Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Speaker Help Needed - Alto TS115A vs W Audio DSR15A vs Proel V15A

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I should have known my post would open a can of worms for myself!
    Situation normal.

Both the Yamahas and the LD cabs look great but both cost significantly more than the Proels which were the highest cost option of the three I put forward... and then there is the significant cost of covers on top of that which would take both options to almost double the cost of the W Audio DSR15As.
    I made it 12% Change to the 12" LD GT, and we're around £570. I often use just my two twelves. Ity's nice to have a sub with them, but not mandatory.

I must admit I wasn't overly blown away by the FBT speakers at the Liversedge meet either.
    We'll cross them off the list then.

Are any of the three originally mentioned worth considering? I can get 12" versions of any of them but the cost would only be about £20 per pair less and then presumably I would be in immediate need of a sub to go with them which would be another £250ish minimum on top.
    £100 with the LD, but who's counting? Immediate, no. Need, yes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I appreciate the advice Sapphire Disco.

I'm really torn because I know that generally speaking I always look to go down the quality route and don't like to buy anything which I know is inferior. I also know that I can easily talk myself into spending more than I can afford.

I hadn't considered that I would feel the need to quickly upgrade the speakers I have mentioned, but I have no experience of any of them and I am happy to take that on board if it is the concensus (and it sounds as though it is). The Proel speakers in particular got a glowing report in the Pro Mobile review. http://www.slideshare.net/RadikalTR/...obile-magazine

Ok.... so is there a general agreement that the Yamaha DBR12 would represent a solid way forward (if I can find the extra money) and that these are considerably better than the Proel V15A?

nothing like a retailer having a vat free day to prompt a quick possibly regrettable purchase.

how can you discount the speakers you already have if you have never used them in a gig situation? other than an odd derogatory comment probably from people that haven't used them either in a gig scenario but have heard from others that they are no good.Until you use them you couldn't possibly make that call.

the advise given thus far seems fair enough given your original post,and some good advise to boot too.However everybody's interpretation of a good sound is very different and a lot of the time it's horses for courses.

if money is tight i think i would be looking for a second hand sub to help what you have got along to cover the immediate gigs and see how you go,giving you time to fully audition the cabs on your wish list and make an informed decision based on fact.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I would get these if you buy any of the others you will end up upgrading in a year or two if you get the Yamahas you could add a sub or two for much bigger gigs.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...A-Speaker/1387
    Having read the OP again, it is still clear to me that cost may be a huge factor in this decision!

Oh, there it is! I was right!

I should have known my post would open a can of worms for myself!

Both the Yamahas and the LD cabs look great but both cost significantly more than the Proels which were the highest cost option of the three I put forward... and then there is the significant cost of covers on top of that which would take both options to almost double the cost of the W Audio DSR15As. I must admit I wasn't overly blown away by the FBT speakers at the Liversedge meet either.

The question is where should I draw the line? If I say for instance that I am tempted by the DBR12s there will probably be a post from someone suggesting if I am paying that much I may as well push the boat out a bit more and go for the DXR12s instead! I've got my first gig lined up for a week on Friday so I need to get something suitable sorted by say next Tuesday at the latest and my overdraft has already taken a real battering!

Are any of the three originally mentioned worth considering? I can get 12" versions of any of them but the cost would only be about £20 per pair less and then presumably I would be in immediate need of a sub to go with them which would be another £250ish minimum on top.
    I accept that people try and give their best opinion on things but, sometimes, the budget is the most restrictive part of the buying process. A couple of hundred pounds on top of a budget is sometimes just not possible to have. I think we can forget that money isn't always in abundance and going over budget is just not an option.

