Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Speaker Help Needed - Alto TS115A vs W Audio DSR15A vs Proel V15A

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    You say they sound OK - was that your opinion before you heard everyone else's opinions, or were you happier?
    They sound 'ok' as in not terrible but not overly impressive either. Having said that, the only comparison I've got is with the Yamaha DXR15As and Peavy Hisys H12 which both sounded really good (but then for the money they cost you would expect them to sound good). I heard the bad reviews of the Thumps before I bought them (as strange as that sounds). I picked them up as part of a bundle with some lights and other gear that I wanted and always thought that I'd sell them on and put the money towards something better.

I started off with a set of Ekho RS12a's which I bough off the amazon reviews. Most people on here wouldn't spit on them and they did me for a year for £220 a pair. I blew them and re-coned them for less than £50 with qtx drivers. They had a hard life in my hands and learned me a good deal about looking after your audio equipment. I've not had a single complaint about the sound quality or level, they have a solid bass feel and fill a normal sized social club.

They allowed me to fulfil my diary and save for a better pair. When used with my subs I felt they were more than adequate. I still use them for kids parties where my 15's would be overkill and agadoo sounds fine.

Then you have my mate Chris who has ran bands for years went out and spent 4 grand before his first gig on some JBL VRX system. Sounds great but its gonna take him a good years takings to pay them off and he wants to upgrade his lights.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

This place is seriously bad for my bank balance! The Yamaha DBR12s are in the post and should be with me early next week. On a more positive note I have managed to sell the Mackie Thumps already so my finances aren't quite as bad as they were this morning.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did some research in to all the speakers that you put forward but ultimately the 7 year warranty swayed me in the direction of the Yamahas. It also helped that I managed to pick them up at a really good price that wasn't much more than I was planning to spend on the Proels.

Just need a few more bits and pieces now and I should soon be ready to go.

I too will probably be purchasing a pair of these in the coming weeks. Ive been interested in the views between 12s adn 15s as I was going to get 15s.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    I too will probably be purchasing a pair of these in the coming weeks. Ive been interested in the views between 12s adn 15s as I was going to get 15s.
    I had a pair of Wharfedale Titan 15a a few years ago, which I used without subs. They served me well for 3 years then one developed an intermitant fault. I received a few compliments on the sound and was generally happy.

Then upgraded RCF 12" and the difference was amazing.

The 15" had a warm sound but a "whole" in the mids as the large speaker struggled to cover the upper mids before the compression driver kicked in. The 12" have a much flatter frequency responce which leads to a more detailed quality sound.

Thats my experience.

I've been going round in circles trying to decide whether to go down the route of buying 15" speakers or getting 12" speakers and a sub. In the end I went with the advice of Peter (Excalibur) who says that 12"s with a sub is the better option. Having said that, I've watched a few videos and read various online reviews and it sounds as though the DBR12s could be enough on their own without a sub for most small gigs. I'll probably end up getting a 15" sub to go with them though at some point down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    . In the end I went with the advice of Peter (Excalibur) who says that 12"s with a sub is the better option. Having said that, I've watched a few videos and read various online reviews and it sounds as though the DBR12s could be enough on their own without a sub for most small gigs. I'll probably end up getting a 15" sub to go with them though at some point down the line.
    I'll have to pop along at some point and see how the Yamahas stack up. Whatever brand of 12" cab you'd got, it's amazing how many gigs they're capable of doing on their own. The sub just adds clarity, and lets the tops breathe a little bit easier. Until you've done a few gigs, you won't know how urgent your need is, but I'd be surprised if you felt you must have one immediately. Hope you're happy with them.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

so on an active setup from a mixing desk how would you run a mono single subwoofer?

I normally just run them stereo as a pair from the crossover in the speaker
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'll have to pop along at some point and see how the Yamahas stack up.
    I could do with tapping your brains some more on how best to set my rigs up etc so if you fancy doing a head-to-head sound test I could bring them over sometime soon to see how they compare with your LDs and I can see how they sound in conjunction with your Alto sub. Alternatively, I've got access to a decent sized conference room if you prefer to come over this way. Anyway, I'll be at Liversedge on Wednesday so, assuming you're going, we can discuss it then. It's looking like I might have a fair few things for the 'bring and buy' table!

ATDF - I'm very new to all this so I'm not sure about how you could pair up a passive mono sub with some active cabs. I would have thought you might need an amplifier for the sub but I'm sure there are people on here who might be able to give you an idea of how best to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    so on an active setup from a mixing desk how would you run a mono single subwoofer?

I normally just run them stereo as a pair from the crossover in the speaker
    One active sub with two channels will run two active or passive tops no problem. Two channels into the sub, and each filtered line output to the active cabs, or power amp. Not all ( usually cheap ) active subs have two channels. If they're only single channel, you'll ideally need two. The two channel subs can still be run one each side, no problem.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk