Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie in need of some lighting advice

Default Newbie in need of some lighting advice

Hi,

I've been a bedroom dj for several years but have no experience of lighting and could do with some advice to help me get started.

I'm wanting to organise some private parties for friends playing mainly house and trance. I've also been asked if I would consider being the dj at my cousin's wedding. I've got all the dj equipment I am likely to need and a suitable PA system but could do with buying some lights that would be suitable for both types of event.

I'm going to buy a 4ft dj stand with a crossbar and am looking for maybe 2 or 3 lights that would work well together for starters. Unfortunately I've only got a fairly modest budget of about £200 for the lights to start off with and I could really do with some guidance on which type of lights I will need and which would work well together. I quite like the idea and simplicity of the Chauvet GigBar but don't have the budget for that. Other lights that I like the look of and are potentially in my price range are the Chauvet Swarm 5FX, Chauvet Mini Kinta, Acme Festival, Equinox Quadzilla, Equinox Quattro, ADJ Revo Sweep, Equinox Cyclops and ADJ Color Burst LED. Would any of these be good starter lights? Ideally

Could anyone recommend a suitable combination of lights that would cover all the bases and work well together and come in within my budget?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Allan. First off welcome to the forum, hope you benefit from the knowledge here. Secondly, we like folks to introduce themselves in the Newbies section, although effectively, you've done that already. It would still be nice if you could, we like to know who we're dealing with, and it can help us to give better advice.

To the matters in hand: The gigbar is in some people's opinion, a one box solution. On Sunday, I met a couple of DJs who had seen it in action and weren't impressed. Most folk think it looks awful, until you turn it on, and then it's great. £400 is a lot of money though.

You mentioned the Swarm, that's similar, but different. Smaller, neater, and cheaper, but not as versatile, perhaps. I'd say it's better used as a centrepiece between two other types of lights. Still £200 for one unit.

What's best for you? Hopefully, others will be along soon with their thoughts.
    If you'd gone to Coalville last Sunday, you'd have been offered a load of " pre-loved " dj lights at keen prices. Also, you'd have heard over thirty PA systems, although probably at least twenty nine would have been outside your budget.

PA wise, I'd suggest two 15" active ( self powered, no external amp needed ) speakers would be the most versatile, cost effective answer for you. If you respect their capabilities, budget offerings like QTX will do just fine. Please remember that two £100 plastic cabs will never deliver the sound that can pin your customers to the back wall in a large sports hall, but they'll fill the dancefloor all night long in a small room. It's a lot like asking a Transit connect to move the same load as a big Merceded sprtinter in the same amount of time, it can't be done.

Keep asking, the answers will appear, and by all means let us know what you've found/been offered, we can soon give them a thumbs up or down.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to stick a post on the Newbie forum to introduce myself later today.

I think I'm sorted on the PA system front. I bought a £500+ set-up for my dad a few years back and it's been stuck up in his loft most of the time since then. I can't remember off the top of my head what the spec was but I'm sure it will be powerful enough for anything I will want to do with it.

Its on the lights front that I'm struggling. It's a shame I didn't ask the question last week by the sound of things because Coalville wouldn't have been too far for me to drive down and have a look. I'm certainly not against the idea of picking up some keenly-priced second-hand lights if anyone has anything they are looking to sell?

I can probably pick up a Swarm FX5 for about £170 which would blow a big part of my budget, but I suppose I could buy extra lights later. Assuming I had a Swarm as my centrepiece light what sort of lights would be best to go either side? Would a pair of Equinox LED Par 56 Short Eco Par Cans do the job or is there something else I should be looking at?

I've been offered an Equinox Quadzilla for £75. Do you have any knowledge of that light? I also like the look of the Chauvet Mini Kintas at £65 and they seem to get a good review. I'm just not sure what combination of lights would work well together as a starter set-up. I'd probably also need something with good sound activated automation because I don't have any experience of DMX.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

When is your cousin's wedding? The reason I ask is because I would suggest that if there is time, you could save up a bit more for your lighting. There is obviously stuff out there available for your budget but if the option is there to wait, I would seriously consider doing that.

However, if there is no time to wait then the above answer is useless to you. So, with that in mind:

I've seen DJ's use the Kam Power Party Bar and it's nice enough. I think it needs an effect light with it, like the Jellydome, Vertigo Hex or the Quad Phase but you can do an entire gig with just the Kam.

Maybe try and buy two of the Mega QA Par 38, or two Mega Tripar Profile to act as washes for the room. Bear in mind that having two won't give off a great wash for the room, but it will be nice enough. With the remaining money, you can buy an effect light.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be sure to put an introduction on the Nebies section tonight. I was a bit torn as to where topost because I didn’t think it would be appropriate to put all my lighting questions in that section.

