Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Protecting Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It's the only time I do this sort of thing. Just buying kit to reduce the tax bill has always seemed completely pointless to me (and HMRC do look at that sort of thing as well - in effect you're claiming capital expenditure on a hobby as far as they're concerned).
    That was my point. I too often see people saying they are buying equipment so they can bring their tax bill down to nothing (and in effect, their profit).

Of course, as a business expense, naturally there's a preference to buying it through the business.

But I'm sure this is an expense you'd rather not had had to pay for, and would rather have had the £3k profit of which you paid tax on...

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I see where you are coming from - I think a lot of people thing 'Tax Deductible' means they get them for free not just save the tax payment. Never understood either these people who say 'I have to spend some money' or 'my accountant has told me to spend more'
    Precisely my point.

Spending £1k doesn't save you £1k of tax. It might reduce your tax by about £300, but means you're also losing £700 of money that would have gone in to your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    That was my point. I too often see people saying they are buying equipment so they can bring their tax bill down to nothing (and in effect, their profit).

Of course, as a business expense, naturally there's a preference to buying it through the business.

But I'm sure this is an expense you'd rather not had had to pay for, and would rather have had the £3k profit of which you paid tax on...

Precisely my point.

Spending £1k doesn't save you £1k of tax. It might reduce your tax by about £300, but means you're also losing £700 of money that would have gone in to your pocket.
    You're making the mistake of assuming most DJs have any sort of business sense

Anyways back to the topic at hand - I was at my work's prom on Thursday and it was a great night and a good friend was DJing but by the end I had a splitting head because of the volume - I've no idea how DJs can go out every week without hearing protection.

OK - back to the plot then.....

Today was the day I had the hearing aids fitted and all I can say is WOW!

In actual fact, it's been more than a little emotional as I've finally realised what the lost 30% of my hearing actually was! It's been like taking ear-defenders off after many years and actually being able to hear things very clearly (you can notice the difference very acutely when remove the hearing aids - it's a frightening difference!).

They're going to take a couple of weeks to get used to apparently (and I can believe that....it doesn't feel entirely natural having them shoved into my ear canals and they itch like hell from time to time - I'm told that's normal)....but already it's more than worth it just for the amount I can actually hear now. It's absolutely unbelievable that such tiny speakers (for that's what they are at the end of the day and the business end isn't much bigger than a pin-head!) can produce such sound.

I've already used them for MP3 streaming (wires are sooooo last century), and phone calls . They're cool

Tomorrow - I'm bringing the DXR15s and the mixer home to test them as "cans" under the pressure of 95db (according to the audiologist they will also act as attenuators which means I won't need earplugs....I'm going to be interested to see if/how they work in that situation because in my mind they're there to amplify sound....but I'm assured they should work in the same way as custom fit plugs if not better.

Now....if I can find some sort of EQ that works on an iPhone for the Amazon Music app.....I'll be a very happy bunny indeed

Great news, bet your glad you went in for the test now! I will have to watch what I am saying around you in future.

Sounds like that may be an option for my left ear in a few years time. Its very sensitive and even now its humming.

If you can configure them to eq the music that would be great. I can just see bedroom DJ guest looking a bit puzzled.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    If you can configure them to eq the music that would be great. I can just see bedroom DJ guest looking a bit puzzled.
    Just done it, tested it.....and am blown away by it!

The ComPilot (which is the accessory bit which does the streaming to the hearing aids) has a jack plug connector in it (as well as bluetooth and everything else). So, lead between the ComPilot and the mixer....et voila!

There's no lag (which is what I was frightened of), the aids do suppress the sound coming in from the outside (although need to test that in a real-world environment....it's weird because the sound I'm getting from the outside world is as clear as a bell as opposed to wearing normal attenuators), and the cue is there in the background. Whether it's loud enough in a real world environment to work....I need to test. I suspect it will be though.

I can see I'm going to be freaking out the usual "I'm a DJ too" at every party I go to from now on

Strike me pink, we've got a cyborg on the site now!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Strike me pink, we've got a cyborg on the site now!
    A truly digital DJ for the 21st Century

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    A truly digital DJ for the 21st Century
    I'm just hoping you don't start picking up taxi radio signals, tv remotes and garage door openers!!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm just hoping you don't start picking up taxi radio signals, tv remotes and garage door openers!!
    I can remember using ferrite rings on speaker cables to stop that shame that they are wireless