Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual one !

Question Unusual one !

Been deejaying for many years and for the first time ever, will be doing a 70th birthday party. The highest number I've done before, are 40th's, so this is quite a leap. The first thing that comes to my mind, is Beatles and Elvis, but can you name any really fast ones they did? What tracks would you be thinking of?

I've done a number of 70th's (I've got one in a couple of weeks time), 80th's and also 100th's believe it or not and when I first took on the bookings I thought the same thing as you BUT, these bookings are generally big family affairs so the age range of the guests is varied. I'd just go out and do what you always do. Be up for requests and find out what the birthday boy or girl's personal favourites are.
    Depending on when it is too, it might be worth getting them to get some requests from their guests in advance.

Edited - Sorry, I replied too quickly.
    With reference to The Beatles - Back in the USSR, I Saw Her Standing There (both work well for me)
    Elvis - Although there are masses of stuff to play, Bossa Nova Boogie and A Little Less Conversation work well and are enjoyed and recognised by most.
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 08-02-2015 at 08:53 AM.

As above, they are normally family affairs, you will have very young children upwards. Play it by ear. If there are a lot of oldies there, they would probaly like a waltz or two. Things like the Slosh will go down well, and mainstream pop like Olly Murs. As for the Beatles, I would play the Take That Beatles medley. Obviously Abba, Whitney, Tiffany, 9 to 5 (Dolly) Islands in the Stream, and Jim Reeves I Love You Because went down very well at the last 70th I did about 4 months ago.

I love wide age range discos, you can have a lot of fun playing stuff you wouldn't ordinarily play.

Edit, I see you are in Kent, Chas and Dave is a must, Ain't no pleasing you, Sideboard song, Rabbit, London girls.

With technology these days and people refusing to get old, I would hazard a guess they wanted easy listening pop like call me maybe, shake it off, bruno Mars, take that etc. I have done a lot of that age group and they are more hip than the young folk, who seem to go for 80's/90's nostalgia. Perhaps I just get cool clients LOL.

Get a track list i always get up to 60 tracks for events I am not sure about. its probably a mixed event as per the above, so largely a wedding type party I assume.
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-02-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline" and Tom Jones "Delilah" are a must for this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline" and Tom Jones "Delilah" are a must for this kind of thing.
    Maggie May, Wonderful tonight & Simply the Best
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Brilliant, getting some good ideas. Thanks. Good idea to base it on a wedding them. I'll do that, but a few more tracks based on swing, jive, ceroc and rock & roll - any other groups to think of? What would be the best two fast dance tracks in those four areas please?

Quote Originally Posted by little al View Post
    As above, they are normally family affairs, you will have very young children upwards. Play it by ear. If there are a lot of oldies there, they would probaly like a waltz or two. Things like the Slosh will go down well, and mainstream pop like Olly Murs. As for the Beatles, I would play the Take That Beatles medley. Obviously Abba, Whitney, Tiffany, 9 to 5 (Dolly) Islands in the Stream, and Jim Reeves I Love You Because went down very well at the last 70th I did about 4 months ago.

I love wide age range discos, you can have a lot of fun playing stuff you wouldn't ordinarily play.

Edit, I see you are in Kent, Chas and Dave is a must, Ain't no pleasing you, Sideboard song, Rabbit, London girls.
    Is Slosh the name of the song?

"Shake, Rattle & Roll": "Johnny B Goode": "Good Golly Miss Molly": "In The Mood": "Chattanooga Choo Choo": and hook out some Bobby Darren.
    Oh and Motown for definate!

Quote Originally Posted by DJStevie View Post
    Is Slosh the name of the song?
    No its a dance. The most popular tunes for it is Daniel Boon - Beautiful Sunday. It can also be done to Dawn - Knock Three Times, Amarillo, Tony Christie and The Archies - Sugar Sugar.

To be honest, I think its more popular up here in Scotland.