Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going full time and looking for advice!

Is the job you are currently in a skilled job. What I mean is, could you walk in to another one easily enough if the full time DJ thing doesn't work out?

If it is and you're confident that you'd be ok then I'd say go for it because you never know unless you try.

Following this with great interest at the moment....this could well be me in the next 12 months.

I'm a software engineer by trade at the moment, but the job's looking more than flaky. The business model the company operates (not my company by the way....I'm only an employee) is outdated and the lack of work over the past couple of years is starting to show that. Add to this that the bosses are going to hit retirement age next year and the writing's pretty much on the wall....it's just a case of biding my time (after 12 years the payout should be good), and building up the disco business.

Can I go back into programming when my current job goes? Doubtful. I'm 45 this year and in the IT world, you're sadly considered to be past it, regardless of commercial experience and achievements. Believe it or not, it's also next to impossible to keep up with the technology like the youngsters do as well (did I really say that out loud?). Plus, after 20 years in the IT world, I think it's probably going to be time for a complete change.

So....looking at the possibility of going full time myself (possibly with something part time during the day to boost the finances). The disco's going really well, the gigs are coming in and the money I'm getting is good. I'm at the stage at the moment where my outlay of £15k is going to repay itself after just 15 months back (I haven't taken any salary from the business yet....I'd rather it paid for itself first). Just need to get a van and that's pretty much all the outlay done.

I've hired the services of Mr Pengelly, and so far I'm impressed with the change in my own personal outlook at what I do and how much I can actually get away with charging. I feel he can really help me to push this fledgling business into something that can actually provide a decent wage over the next few months. Because my full time job's quiet, I've got the time at the moment to do the background stuff to build the business up, the only limit really is the number of times I can go out during the week and that's just due to the physical energy needed to do in effect, 2 jobs.

So....watching this and taking in the advice at the moment...keep it coming. I'm under no illusion how hard it could be (I work bloody hard on it at the moment anyway).....it's just a case of seeing what happens over the next few months and being ready to make the jump when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    If it is and you're confident that you'd be ok then I'd say go for it because you never know unless you try.
    With a few exceptions I totally agree, but being DJ for the most part is a 2 day a week job, unless you have corporate gigs and mid week weddings coming in, so you MUST use the extra time you have free to your best advantage. This obviously requires a good degree of self motivation, unfortunately many don't seem to have this, preferring to spend their time on their play stations or similar devices. Self employment offers many opportunities you never imagined existed, but it comes at a price, you really do have to put the effort in, or it will inevitably end in tears, it's NOT the easy option.

I personally know of several people who have lost their redundancy payments on ill-conceived business ventures, and one couple who actually lost their house. I don't suppose I'll win many friends with this statement, but IMO, the mobile DJ business is in a period of decline at the moment, mostly due to advances in technology, high unemployment, low wages, lack of disposable income etc. etc. Good incomes are still available to those at the top of their game, but it can't be much fun if you are forced to compete with the plethora of £60 Sids who appear to exist these days.

Unless you are confident you can attract a better paying clientele, think very carefully before you take the plunge. Having said that, opportunities certainly exist, a good friend of mine started out doing teen type discos in local pub type venues, but is now providing the lighting and PA to 'high end' boxing shows, for fees that would make your eyes water, the opportunities are there if you look for them, or have the ability to spot them, but it doesn't happen by accident.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Agree with what you've said there.
    Most of the time I am out DJing at least twice a week and when I first started out and was charging a different price it was difficult at times especially in the quiet periods at the beginning of the year for example. You have to account for that.
    Now, it's a different scenario with me as my pricing is different and I can quite easily go out twice at the weekend and not have to worry but it's taken a while to get there.
    All of the equipment is paid for and I don't owe anyone anything apart from the new van which I am paying for monthly.

Yes, there are times during the week where dare I say it, I get slightly bored but that's not often. I don't think I'd have the energy to go out and do a day time job as well as what I do now.
    Being a full time DJ does have its advantages too over the part timer's (I don't mean anything negative towards part timer's by the way), because you are available to do midweek bookings easier without worrying about having to get time off or pull a sickie. That's just one example but being full time also means that you have time during the week to keep ahead of yourself and do all of the little niggly things to do with the business too. For example, I update my accounts, music and lots of other stuff too on a daily, sometimes weekly basis.

