Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Advice

Default Website Advice

Hi there I'v been a Dj and Karaoke host for over 10 years. I'v just created a website for my company.
    Just wondering what you's think of it, or any changes i need to make to it. feed back would be most appreciated

www.dance-n-time-entertainments.com

Attachment 16960Name:  Karaoke flyer1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  57.9 KB

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.

The first impression of the website is that it is very sparse, and sorry to say, a little home-made (no offence intended). As with any design though, what people may find good or bad in a design is very subjective depending on who you ask.

When looking for a service I always get put off when the only number available to call is a mobile number. I also think that you would be better replacing the 'tru'blue' email address with the [email protected] on the business card/logo design. Having (what looks to be) a football reference email address instead of a dedicated business one comes across as a little less professional than what it could be (in my opinion).

You seem to be using images used by other DJs? Do you own the copyright to the images?

I only checked the first three on the page and they are also being used on these DJs pages...

Hope I've not come across too harsh. Those were the first things that jumped out at me.

Best of luck, I'm sure the good people of the MDD forum will be along to offer a little critique and advice.
    Last edited by Shaun; 13-01-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.

The first impression of the website is that it is very sparse, and sorry to say, a little home-made (no offence intended). As with any design though, what people may find good or bad in a design is very subjective depending on who you ask.

When looking for a service I always get put off when the only number available to call is a mobile number. I also think that you would be better replacing the 'tru'blue' email address with the [email protected] on the business card/logo design. Having (what looks to be) a football reference email address instead of a dedicated business one comes across as a little less professional than what it could be (in my opinion).

You seem to be using images used by other DJs? Do you own the copyright to the images?

Hope I've not come across too harsh. Those were the first things that jumped out at me.

Best of luck, I'm sure the good people of the MDD forum will be along to offer a little critique and advice.
    Cant believe you have not asked him to introduce himself first. That has to be a first.
    I agree with the above and nicking anyones photos is not on is it.

When the images are changed then i will then add some feedback. Try this site: http://www.istockphoto.com
    Last edited by Shaun; 13-01-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I'm a little puzzled why you would have a section titled PRICES, yet not actually publish your prices or provide a means to work them out, you just invite potential clients to go to the trouble of making an email enquiry. For me, that would not be what I was looking for, and would result in me hitting the back button and looking elsewhere.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Number one bugbear for me is the unprofessional & unmemorable contact email address. Do away with it.

As for 'borrowing' images from other sites - that's a BIG no-no. Don't do it, and only use stock photos to convey an impression - don't use them to represent what you do. By that I mean don't use stock photos on a 'gallery' page demonstrating examples of your work - it's misleading & often looks out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I'm a little puzzled why you would have a section titled PRICES, yet not actually publish your prices or provide a means to work them out, you just invite potential clients to go to the trouble of making an email enquiry. For me, that would not be what I was looking for, and would result in me hitting the back button and looking elsewhere.
    I was thinking that - judging by the hour price the charge for 4 hours is £80?
    A prospective clients would think this is your full price looking at that info.
    £20 would not have even covered the fuel to the gig last night.

If you have a prices section i would personally put a "from" price as some sort of guide, or display your actual prices.
    Looking at the hourly one I doubt your too expensive so may be a big selling point.

Anyhow more advice (positive too) if the photos are replaced with royalty free ones.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Trying to avoid what others have said, I would say check your spelling. Not only on this site, but a bit of basic investigation showed me that spelling is an issue on the other sites that you have built.

Copyright 2009. It's been nearly 6 long years since then, and what are people donating to? I notice this on both your DJ site and your website building services site.

Plus what others have said above.

Sorry to add to the negatives, and I am in no way an expert, but those are my thoughts.

top two photos on the home page aren't too bad.

The bottom two and the kenwood ad thing need to go.

Get a proper domain based email address such as [email protected] (though I'd suggest shorting this so you could easily tell someone your email address so maybe [email protected] or [email protected] for example.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    top two photos on the home page aren't too bad.

The bottom two and the kenwood ad thing need to go.

Get a proper domain based email address such as [email protected] (though I'd suggest shorting this so you could easily tell someone your email address so maybe [email protected] or [email protected] for example.

Haha yes this. The number of businesses trying to drum up trade with http://www.unbelievablylongdomainnam....tiscali.co.uk type domains is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Cant believe you have not asked him to introduce himself first. That has to be a first.
    I agree with the above and nicking anyones photos is not on is it.

When the images are changed then i will then add some feedback. Try this site: http://www.istockphoto.com
    This is possibly down to me. John did introduce himself in the Newbies section and gave a little bit of info about himself in the opening couple of lines of his post. However, the post was then repeated a couple of times once in the website section and also in another section (I can't remember off the top of my head which it was). I deleted the post in the other thread as a duplicate and approved this one here (as it made sense being a website help query) and also the one in the Newbies section (not sure where that post has gone!!). So, can we just treat this thread as both a brief introduction and also a website help post? Hopefully!!

UPDATE:

Just checked and the third post was in the main Disco forum. Also, John, if you can make a new post in the Newbies section telling us a bit more about you and your business? Your intro here was a bit short and we're a bunch of nosey so-and-so's here!
    Last edited by DazzyD; 29-12-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!