Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tough times at present

Go for it!
    You know how it works. I personally don't advertise my prices online or anywhere for that matter so nobody knows what I charge anyway.
    Customers like to think that they are getting a good deal, I know I do.

I'm definitely at the more budget end of bookings at the moment, but trying to work my way up a bit as I hopefully get more established

However I am not doing bad for bookings - including the walk-ons I was doing late on Saturday nights after my pub gigs, I've done 9 gigs since 2nd Jan (the only weekend I have not worked was Jan 3rd/4th)

I turned down the last walk-on last night so I could get my PA packed onto the van for DJ demo day today otherwise it would have been 10.

I have currently got just 3 more confirmed bookings on my books, but I find my bookings mostly come in on fairly short notice so I'm not looking to far ahead.

The reason for this post is not to say 'hey look how well I am doing guys', but it is more to say there obviously is work out there at the low end (me) as well as the high end, looming recessions or not

At least round here

Rich

I'm part time rather than a hobbyist. Certainly not a 50 quid charlie.

This Jan I managed a whopping 2 gigs. This is because I spent 50% of December ill with flu and had to give away all my bookings to a mate company (inc a lucrative NYE party with NYD follow up). I never got near the computer to do any advertising and responses to client enquiries.

Its took me most of Jan to get the ball rolling again, So got 4 in Feb and 4 in Mar.

On the flip side my mate who runs the company has had 3-4 DJ's out every weekend and charges a lot more than me (for what I feel is a lot less, often walk in DJs and sub optimal rigs).

A guy who i've been training up to DJ who is working as an extra for this company has done easily twice as many parties as me, none of which have been his bookings
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

what is really galling is the dates bookings are coming in for - had 4 bookings this weekend all would make me double booked so gonna send my mate to them
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    and charges a lot more than me (for what I feel is a lot less, often walk in DJs and sub optimal rigs).
    Funny enough I had this very conversation with myself yesterday (I know....one of the first signs of insanity).
    I've suddenly had a mass of bookings coming in (happy days are here again).

One though stuck out (and this ISN'T the start of a pricing thread).....

I've always had a fairly set price for kids parties. Let's face it, they're normally a Sat/Sun afternoon for a couple of hours, minimal rig and you can do them, games included, on autopilot....they're easy money for me to supplement some of the abysmal prices people expect to pay for 4-5 hours on Saturday night at times.

Yesterday, I had a FB message requesting a 3 hour party for a load of 6 year olds. Here we go I said to myself, knowing what the average FB request is looking for, and doubled, yes DOUBLED my normal rate (I didn't think it was going to go anywhere unless I went in at sub £100 for it as is the majority of these ones) so had nothing to lose.

She's bitten my hand off and booked!
    It's a three hour job (bear in mind at least 30 mins of that is spent eating and doing the birthday cake), for nearly as much money as I get round here for a 4-5 hour adult party.....????????

Maybe it's time to look at a massive price rise all round

I keep Kids parties on the cheap for all those reasons plus the fact you can normally still work the night
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    I keep Kids parties on the cheap for all those reasons plus the fact you can normally still work the night
    That's what I've always done and for the same reasons....

However if I can make more out of them.......

I don't do them very often but when I do kids parties, for a good few days after it I think "why am I driving myself demented with these weddings when I could be doing that and probably for more £££ per hour?!?!?!?!" Honestly if I was to start over again, I think that would be the route I'd go rather than where I've ended up.

Anyway Gary sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. You've always been one of the good guys as long as I've known you and been involved in the forums, meets and groups.

The problem I find is it's the easiest thing int he world for someone to say "you've got to sell yourself to the client." but actually doing it, let's be fair we're not rocket scientists, most clients don't care if you've rubbing QSC or Maplin and they really do just assume it's a matter of pushing buttons (i.e. they don't appreciate how much experience involves reading the crowd etc...) so trying to sell yourself to someone who's had a quote for under half your price is difficult when they won't even speak to you.

I know the markets are different here but if even getting them to have a chat is an issue then you might need to rethink how you're going about things.

A sale is one possible solution but then what happens when your price goes back up?

To get yourself back in the game it might be worth offering a more limited service at a reduced price. It doesn't happen a lot but there's the odd bride who would rather take a bit off the price for me not to meet with the before hand or to take a stripped back lighting rig... You could always have a base package and then work on up selling from there once you've opened the dialogue?

Always happy to have a look over your e-mail response too if you want. Mine is by no means perfect but I might be able to pick up on some things you've missed or give you some ideas from mine that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I don't do them very often but when I do kids parties, for a good few days after it I think "why am I driving myself demented with these weddings when I could be doing that and probably for more £££ per hour?!?!?!?!" Honestly if I was to start over again, I think that would be the route I'd go rather than where I've ended up.

Anyway Gary sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. You've always been one of the good guys as long as I've known you and been involved in the forums, meets and groups.

The problem I find is it's the easiest thing int he world for someone to say "you've got to sell yourself to the client." but actually doing it, let's be fair we're not rocket scientists, most clients don't care if you've rubbing QSC or Maplin and they really do just assume it's a matter of pushing buttons (i.e. they don't appreciate how much experience involves reading the crowd etc...) so trying to sell yourself to someone who's had a quote for under half your price is difficult when they won't even speak to you.

I know the markets are different here but if even getting them to have a chat is an issue then you might need to rethink how you're going about things.

A sale is one possible solution but then what happens when your price goes back up?

To get yourself back in the game it might be worth offering a more limited service at a reduced price. It doesn't happen a lot but there's the odd bride who would rather take a bit off the price for me not to meet with the before hand or to take a stripped back lighting rig... You could always have a base package and then work on up selling from there once you've opened the dialogue?

Always happy to have a look over your e-mail response too if you want. Mine is by no means perfect but I might be able to pick up on some things you've missed or give you some ideas from mine that work?
    Cheers thanks Jim.Some good points you have raised there

I think its the quality of the enquiries that's changed. I am in the "high end" of the wedding market in my area,im probably one of the most expensive or so I kept getting told. Looking at the enquiries id say that's why im not getting the bookings because they are mostly looking at mid to budget range.Some of the "higher end" venues that I used to be getting quotes for are just not happening right now.

Im local to Gary, and am finding the same issue. Plenty enquiries, few bookings.

Far too many 'cheap' discos around here. I leave them to it. Not interested in the clients who still expect a DJ for less than £100

Not sure having a sale will do much good. What happens when a client comes back to you in a year and days 'but you did for £xx last time'
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk