for PC, but it works superbly well for Mac.
    Takes an hour to create an exact copy of my hard drive which is really cool.

Its bootable, so if I have any problems I can just swap the hard drive over - sorted.

You can plug in external drives
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Les Brock View Post
    A Bit late to the party

but I find this very useful

http://file-synchronizer.software.informer.com/

Allows you to copy just the files that have changed, been added without having to copy the whole thing, not a lot of use in this case, but great if you have a hard-drive and a back up drive (which you all have just in case you main drive fails don't you ?) various option and its free !

Regards

Les
    What you've described there, Les, is a back-up program that allows incremental back-ups which, to be fair, most good ones do anyway. What Shaun was really looking for was a drive-cloning or duplicating system. There are lots of them out there. The one people usually mention is the Acronis True Image suite. It's back up software, as you've described, but also gets in to disc-imaging so it's capable of cloning a drive. I've never used it but I've never read a bad review.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    No it wasn't. i am not sure if they have this sort of software for PC, but it works superbly well for Mac.
    Takes an hour to create an exact copy of my hard drive which is really cool.

Its bootable, so if I have any problems I can just swap the hard drive over - sorted.

You can plug in external drives
    We do have this kind of software, Toby. Cloning discs is not a Mac-only application!!

Actually, when I worked for Apple in the 90's I used to make images of CDs and DATs so I could "mount" the images as "virtual" discs. Modern-day disc cloning works in pretty much the same way. I'd forgotten all about those things until now!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Successfully cloned now - thanks for all the input.
    How did you eventually do it please Shaun?
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by ian8limelight View Post
    How did you eventually do it please Shaun?
    I ended up ignoring all the advice and using something completely different - thanks again though to all that contributed to the thread though.

Software I used was something I already had 'AOMEI Partition Wizard - it's freeware. It has a function called 'Disc Copy Wizard'. Just click on that, it then gives you the option of doing a quick copy, or copying sector by sector (which I chose), then select your source HDD, click next, select your destination HDD, and click APPLY. Done. I left it doing it's thing overnight and it was complete when I woke up. It seems to have worked perfect. Very simple to use piece of software

My first gig is tonight with the new cloned drive - I'll let you know how it performs!

the option of doing a quick copy, or copying sector by sector (which I chose), then select your source HDD, click next, select your destination HDD, and click APPLY. Done.
    You might want to defrag the new drive, may give it a performance boost and a better lifespan...

Well, new drive worked perfectly tonight. Pheeeew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    You might want to defrag the new drive, may give it a performance boost and a better lifespan...

Good thinking.

Well, new drive worked perfectly tonight. Pheeeew.
    Excellent. Now be a good lad, pop along to Maplins, and buy another one, ready for when this one goes to Silicone Heaven. And keep it up to date, as well.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Excellent. Now be a good lad, pop along to Maplins, and buy another one, ready for when this one goes to Silicone Heaven. And keep it up to date, as well.
    Maplin?? MAPLIN?? Has Shaun won the lottery, then??

I find Maplin to be quite expensive when it comes to hard drives (and, in fact, most things nowadays other than budget DJ gear!! Funny, that!). I was looking at NAS drives and they were about a third cheaper in Argos than they were in Maplin. To be fair, they were even more expensive in the big Tesco superstore. I decided against the NAS drive for now and, instead, got a 3TB Seagate Expansion drive last month at Argos for under £80.

I've never had a problem buying HDDs from Argos before so I'd recommend them to anyone.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Maplin?? MAPLIN?? Has Shaun won the lottery, then??

I find Maplin to be quite expensive when it comes to hard drives (and, in fact, most things nowadays .
    OK, ok. Other vendors are available.

Ebuyer can be worth a look, as can CPC
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk