Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photobooth printer, software setup etc

Default Photobooth printer, software setup etc

I'm after a little advice for a friend. He wants to start up photobooth business and I've been helping him build the housings etc. He's done photography before but before he splashes out on printer and software he would like some recommendations or any advice in general.

I think he's budgeting around £500 for printer £200 for software

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Software - Darkroom, Breeze, Photoboof. I use Breeze personally.

The only dye-sub I've used is one of these. The print is exceptional and it has been very reliable too. http://www.richardfrankfurt.co.uk/mi...ye-sub-printer

I would be interested in this. My wife has a Photobooth, which is booked quite a bit this year already,
    so we need to look into printing on site. Previously its been photos after the event.

We also need a range of decent backdrops with different colours. Cant find anything the same size (backdrop 4m x 2m)
    We have made our own in the past, which have been good but i would like them to be a bit more professional, non creasable and fireproof.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    We also need a range of decent backdrops with different colours. Cant find anything the same size (backdrop 4m x 2m)
    Toby, please bear with a confused old soul, but is your booth 4m x 2m? Or is that simply the " performance area " ? It's all a bit confusing for folk like me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Toby, please bear with a confused old soul, but is your booth 4m x 2m? Or is that simply the " performance area " ? It's all a bit confusing for folk like me.
    its a manfrotto support with a backdrop, bit like the star cloth ones for DJ's.

So rather than a booth people get in its just a background with a photographer & props.
    Its quite good as you can get large groups in and also individuals. Stll creates the same effect:

Bit like this.
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  82.4 KB

I need to get a video as a few people have asked that. My 70d is used as the camera though so looking at a backup 600d.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    its a manfrotto support with a backdrop, bit like the star cloth ones for DJ's.

So rather than a booth people get in its just a background with a photographer & props.
    Its quite good as you can get large groups in and also individuals. Stll creates the same effect:

Bit like this.
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  82.4 KB

I need to get a video as a few people have asked that. My 70d is used as the camera though so looking at a backup 600d.
    But that has to be the most awkward, fake bunch of smiles I've ever seen! It looks like they're on to the 22nd take and just can't be bothered anymore!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Software - Darkroom, Breeze, Photoboof. I use Breeze personally.

The only dye-sub I've used is one of these. The print is exceptional and it has been very reliable too. http://www.richardfrankfurt.co.uk/mi...ye-sub-printer
    Thanks - I'll pass on that info.
    He's been talking about the costs of paper and ink also - I assumed it'd only be £20-£30 but he reckons it'd be £50 each 3 hour gig, is there a rough cost that you know off the top of your head for each gig with your printer?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Hi,

I have the same printer as Darren and the basic cost of a print works out at 11p per print if you don't include the initial capital cost of the printer itself. It seems the more you spend on the printer the cheaper the running costs are.

I run a similar styled booth to Toby and like him, finding 4m x 2m cloths is almost impossible yet if you look on the US Facebook groups there are loads.

One option is super-king duvet-covers as they are available in a wide range of colours and styles but i'd still prefer a proper sheet to be honest.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post

One option is super-king duvet-covers as they are available in a wide range of colours and styles but i'd still prefer a proper sheet to be honest.
    We have a backdrop thats vintage and sewn together bespoke and a fireproof nice black set of fabric that will do nicely (but needs to be sewn together)
    I really would like something that is ready made and crease proof and as you say - nothing is out there?

The only option would be to reduce the backdrop size, get some nightclub partition type things and make it 2m's etc. rather than 4?
    Last edited by yourdj; 22-01-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm after a little advice for a friend. He wants to start up photobooth business and I've been helping him build the housings etc. He's done photography before but before he splashes out on printer and software he would like some recommendations or any advice in general.

I think he's budgeting around £500 for printer £200 for software
    I have just purchased a dnp rx1 dye sub printer which is £472.00 + vat on pixmania and the film rolls come in packs of 1400 (95.00 +vat)which works out about 7p a print which you can then let the printer cut it in half and you have one for the guest and one for an album. also the film roll comes in two rolls as does the ink rolls so you have immediate back up with just one purchase although i would recommend at least 2 extra rolls and film depending on the event.
    On the software side i have not purchased yet untill i go live but will probably be using dslr pro which is good and quite simple but you do have to pay for any green screen back drops.
    dslr pro price is about 50 dollars for the software or 150 dollars if you choose video option as well.
    i have opted for a photo booth tent which has the logo photo booth sign written all around it and is 1.5 m x 1.5 m square pop up tent and costs £239.00 and is easy to pack up.
    gold posts red ropes and red carpet and curtain cost me 120.00
    other things i made were light box with 2 x 5700 lumens natural daylight bulbs and diffuser screen
    main box with 22 inch touch screen, laptop, speakers and canon eos 100d (certain software only supports certain cameras but canon seems to be well supported)
    bottom box holding printer etc .
    all in all this project has cost me about 1500.00 so far, just need a few more things such as strobe lamp, green screen curtain which i need some advice on, props for the booth and also i need to sort out pli for it and sort out risk assessments etc.
    looking forward to getting it going but might have to do a few cheap nights to get used to running it though
    One last thing i think if you can learn a bit about dslr photography rather than leave everything on auto on the camera it might help out when the pictures go skew whiff.
    just remembered as well there is a dye sub printer that uses roll film that has a sticky back so you can peel off the back and stick the bruide and grooms guest pictures straight into the album or message board and also the guest can stick it straight on the fridge. its called a brava 21e and is about 1000.00 inc vat.