Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A request web app?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Sending text messages from a server would be messy.
    Not really, it's as simple as sending an email. I do it for ecommerce clients to get copies of orders via SMS, using http://www.clickatell.com/.

If I were you, I'd use Bootstrap for the front-end (and also maybe the back-end). Nice and simple
    Last edited by Marc J; 23-03-2015 at 03:08 PM.

I think sending SMS messages out might kind of defeat the object of having a web app.

A good idea to use bootstrap though... An easy way to make any site 'responsive'. And just one more thing to learn! Heh

A good idea to use bootstrap though... An easy way to make any site 'responsive'. And just one more thing to learn! Heh
    It's really very easy, but I'd be happy to give the front-end an overhaul using bootstrap for you if you wanted a colaborator...

Right then. A bit of code fettling has changed the flood detection to make the system generate a 'unique' number per client when they log in to use as an identifier. It won't be infallible but it's near enough for the application.

Tonight I plan to start work on a settings page so all the configuration is stored in the database rather than a config file. After that, a multi user scheme will come along.

I'm considering options to make this available to others & basically they boil down to:

1. Host it for people, make it customisable & charge a small subscription. The downside with this would be the support & admin burden.

2. Sell it as a package like a zip file & expect competent people to add it to their own site. The downside here is that people can just give copies of the code away to others. There are ways to try to prevent it, but I have little experience in doing that.

3. Release it as open source software that anybody can use for free & can contribute to.

Right now I'm leaning towards the latter. It started out as a bit of fun hacking.. I have a conscience & user support can frankly be a nightmare no amount of money can compensate for. My last job taught me that!

User support can frankly be a nightmare no amount of money can compensate for. My last job taught me that!

Many years ago I released a 100% self service website system to a specific industry and the admin and support side completely overwhelmed me. It should have been a 100% self service CMS, but I continuously had customers emailing me asking me to change text and add or remove photos - I ended up offering two packages, site alone and site & support with the second priced considerably higher. People finally got the hint that they either had to click a few buttons, or pay me to click the buttons, but setting out the two packages up front allowed me to tell people to pay up for support or go away

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I'm considering options to make this available to others & basically they boil down to:

1. Host it for people, make it customisable & charge a small subscription. The downside with this would be the support & admin burden.

2. Sell it as a package like a zip file & expect competent people to add it to their own site. The downside here is that people can just give copies of the code away to others. There are ways to try to prevent it, but I have little experience in doing that.

3. Release it as open source software that anybody can use for free & can contribute to.
    I like option 3

I'll gladly contribute anything I can, time permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I like option 3

Yeah going the open source way will be for the best I reckon. I've already got one part time job, no wait make that TWO... and another would just be silly.

I'll keep chugging away getting this into a releasable state & start a project on github :-)

Right now I'm leaning towards the latter. It started out as a bit of fun hacking.. I have a conscience & user support can frankly be a nightmare no amount of money can compensate for. My last job taught me that!
    Probably the most noble route if your doing it as a fun project. People warm to this and often pay
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

... I'd be happy to give the front-end an overhaul using bootstrap for you if you wanted a colaborator...
    I'm not sure these hints are being taken!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'm not sure these hints are being taken!
    Ah but they are & they're appreciated! I just want to get the code into a state where I'd be comfortable with somebody else seeing it. Maybe I should've waited before shouting about it from the roof tops..

Either way it won't be long before I'm ready to accept testers & code contributors