Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling points that aren't really selling points

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Not gonna lie, Andy - I'm laughing at your sig far more than I should be.
    I second that!
    Also I think blogs are good for seo and whilst maybe nobody will read them it shows that you are active and you make an effort. I post reviews snd comments from clients with dates which they are posted so clients can see I'm still active and that ive been active for a while.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    God if I played the songs I liked at a disco there would be a walk out.
    Well, last Saturday, I got to play mainly tracks I love, and this Saturday, I'll get to play only tracks that I love, so it does happen.

Mind you, the gigs are a 60th and then a 70th Birthday, so not the biggest shock in the world, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Go on, tell us a few...
    You Sir are a fine one to talk! When did you last play any current hits? ( And by " current ", I mean post 1980. )

For anyone who doessn't know, Martin has exploited a niche market playing mainly ( in my humble opinion, somewhat obscure ) songs from Yesteryear. I take my hat off to him.

Not gonna lie, Andy - I'm laughing at your sig far more than I should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I second that!
    Put me down for #3. Loving it.

Funnily enough, young Justin once got a gig where promising to turn up was a contributory factor to getting it!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Funnily enough, young Justin once got a gig where promising to turn up was a contributory factor to getting it!
    That there comment reminded me of this fine businessman -

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well, last Saturday, I got to play mainly tracks I love, and this Saturday, I'll get to play only tracks that I love, so it does happen.

Mind you, the gigs are a 60th and then a 70th Birthday, so not the biggest shock in the world, eh?

You Sir are a fine one to talk! When did you last play any current hits? ( And by " current ", I mean post 1980. )

For anyone who doessn't know, Martin has exploited a niche market playing mainly ( in my humble opinion, somewhat obscure ) songs from Yesteryear. I take my hat off to him.

Put me down for #3. Loving it.

There's promising you'll bend over backwards to be there or otherwise cover an event, then there's simply saying on your website 'we promise to show up'. There's a subtle difference.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Maybe they just do it for the money. So what? All I care about as a punter is whether they care about me as a customer or not. I can say I'm a music lover, but don't jump to the conclusion I listen to everything I play at discos when I'm at home

I doubt anyone does to be fair but it does make a difference if you know a lot about music and that comes from appreciating a wide range of it.

If you take a booking and someone asks that you play nothing but 80s indie bangers all night, if you know about that kind of music then you're good to go, if you don't pay much attention to different genres except for the ones you personally like then you're in a bit of a jam unless that genre happens to be indie bangers...

It's the one reason I listen to radio 1 and capital when I'm driving around - I prefer the stuff on Smooth, R2, XFM and even the local community station but being able to keep abreast of what is coming out just now comes in really handy because I'm of an age where the majority of wedding clients are and whilst I won't be running out to buy Beyonce or Jason Derulo's latest stuff, a lot of the folk on the dancefloor (who just happen to be potential clients to boot) will be.

oddly enough most of the djs I talk to aren't what I'd call "into music" thinking about it. I probably go to 3+ gigs a year and the occasional festival every couple of years, my girlfriend enjoys different music to me also which means I've seen a great variety of artists: Metallica, nicki Minaj, tom Jones, above and beyond, slayer, the killers, david geutta and every year without fail the wurzels! And this year the week before the wurzels I'm doing a young farmers rally... and if I know young farmers they love the wurzels just as much as I do haha.
    None of this is on my site though. .hmmm ,maybe I'm missing a trick.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

One that has been annoying me a lot recently:

"Get in touch to get your FREE quote!"

Thank God - almost everyone else tried charging me to tell me how much they're gonna charge me.

Thank God - almost everyone else tried charging me to tell me how much they're gonna charge me.
    I saw a good one yesterday on a DJ site.

FREE SETUP.

And 'now taking bookings for 2020'

What, because if I'd asked yesterday you'd have said you weren't taking bookings for 2020?

Yeah, I've never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    And 'now taking bookings for 2020'

What, because if I'd asked yesterday you'd have said you weren't taking bookings for 2020?
    Yep, silly people! haha

One that bugs me of recent "I'm fully booked" in December or whenever... No you're just lazy and only work Friday and Saturday nights for which all of them in December you are booked