I've never used either the Altos or the W-Audios but, from what I've read on here and elsewhere, both speakers have their likers and their dislikers. Sometimes it's a just a case of "gear-snobbery" but sometimes people have genuine issues and audio is a very personal preference. My recommendation would be to have a listen to both and then see which you prefer. That's the best advice I can give.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Ok.... so is there a general agreement that the Yamaha DBR12 would represent a solid way forward (if I can find the extra money) and that these are considerably better than the Proel V15A?
    I have no experience of the Proel but I'm sure the Yamahas will sound as good if not better with a 12" box, the bonus is smaller , lighter, look nicer, more powerful and you can add a sub or two which no doubt you will in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    nothing like a retailer having a vat free day to prompt a quick possibly regrettable purchase.

how can you discount the speakers you already have if you have never used them in a gig situation? other than an odd derogatory comment probably from people that haven't used them either in a gig scenario but have heard from others that they are no good.Until you use them you couldn't possibly make that call.
    The speakers I've got are a pair of Mackie Thump TH15s. They are in 'as new' condition but there seems to be a unanimous opinion that Thumps aren't all that great sounding or reliable. I'm told that there are issues where they cut out if driven too hard which on my first gig is something I'd prefer not to experience.

I think I was hoping that someone might say something like 'that's a good price for the Altos or the W Audios which are broadly comparable but the Proels are a much nicer speaker and would be worth paying that bit extra for' to rubber stamp that I was making a reasonable decision.

I was probably pushing the boat out a bit at £600 but if there is a compelling argument to spend a little bit more for a much better Yamaha or LD speaker I would be daft not to listen.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'm told that there are issues where they cut out if driven too hard which on my first gig is something I'd prefer not to experience.
    There is a hard and fast remedy for that.

I was not aware you had speakers already. With that in mind, treat the kit you have with the respect it deserves, earn some money and then upgrade when you have more funds. Don't buy for the sake of it. That's a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    treat the kit you have with the respect it deserves
    How much respect do the Mackie Thumps deserve? I've listened to them and they sound 'ok' but according to several people who are more knowledgeable in this area than me and various online reviews that they are generally pretty crap.

My only concern is that I've got imminent gigs that have been dropped on me and I don't really want to be worrying that my speakers are not up to the job on top of everything else that I need to think about.

If the Thumps are fit for purpose I could wait until I sell some surplus gear that I've got before I buy anything. It was really the VAT-free day that was pushing me into making a quick decision, but if we take it that the Altos and W Audio speakers aren't worth going for then I've got at least an extra few days before I need to think about doing anything.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

How much respect do the Mackie Thumps deserve? I've listened to them and they sound 'ok' but according to several people who are more knowledgeable in this area than me and various online reviews that they are generally pretty crap.

My only concern is that I've got imminent gigs that have been dropped on me and I don't really want to be worrying that my speakers are not up to the job on top of everything else that I need to think about.

If the Thumps are fit for purpose I could wait until I sell some surplus gear that I've got before I buy anything. It was really the VAT-free day that was pushing me into making a quick decision, but if we take it that the Altos and W Audio speakers aren't worth going for then I've got at least an extra few days before I need to think about doing anything.
    What I meant was if you treat your kit well, it will look after you. Don't push them so hard to the point that they'll cut out - that will go for any speaker. You say they sound OK - was that your opinion before you heard everyone else's opinions, or were you happier?

Straight up, today is the wrong day to be buying kit. You're clearly unsure of what you want and your money may get wasted. Take your time, give the speakers you have a chance and review later.
    Last edited by Benny Smyth; 18-03-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: I spell like a spanner.

First of all, there will always be 'more knowledgeable' people who'll trash something for reasons they can't adequately explain. Yes, there are reports of Mackie Thumps being dead easy to blow up, but we never know all the facts no matter how 'honest' anybody claims they are ("No, I never redlined em all night, guv, HONEST"). It'd be easy to fall into the trap of having too high an expectation of how they'd perform for sure.. crank them as loud as their older brother the SRM450 V1/V2 and er.. they may not last the same distance.

I've heard some very cheap speakers sound very acceptable & loud in my time, so not all cheap speakers are crap. Don't write them off yet.

And remember: any posh fancy expensive PA can sound rubbish with the wrong person at the other end of its line input cable