There have also been a number of occasions (especially over the last few months) where someone has called me up to provide a service to them midweek during the afternoon. Again, for example: Last week on a Wednesday afternoon I supplied a Projector and small PA System for a conference. This afternoon the projector and screen are out again for a photo slideshow for a wake after a funeral service. Next week I have an afternoon fun race night for a corporate booking at the companies premises.
    These are all things that have bought in extra income because I am a full timer. If I had been part time I would not have got these bookings.

Also, don't forget that with reference to weddings, a number of Brides & Grooms are getting married on different days now because venues are offering cheaper prices.
    I have a number of weddings this year that are on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Last year I had a lot of them and on checking back it looks like I did a wedding on every day of the week.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'd personally say go for it.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Also, don't forget that with reference to weddings, a number of Brides & Grooms are getting married on different days now because venues are offering cheaper prices.
    I actually believe Thursday weddings will have aboom in the next few years. It actually makes a lot of sense for guests - book the Thursday off for the wedding itself, Friday to recover and it's a long weekend, whereas a Wednesday you'd book the Thursday to recover and then will have to book the Friday off too, because what's the point in going back to work for one day before the weekend? It's almost like a waste of annual leave.

Anyway, back on topic, I always try to earn at least £30k over 40 weeks. 50% of every gig fee gets put to one side for tax and national insurance, then I've got the other 50% to go straight into a worthy charity, like the Benny Smyth Beer & Pizza Fund. Aiming for this target of 40 weeks also accounts for the slow periods (I practically rule out every January, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    My day job is as a Benefits Assessor so I deal with Housing Benefit claims 5 days a week. There is help for people who's income is low. However, if you say you are working 30+ hours a week, but your income doesn't reflect that, your claim may be looked in to further. This is a little loophole which, according to a news report I read last week, is soon to be closed. Self employed people who are claiming Housing Benefit but their income is less than the National Minimum Wage may be told to claim JobSeeker's Allowance and look for another job. It makes sense, really. When they upped the hours for Working Tax Credit from 16 to 24 a few years ago, we had people telling HMRC they were suddenly working the 24 hours but for the same money, HMRC just accepted that and paid them the Tax Credits. It was clear from the info that Housing Benefits received that they weren't working any extra at all but there was nothing we could do about it. HMRC don't listen to us! But it looks like this practise is going to be clamped down on. It will hit those who are genuinely struggling to make the income with self-employment but it but also claim down on those who don't do any work but declare they are self employed and live of New Enterprise Allowance, Tax Credits and then have their rent and Council Tax paid for them.

Yeah I have seen they shall be implementing it through the new universal credits. Though you shall have a year to get your business making a profit- plus Its not really the housing benefits office to tell folk to go on JSA. Its legit though to say your doing over 30 hrs even if your not always DJing for that amount of time. I gotta a hell of alot of advise when I first started and one piece that sticks in my head was that as self employed your pretty much always working, even if you are just thinking about work.

Some very interesting points, thank you all very much so far.
    With regards to my marketing, I'd say that over 80% of my work comes in from word of mouth referrals.
    I have a tidy website, I think so anyway ;-)
    I paid for the Google Adwords (pay per click) at the tail end of last year and I did quite well from that.
    It has currently expired and I am thinking of starting it up again..
    I've done a small number of wedding fayres but I didn't get the results that I was hoping for from these.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by RikkiDee View Post
    Hi Gavin,

I have been part time since 2001.
    I did 101 evening gigs last year, mostly weddings.
    Some friendly advice from an old head. I would not post how many gigs you did last year as you never know who is reading.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    Some friendly advice from an old head. I would not post how many gigs you did last year as you never know who is reading.
    Can you expand on that please?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    I hope that’s not in reference to declaring earnings etc.

If it is I think you’ve drawn more attention to yourself.....