Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A request web app?

Just a progress update to say that there really hasn't been much progress made lately..

I've just been refactoring code to change the database method used & ran into some unexpected issues - which I managed to fix tonight so I can proceed with er.. whatever I planned to do before I got sidetracked.

While I was out on Saturday I thought of a great feature to have in the app but didn't make a note of it & now can't remember. But... When I make this multi user I've thought of another thing just now.

Settable in the preferences page, a 'your DJ is...' Section, maybe with a photo. I think it'd be nice to have so I'll add it :-)

Fyi the next feature, which could be finished tonight will be the ability to generate a QR code guests can use to log in without typing in the event key :-D
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 01-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.

I should have time to look at it soon, once you've got all the features you want in it I'll go in give it a makeover using bootstrap which should also make adding things much easier on the front-end...

One feature I think would be good would be the ability for the admin to manually block a user - someone who's not hitting the flood limiter but sending ridiculous requests or is being abusive, for example...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I should have time to look at it soon, once you've got all the features you want in it I'll go in give it a makeover using bootstrap which should also make adding things much easier on the front-end...

One feature I think would be good would be the ability for the admin to manually block a user - someone who's not hitting the flood limiter but sending ridiculous requests or is being abusive, for example...
    Ah now there's a thing I initially considered but dismissed. Consider it UN-dismissed! I dunno, me & my faith in human nature ;-)

I'll have to re-jig the cookie code but it should be possible, at least at a client level. If they switch to a different device or clear their cookies they'll just get in again.

Aha! Now that's reminded me of the other idea I had. Customisable text for the onscreen messages!

All this feature creep.. Is fun, no?

See also, ERROR: Your message to the DJ did not include the word 'please' :-D

Regarding blocking..

I'm thinking just a plain 'sorry, you cannot make any more requests at this time' kind of message.

Which brings another idea: a per user request limit. Configurable, of course

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Which brings another idea: a per user request limit. Configurable, of course
    I agree...the more configurable the better...

Update:

I just got banning working ( by hard setting it in the database for now). I figured it's a more urgent feature than multi-user right now.

I was originally only storing the 'unique' id generated at login in a session variable. This had a drawback that if the user logged out, the session was destroyed by the server -they could log straight in again & get a new 'unique' id. Not now. Now it stores a cookie & creates an entry in a new table (requestusers)... This is checked when a user submits a request & it decides whether to allow it or not based on the 'banned' column in the requestusers table

Next up, wiring that up in the admin page & add the ability to delete all requests by that user in one swipe.. and housekeeping functions to delete old entries in the requestusers table.

All changes to date have been pushed up to the github project at http://www.github.com/jhornsby/djrequestapp

Another update:

Now there's a max requests setting in the event keys table which means you can set a limit of the number of requests a user can make. I'll likely add another max setting to be able to set the total number of requests allowed per event

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  37.3 KB

Also, users can be banned & their requests deleted at the click of a mouse

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  11.8 KB

Oh yeah, and the users admin page (2nd screenshot) will likely be going away as it'd be more convenient to have the 'Ban' & 'delete all requests by this user' buttons in the main request list
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 04-04-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Another progress update:

I've not got much done this week, what with the 2 wedding discos & a trip away to deal with but tonight I got some more done towards making the app multi-user & have done some general tidying up & a couple of bug fixes.

The admin side of the app is going to need a separate menu file.. there are now a few pages & putting the links to all of them on every page is gonna get to be a pig eventually.

Progress update.. adding multi user stuff is coming along, but slowly. This is one of the problems when you have to change a database schema on the fly as you come up with new features