Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMX bandits

Default DMX bandits

How many of you fellows are actually using a fix controller for your lights and how easy do u find programming them
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    How many of you fellows are actually using a fix controller for your lights and how easy do u find programming them
    Fix (fixed?) controller? Do you mean a hardware (DMX) controller?

I had all my lights programmed with a hardware (DMX) controller up until a few years ago, when the controller developed a fault and I moved back to sound to light. Over the last few months I've started re-programming them into a hardware controller again. I've used PC based ones in the past but I do prefer having a 19" rack-mounted one. How do I find re-programming them...TEDIOUS... MIND-NUMBING....and TEEEEEDIOUS!. I find it best to have a few fast scenes, a few inter-mediate speed scenes....and as many slow scenes as possible. Between those settings and the in-built chases in the lighting effects it's enough to cover most nights. That said, I was booked for an exclusive opening of a posh hotel last year and they asked for all lighting to be turquoise only, so that was another day or so of programming. As much as I love the effect of a really nice programmed DMX scene(s), the task in itself is something I detest with a passion.

I use the martin 2510 controller for my martin lights,it has built in scenes,programmes and I find it really good

for my acme\prolight lights I use the handheld CA8 controller

for my adj tri pars I use the adj rgb 3 channel dmx controller

Sorry posted from phone yes a fixed controller. I'm going to try a PC unit myself after a year of music to light
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Freestyler DMX software with a DMX King interface coupled with Wireless DMX modules from Hong Kong

Got to agree with the above, DMX programming is the most mind numbing job I have ever had to do.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

This is the best thing I have found. Not much support though now and a few issues although my unit is fine.

I have never wanted a second laptop or controller, so this is a simple option.
    Waiting patiently for a decent iPad App.

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Im hoping that on my Staggs I can just lock the range to point up and forward then let music do the rest - otherwise i'll be speaking to my band buddy who does this kind of thing for his shows.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Im hoping that on my Staggs I can just lock the range to point up and forward then let music do the rest - otherwise i'll be speaking to my band buddy who does this kind of thing for his shows.
    Just getting into DMX at the moment using an Obey 70 (I've been playing with the software stuff and really don't get on with it at all).
    To answer the first question....yes then I'm on a hardware controller.

As for the Staggs - they're on my list of things to do tonight (something very similar to what you're after in fact). From what I can see, you can't actually "limit" the movement as such.

What you can do(and I'm sure one of the experts with much greater knowledge on this than me will correct if I'm wrong) is to program the scenes to make them go up and forward to where you want them. Once the scenes are programmed, sound active takes over with the control anyway. All you're doing in effect is over-riding the built in S2L stuff (I for one want to stop mine pointing backwards)

Snap, ive got mine on truss with a backdrop so its a waste of time them going 360. Down isn't all bad but I do want them to be an addition rather than on all teh time
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Got a lend of an Obey 70 as well as MyDMX 2 at the same time.

Couldn't get my head round the Obey 70 but took to MyDMX2 like a duck to water.

I actually quick like programming it, the biggest faff is setting it all up and then having to tidy it away