Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling points that aren't really selling points

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I was the number 1 DJ in my house until I decided to have a DJ competition at my NYE party

I was the last one standing at 6 in the morning dropping sigur ros and enigma right enough

I find lists of gear to be daft because a. no one cares and b. it's usually a lot of stuff fit for the bin anyway.

I find "Bio's" to be quite ridiculous - you're not in 1 Direction, you don't need a bio and I really doubt anyone cares that your first foray into DJing came when Santa brought you a pretend record player when you were 4 and you've had the bug ever since

About 99% of punters won't know their Soundlab from their Pioneers - besides which, ANY gear can be prone to fail eventually no matter who made it. Photos showing the gear in action are pointless most of the time too.. even videos of good rigs can look like blazing cacophonies of light.

People say 'We promise to turn up'. Duh. I should blinking hope so. That'd be like a double glazing company saying "we promise your windows won't fall out the day after we fit them". Erm, most if not all customers kind of expect you to turn up as arranged without a darn good excuse. Say you're reliable? Yup. Maybe back it up somehow? Hmmm.

"Satisfaction guaranteed". So, what's this 'guarantee' backed up by? Being chased through the courts until the customer gains satisfaction? Bag that one with "We aim to please". Ah, I'm SO going to book them over the guys who say "We aim to annoy the hell out of you!"

See also, "all guests' requests will be played in a timely fashion"... What? Nah. I can't see that being as positive thing in ALL cases. The woman who asked for a whole Sam Smith album to be played the other week would've caused so much fun with that. Just say "we play requests" instead maybe? I need context for any requests I play - that doesn't make me a 'never plays any requests' arrogant so & so - because I most certainly ain't that.

As for customers asking for information already there on the page plain as day - I had my fill of that running one website. I'll be more likely to be able to tolerate it if it's going to make me money but still.. grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I was asked to provide some feedback on someone's website today (nobody from this forum, and I won't be providing a link), and there were several examples where I thought to myself "Why would you mention that?" For example, the DJ in question had an 'About' page where he has (as a bullet point) "a keen interest in music." Well, surely that goes without saying? You'd be in the wrong job otherwise!

So what examples have you seen that made you think "Well, that's not a selling point, is it?" Maybe, if anyone here is guilty of such things, it may improve the copy of their website. And to ensure that this is not a thread that focuses on 'negativity', if you can, try and balance it out with an example of something you've seen that made you think "Actually, that's pretty cool." For example, on this particular website there is an awesome picture of the DJ getting a big hug from a bride whilst he high-fives someone who I assume to be the groom. I thought that it perfectly captured the joy of the moment and it was a great landing picture for the website.
    But you're reading that all as a DJ yourself so joe public reading may read it and think "a DJ who loves their music". If it isn't there then would you maybe think "maybe they just do it for the money?". I don't think having it there is a negative thing?

I find the photos of DJs with couples 9 times out of 10 slightly awkward and almost "forced". If it's natural then it's pure gold.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    But now you mention it.....how would you justify it if a client asked?
    My wife said
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Just thought of something else that puts me off a website - out of date blogs, feedback and pictures. If they’re more than a few months old it gives me the impression that whatever service it is hasn’t worked since then. Blogs are boring anyway, even if they’re up to date, but they probably have some SEO value.
    The point of blogs is not to be boring however. They should be interesting topics and regularly updated - if there not they should be removed (until such a time that they are up to date)

I have one and update it purely for the SEO benefits but I do try to keep it readable.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Blogs are boring anyway, even if they’re up to date, but they probably have some SEO value.
    Depends on what the blog contains. If someone does a search term like 'Wedding DJ at [insert venue here]' and comes across that blog, it shows that the DJ has experience of working at that venue (which a lot of clients find reassuring). Throw in a few good pics of how their evening could look if they booked you, and a few words of something noteworthy and that blog can be a very good marketing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    But you're reading that all as a DJ yourself so joe public reading may read it and think "a DJ who loves their music". If it isn't there then would you maybe think "maybe they just do it for the money?". I don't think having it there is a negative thing?
    Maybe they just do it for the money. So what? All I care about as a punter is whether they care about me as a customer or not. I can say I'm a music lover, but don't jump to the conclusion I listen to everything I play at discos when I'm at home

God if I played the songs I liked at a disco there would be a walk out.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    God if I played the songs I liked at a disco there would be a walk out.
    Go on, tell us a few...

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Not gonna lie, Andy - I'm laughing at your sig far more than I should be.

I'm personally not a fan or Oasis and Paul Weller post style council, or Richard Ashcroft or any people with OTT attitude problems,

I love bassy tracks like forget me notts, goodnight tonight, and most disco stuff and 80's new romantic.

However I listen to all sorts, 80's cheese (but the uncommon ones like Nick Kaymen, Oran 'juice' Jones and other one hit wonders), europop like Falco, then the less popular stuff by queen, george michael, odyssey, rose royce etc.

It not horrific stuff just not really tuned for discos.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk