Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling points that aren't really selling points

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Selling points that aren't really selling points

I was asked to provide some feedback on someone's website today (nobody from this forum, and I won't be providing a link), and there were several examples where I thought to myself "Why would you mention that?" For example, the DJ in question had an 'About' page where he has (as a bullet point) "a keen interest in music." Well, surely that goes without saying? You'd be in the wrong job otherwise!

So what examples have you seen that made you think "Well, that's not a selling point, is it?" Maybe, if anyone here is guilty of such things, it may improve the copy of their website. And to ensure that this is not a thread that focuses on 'negativity', if you can, try and balance it out with an example of something you've seen that made you think "Actually, that's pretty cool." For example, on this particular website there is an awesome picture of the DJ getting a big hug from a bride whilst he high-fives someone who I assume to be the groom. I thought that it perfectly captured the joy of the moment and it was a great landing picture for the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I was asked to provide some feedback on someone's website today (nobody from this forum, and I won't be providing a link), and there were several examples where I thought to myself "Why would you mention that?" For example, the DJ in question had an 'About' page where he has (as a bullet point) "a keen interest in music." Well, surely that goes without saying? You'd be in the wrong job otherwise!

So what examples have you seen that made you think "Well, that's not a selling point, is it?" Maybe, if anyone here is guilty of such things, it may improve the copy of their website. And to ensure that this is not a thread that focuses on 'negativity', if you can, try and balance it out with an example of something you've seen that made you think "Actually, that's pretty cool." For example, on this particular website there is an awesome picture of the DJ getting a big hug from a bride whilst he high-fives someone who I assume to be the groom. I thought that it perfectly captured the joy of the moment and it was a great landing picture for the website.
    Sometimes it’s the cumulative effect, no one is going to think a DJ being a music fan is a major selling point, but they will read it and subconsciously it’ll add to their overall impression.

Saying that though ‘a keen interest in music’ is a bit drab, something like ‘a lifelong music enthusiast’ sounds a bit more exciting.

My pet hates are lists of equipment (unless it’s so high end they really are selling points) and out of focus, badly framed party photos, especially when the gallery seems to be all from the same kids party.

But then again what’s stating the obvious to us may be exactly what a potential customer wants to know - I sometimes get asked if I bring lighting (and on occasion if I have my own speakers), we can’t take our common knowledge as being common to our clients.

People buy people don't forget.
    Quite often if people 'gel' with you they will book regardless.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I sometimes get asked if I bring lighting
    Snap - I did a large facebook post on my new lights - a person messaged me saying they'd seen my page and wanted to book but did I have lights.

I personally love overuse of the term eclectic
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Something which I've seen a lot of businesses in general do which to me suggests a less professional approach is calling yourself "the best", "famous", "No.1" or listing yourself as "my area's premium service" or "the only service that does this not so special thing which somebody else probably does do but you just don't know about it".

There are of course exceptions: "Voted the best by a decent organisation" or if you do genuinely have something unique and you know nobody else has like perhaps a truss column with a mirror ball suspended inside it... although I've never said "The only DJ with a mirror ball inside a truss" because I simply don't know that to be true.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

you picking on me lol
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    you picking on me lol
    But now you mention it.....how would you justify it if a client asked?

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    you picking on me lol
    Haha... no I promise I am not. I know some very good DJs who say similar things, I've said some silly things on my website before also but I've gotten old and grumpy before my time I'm afraid and I do like to moan about small things.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Something which I've seen a lot of businesses in general do which to me suggests a less professional approach is calling yourself "the best", "famous", "No.1" or listing yourself as "my area's premium service" or "the only service that does this not so special thing which somebody else probably does do but you just don't know about it".

There are of course exceptions: "Voted the best by a decent organisation" or if you do genuinely have something unique and you know nobody else has like perhaps a truss column with a mirror ball suspended inside it... although I've never said "The only DJ with a mirror ball inside a truss" because I simply don't know that to be true.

I was the number 1 DJ in my house until I decided to have a DJ competition at my NYE party

I was the last one standing at 6 in the morning dropping sigur ros and enigma right enough

I find lists of gear to be daft because a. no one cares and b. it's usually a lot of stuff fit for the bin anyway.

I find "Bio's" to be quite ridiculous - you're not in 1 Direction, you don't need a bio and I really doubt anyone cares that your first foray into DJing came when Santa brought you a pretend record player when you were 4 and you've had the bug ever since

Just thought of something else that puts me off a website - out of date blogs, feedback and pictures. If they’re more than a few months old it gives me the impression that whatever service it is hasn’t worked since then. Blogs are boring anyway, even if they’re up to date, but they probably have some SEO value.