Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Website Advice

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I know where you're coming from but this just backs up my theory that many people aren't equipped with the appropriate knowledge to run their own businesses. That's not having a go at anyone and I'm not putting anyone down but a lot of small business owners don't have the business knowledge that, say, a degree or professional qualification would bring. A lot don't understand the differences between the various business structures. I'm not going to venture off in to politics other than to say the unemployment figures are falling and the number of people becoming "self-employed" (I use this term loosely!) is rising. I see it in my day job but I fear they are not well-enough equipped to succeed. Again, through no fault of their own. I think anyone who wishes to become self-employed should take a business management course and get some knowledge. Because running a DJ business ain't just about spinning the discs!!

He asked people for their opinions on his website. I just wish he'd stuck around a bit more as he'd have learned an awful lot!

Would you find it an achievement and something to be proud of if, heaven forbid, it failed? While a business is successful it's easy to think that way but, during less good times, it doesn't always feel that way. A lot of company directors keep a bottle of something strong in their top drawer!!
    I guess that depends on what type of person you are. I personally would rather have big company and watch it crumble to nothing than do "alright" all of the time.
    But yes some people do need educating, there are a lot of DJs out there that don't know how to make simple business documents such as an invoice but are very good DJs.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I guess that depends on what type of person you are. I personally would rather have big company and watch it crumble to nothing than do "alright" all of the time.
    But yes some people do need educating, there are a lot of DJs out there that don't know how to make simple business documents such as an invoice but are very good DJs.
    You remind me of me 9 years ago.
    I prefer being this side of 30 though, pottering on with my "little business"
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default change is better....

Just like to say thanks to everyone. Changed a few things on the website. Got ride of the email address. New pictures from my gigs. will add a price list asap.

Always been against price lists myself just to save myself the hassle of dealing with folk when they say...

"hang on it says on your website that prices are from £295!!!"

and then having to say...

"ahh yes but that's only if your name is Roger and there's a new moon and you have a tin of tartan paint"

They seemingly ignore the word "from" and concentrate on the numbers.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Talking new beginnings

once again thanks for the feedback. yous have not scared me off lol.. I am well established in my area and business is great. trying to expand to different regions. thought a would venture out and have a website. If first you don't succeed try and try again.. i will take all comments on board appreciate the pluses and negatives.. just a wee note, read a comment about someone complaining about using the word "Company", so if I have registered with companies house and pay tax every year. Does that mean i have a Company ....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dance N Time View Post
    just a wee note, read a comment about someone complaining about using the word "Company", so if I have registered with companies house and pay tax every year. Does that mean i have a Company ....lol
    If you are registered as Company with Companies Couse, then yes, you are technically a Company. I think the bug bear some people have is when Sole Traders (tax paying businesses registered with HMRC) refer to themselves as companies.

On a side-note: glad we haven't scared you off. Good to have you here at the MDD forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post
    Always been against price lists myself just to save myself the hassle of dealing with folk when they say...

"hang on it says on your website that prices are from £295!!!"

and then having to say...

"ahh yes but that's only if your name is Roger and there's a new moon and you have a tin of tartan paint"

They seemingly ignore the word "from" and concentrate on the numbers.
    I see where you are coming from however I have had prices on my site for about three years and not come up against this (to be fair most gigs are midnight finishes within 30 miles so rarely changes price). It's been great not having the calls from tyre kickers but that's my own personal experience...
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I see where you are coming from however I have had prices on my site for about three years and not come up against this (to be fair most gigs are midnight finishes within 30 miles so rarely changes price)..
    Blimey!! Last week was five miles from home, no lights, and two speakers. Next week is a hundred miles away, 1am finish, and a van full of kit. Variety is the spice of life, eh?

It's not the only reason, but it's one reason I don't have prices on the website. Too many variables.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    On a side-note: glad we haven't scared you off. Good to have you here at the MDD forum.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dance N Time View Post
    once again thanks for the feedback. yous have not scared me off lol.. I am well established in my area and business is great. trying to expand to different regions. thought a would venture out and have a website. If first you don't succeed try and try again.. i will take all comments on board appreciate the pluses and negatives.. just a wee note, read a comment about someone complaining about using the word "Company", so if I have registered with companies house and pay tax every year. Does that mean i have a Company ....lol
    Technically, a company is a business that has become "incorporated". i.e. it's been registered with Companies House as a Private Limited Company and will carry the description "Limited" (often shortened to "Ltd.") after it's name. Despite it's name, it's not a PLC (Public Limited Company) which would need to have "floated" on the stock exchange meaning it has offered shares in the company to the the general public. The "Limited" part restricts the liability of it's owners should the business fail. A sole trader or partnership agreement would be responsible for all debts run up by a failed business but this isn't necessarily the case with a Limited company. However, there are a lot more hoops for directors of a Limited company to jump through than there are with a sole trader/partnership business.

With regards to taxes, sole trader / partnership business owners would pay income tax through self assessment to HMRC each year whereas a Limited company would have to submit full audited accounts each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    +1
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!