Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Having never been to a meeting, my question is, what reason is there for me to attend? What are the benefits to me in attending?

I fear it would just be "networking" and chatting to other DJs, with no real benefit to me.

If I can learn something, then it would be tempting.
    I can't speak for other areas, but the I have learnt a huge amount at the meetings, from various sources.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

I would also echo others comments about having bumped into some of the biggest I have ever met at other networking events. However, this doesn't put me off them, as it's useful to know which of the local bods to avoid when it comes to passing on work

Julian
    Valuable knowledge.

I have to declare here and now, that I'm not a NADJ member, for reasons we won't delve deeply into. Like many others though, I attend a lot of the meetings, which are about an hours drive away from me. The meetings are well attended, but membership of the organisation is low. What would happen if we were only allowed to attend five times without joining? I don't know. Would the membership figures rocket? Would attendance plummet? Such a move could easily either be its salvation, or final nail in the coffin round here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    As regards the meetings, my guesstimate would be that 60-90% of DJs are part time or hold another job (either full or part time) and the meetings I have seen are at least an hours drive away. The thought of getting in from your daytime job, eating changing travelling attend the meeting then the reverse is not very attractive.
    I often forget that. That is the problem with lots of people especially with families.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I can't speak for other areas, but the I have learnt a huge amount at the meetings, from various sources.

Valuable knowledge.

I have to declare here and now, that I'm not a NADJ member, for reasons we won't delve deeply into. Like many others though, I attend a lot of the meetings, which are about an hours drive away from me. The meetings are well attended, but membership of the organisation is low. What would happen if we were only allowed to attend five times without joining? I don't know. Would the membership figures rocket? Would attendance plummet? Such a move could easily either be its salvation, or final nail in the coffin round here.
    I am a NADJ member but felt the meetings were getting to be more about gear than learning anything new. I have a lot of respect for Simon, but he is in it to make money.
    Maybe a bymonthly NADJ meeting would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I often forget that. That is the problem with lots of people especially with families.
    I work full time and the meetings are a good 90 minutes away, I understand they can't be on a Fri or Sat night but what about a Sunday afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    I am a NADJ member but felt the meetings were getting to be more about gear than learning anything new. I have a lot of respect for Simon, but he is in it to make money.

I work full time and the meetings are a good 90 minutes away, I understand they can't be on a Fri or Sat night but what about a Sunday afternoon?
    I personally would not be able to attend lots of sunday afternoons as I am usually working in the evening or have an all day.
    I tend to not even have client meetings on days that i have gigs. Maybe it just me?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Simon's a dealer, that's what he does. The learning part is down to NADJ, and nobody's prepared to put in the hours/hard work organising guest speakers and educational items. We'll see how the numbers stack up next Wednesday, when the evening is under Simon's banner, and not NADJ.

Same problems as above.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default NADJ Yorkshire

Well despite this thread and one on another forum plus a little on the FB page, no one from the NADJ has been in touch
    I know Simon has booked the hall for tomorrow any way but it seems the NADJ has just given up.

I use to go to local ones to me but sadly it was being run by a certain MD so wasn't the best impression being made.

It is a great chance for everyone to get something out of the meetings. Back then it was touching base with some of the local big players and getting gigs from them and now if I was to go it would be scouting for potential DJs to use for my own events.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I still think a lot of the problem is that no-one networks or learns face to face now. People think that logging onto facebook and commenting every now and then brings the same results.

I attended a wedding network meeting last night which covers the whole of the North East. 36 people turned up which the organisers thought was a good turnout compared to other events. However if you think of the 100's of wedding suppliers out there in the area, 36 is poor. Not as bad as the one which was held by the same group in a venue local to me. I was working that night and not one single person turned up. Bear in mind this is an event for all wedding suppliers not just DJs

Stands to reason it will be difficult to get groups of DJs together.

Be in interesting to see how many turn up to the NADJ AGM. I have been to the last couple and last year in London I thought the turnout was disappointing considering how many members there are, PLUS it was open to non members.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I still think a lot of the problem is that no-one networks or learns face to face now. People think that logging onto facebook and commenting every now and then brings the same results.

I attended a wedding network meeting last night which covers the whole of the North East. 36 people turned up which the organisers thought was a good turnout compared to other events. However if you think of the 100's of wedding suppliers out there in the area, 36 is poor. Not as bad as the one which was held by the same group in a venue local to me. I was working that night and not one single person turned up. Bear in mind this is an event for all wedding suppliers not just DJs

Stands to reason it will be difficult to get groups of DJs together.

Be in interesting to see how many turn up to the NADJ AGM. I have been to the last couple and last year in London I thought the turnout was disappointing considering how many members there are, PLUS it was open to non members.
    I actually run a wedding suppliers networking group here and the numbers were great for the first 2/3 years but now it's dropped off loads. I think the major thing is once you've been you know who you like/dislike and just maintain that working relationship away from group meetings. We have 500 members on our records and struggle to get more than 20+ to meetings which take place out of season and 4-5 times a year.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk