Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Website Advice

I do hope the replies here (including mines) dont scare him away. Everything posted so far can help him tweak and improve. There's a lot of great info can be gained from the forum.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I do hope the replies here (including mines) dont scare him away. Everything posted so far can help him tweak and improve. There's a lot of great info can be gained from the forum.

I think we must have scared him off.

On the plus side, some changes (most noticeably) the photos on the site are all his own now. So well done on the tweaks.

Bad man Shaun
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

This has just flared up my NOTaCOMPANYitus again!

Please stop calling your business a company / some also claim they are the director or CEO of your company or business when you are just the owner of a small business.
    I'm sure it's a genuine mistake but please learn what a word means before using it!

Acceptable terms for owners of businesses yet to become companies are:

Owner
    Proprietor
    Business Holder
    Keeper

No offense is of course meant I'm sure some are simply unaware of the meanings but sort it out yeah?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

Please stop calling your business a company / some also claim they are the director or CEO of your company or business when you are just the owner of a small business.
    I'm sure it's a genuine mistake but please learn what a word means before using it!

Owner
    Proprietor
    Business Holder
    Keeper

No offense is of course meant I'm sure some are simply unaware of the meanings but sort it out yeah?
    I would think ownership terminology is the least of his concerns, but good point.

I assume Sean he asked for help and it backfired, but as what i said no problem offering constructive feedback now the images are removed. the negative comments about sites on here is very beneficial but you need the stomach to accept that you may not be as good as you think you are at design and marketing. I look at stuff i did 6 months ago and wonder what possessed me to design it that way etc.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Owner
    Proprietor
    Business Holder
    Keeper

To be fair, I don't mind people using that terminology, as the majority of the time it is used it isn't with any malice or trying to mislead people. Whilst it may not be technically accurate if they aren't a limited company, is it really harming anyone? I've seen those whom are a limited company taken offence here on the forum in the past when others refer to themselves as a company. And when they do I just think "really! is it such a big deal?"..

I hope your 'NOTaCOMPANYitus' clears up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I assume Sean he asked for help and it backfired
    The comments posted weren't intended to drive him away though, or make him think that what he posted had backfired. Although in hindsight, posting the links as I did publicly would have driven me away if that had been my first post. I'll remove those linlk now though, as he has sorted the site and there's no copyright infringement anymore. I hope he pops back on the forum. We're not all bad.
    Last edited by Shaun; 13-01-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    To be fair, I don't mind people using that terminology, as the majority of the time it is used it isn't with any malice or trying to mislead people. Whilst it may not be technically accurate if they aren't a limited company, is it really harming anyone? I've seen those whom are a limited company taken offence here on the forum in the past when others refer to themselves as a company. And when they do I just think "really! is it such a big deal?"..

I hope your 'NOTaCOMPANYitus' clears up soon.
    Hmmm I find it almost like an achievement and something to be proud of, I don't call myself a Dr for example.

Don't worry though my NOTaCOMPANYitus has cleared up and my allergic reaction to bookkeeping has kicked in.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Owner
    Proprietor
    Business Holder
    Keeper

I know where you're coming from but this just backs up my theory that many people aren't equipped with the appropriate knowledge to run their own businesses. That's not having a go at anyone and I'm not putting anyone down but a lot of small business owners don't have the business knowledge that, say, a degree or professional qualification would bring. A lot don't understand the differences between the various business structures. I'm not going to venture off in to politics other than to say the unemployment figures are falling and the number of people becoming "self-employed" (I use this term loosely!) is rising. I see it in my day job but I fear they are not well-enough equipped to succeed. Again, through no fault of their own. I think anyone who wishes to become self-employed should take a business management course and get some knowledge. Because running a DJ business ain't just about spinning the discs!!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I would think ownership terminology is the least of his concerns, but good point.

I assume Sean he asked for help and it backfired, but as what i said no problem offering constructive feedback now the images are removed. the negative comments about sites on here is very beneficial but you need the stomach to accept that you may not be as good as you think you are at design and marketing. I look at stuff i did 6 months ago and wonder what possessed me to design it that way etc.
    He asked people for their opinions on his website. I just wish he'd stuck around a bit more as he'd have learned an awful lot!

Hmmm I find it almost like an achievement and something to be proud of, I don't call myself a Dr for example...
    Would you find it an achievement and something to be proud of if, heaven forbid, it failed? While a business is successful it's easy to think that way but, during less good times, it doesn't always feel that way. A lot of company directors keep a bottle of something strong in their top drawer!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!