I think I’m sorted as far as the PA system goes. I bought one for my dad a few years back and it has been sat in his loft most of the time since then. I can’t remember the exact spec but it cost about £500 and I’m sure it will be powerful enough for anything I’m likely to need it for.

I must admit I like the look of the Chauvet Swarm and can pick a B-Grade one up for about £160 which would blow the bulk of my initial budget but I could always look to buy extra lights further down the line. Assuming I went for a Swarm as a centrepiece light, what kind of lights would I choose to put either side of it? Would I need something simple like some Equinox par cans or the Mega Pars that Benny suggested to create a wash or could I pair it up with something a bit more flambouyant? I quite like the look of the Chauvet Mini Kintas for £65 but I’m guessing a pair of those along with a Swarm would be much too ‘busy’. Would the Mini Kinta be consdered an effect light (see, I really am completely new to all this!). I suppose the problem that I’ve got is that my house/trance parties for friends want lights with significant nightclub style ‘Wow’ factor but I’m assuming that a wedding disco will need something considerably more sedate. Is it possible to get a ‘one size fits all solution’ or will I need to get a different lighting set up for each scenario?

Given that the wedding would likely be a one-off (unless I get the bug for it) my main priority would be get something for my private party club nights. Presumably that will have a significant bearing on the lights I should choose.

Ok…. So what have I been offered so far:

Well I’ve had an Equinox Quadzilla at £75 suggested and I can pick up the Mini Kintas for £65 each. I’ve had a suggestion of an Equinox comet at £54.99 as a centrepiece with a pair of QTX Twister III at £32 each. I’ve also had an American DJ Revo 3 for £115 suggested.

In fairness they all look good and I could happily buy one of each over time to add to my collection but I’m guessing you cant just throw a bunch of different lights together and hope that they will work well together. The other thing is that I have got no experience of DMX so initially I would want something that has good sound automation so that I can concentrate on the dj-ing and leave the light show to take care of itself…. Or is that unrealistic?

The wedding is in August so a fair way off yet but I’d like to start building up my lighting set up now so that I have got some time to experiment/practice with it all before the big day. Incidentally…. Its being held at an expensive castle wedding venue. Am I likely to need all my equipment PAT tested and have public liability in place to be able to do it? That would probably be a deal-breaker as far as the wedding goes because I won’t be getting paid and I’m guessing that wouldn’t be cheap.

I’m grateful for the comments I have received so far and would welcome input from anyone else on here who could help me spend my budget wisely. I’m not against the idea of buying ‘pre-loved’ either, if anyone has something that they are looking to sell that may tick all the boxes.

For smaller functions, I have an ADJ Dotz TPar system I use, supplemented with a tri colour laser and a couple of mini kintas. I like the kintas as they can give an effect round the room and, when set on auto, they don't need sound, so the lights move around even on background music which, I think, gives added atmosphere. They run in master & slave configuration with a connecting DMSX lead.

I've had then since they first came out and like to replace lights on a regular basis, so, if you were interested, I could be persuaded to part with them both for a decent offer.

I also have a Revo 3 that I throw up too sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    Hi,

I've been offered an Equinox Quadzilla for £75. Do you have any knowledge of that light? I also like the look of the Chauvet Mini Kintas at £65 and they seem to get a good review. I'm just not sure what combination of lights would work well together as a starter set-up. I'd probably also need something with good sound activated automation because I don't have any experience of DMX.
    I had a Quad for about a week, hated it not very good! the Mini Kinta is a room filler lots of dots and vey bright, My only concern is they are not the most reliable of units ( I have had 6).

I would keep an eye out for good second hand stuff, lots available.

I could be interested in buying the Mini Kintas and I see you are pretty local so I could maybe collect them in person. I can get a brand new pair for £125 delivered.... so what would you consider to be a decent offer?

If I went for a pair of Mini Kintas would I just need something like the ADJ Dotz bar to go inbetween them?

If I was starting up from scratch, the first lighting effect I would buy would be a 'Powerbar' type of fixture without any doubt whatsoever. They are virtually a complete lightshow by themselves, I know of several DJs doing £500+ weddings using just one of these as their complete lightshow, and many others using a 'Powerbar' with a couple of LED fixtures to give a little more movement. Several manufacturers have their versions of this effect, including KAM, Equinox, Chauvette and Stairville. My recommendation would be the Stairville Tri Led Bundle 'Click' HERE In my opinion at just £214 including delivery and a 3 year guarantee, is unbeatable value for money and within your budget.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

That does look like an impressive piece of kit for the money Pe7e and the 3 year guarantee would be appealing.

Are there any particular LED units you would you recommend to go with it? Would the second-hand pair of Mini Kintas that mattydj50 has make a decent set-up or even something like the Equinox Quadzilla?

On a practical note.... if I had something like that would I need a pair of them for symmetry or would I just position it behind the dj stand?