Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denon MC3000 / Soundcraft EFX8 Desk

Default Denon MC3000 / Soundcraft EFX8 Desk

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a Soundcraft EFX8 desk which I propose to use with my Denon MC3000 which only has 1/4" Jack Balanced Outputs. I am a complete newbie to a desk and have a few questions.

How do I connect the Denon to the EFX8 ? Do I use Balanced Stereo or Unbalanced Mono cables ?

Also, Do I use the line inputs 1 and 2 channels or do I use the Stereo 1 Input ?

I am completely bamboozled ;-(

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance ;-)

Name:  Soundcraft EFX8 Mixer.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  86.3 KB

The MC3000 has unbalanced outputs, I thought.. as well as balanced on 1/4" jack sockets.

Just use dual RCA to 1/4" jack plug cable to take audio from the MC3000 to the stereo input on the Soundcraft desk, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-inch-J...+1%2F4%22+plug

I was looking to go balanced if I could ?

I have went from the 1/4" jack on the Denon to the Stereo input with 2 x mono cables to try it & seems to be ok.

I want to go for a balanced connection, So am I right it thinking I need 2 x balanced stereo cables with 1/4" jacks on both ends to achieve this ?

Or do I just require 2 x balanced mono cables ?

Thanks, Steve.
    Last edited by sgldisco; 02-03-2015 at 09:34 AM.

For short lengths, unbalanced will be just fine. Heck, in more than one place I've worked a feed piped to another part of the venue was unbalanced. Unscreened in one case, even.. Without any issues, surprisingly.

The balanced inputs on your mixer are for microphones anyway, so to use them you'd have to 'pad' the line level signals from you're controller down, not to mention having to use two channels for one stereo pair.

Unbalanced interconnects are fine for lengths of up to 3 metres or so, if you use good quality cable & connectors.

What he says - you dont need balanced feed with two devices sitting next to each other - just use the RCA connections

PS that is a monster desk for just DJing - does it fit on the stand ok
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Thanks for your input guys ! Desk fits without issue. I needed something that would suit other work including my acoustic guitar & a minimum of 5 mic channels with fx. Does the job brilliantly, Had a play this morning & I'm blown away by the difference in sound. Happy chappy ;-)

If I buy two of these Balanced Stereo leads, Can I run from the L & R Balanced jack on the MC3000 to the L & R Stereo input on the desk ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Livewire-1...item4d031c17c8

Assuming the Denon doesn't mind you shorting one side of its balanced out to ground, no problem.

That might be okay... You can usually get away with it on pro audio gear but....

I'm not very keen to try that if it's not correct. Seems I can't use the balanced output & will need to use RCA to Jack.

Thanks for your help ;-)

Update: I RTFM for the efx8 & guess what? The stereo inputs on the quarter inch jacks ARE balanced, so go right ahead & use balanced quarter inch leads for left & right from the MC3000 :-)