Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Sage or Quickbooks accounting software?

Default Sage or Quickbooks accounting software?

Hi all,

Currently I use Quickbooks essentials for my accounting software which I'm happy with but the promotional period has just ended and the cost has gone up to £19 pm + vat. Having a look around Sage One accounts Extra seems to do a similar thing and currently has a 40% off promotion.

Just wanted a "users view" of sage. Anyone use it and how do you find it?
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

I use Sage Line 50... Well, my accountant does... Seems to do the trick.

Been using it since the business started in 2008.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

The firm of chartered accountants I used to use for my accounting back in the days when I was a director of a Ltd Company used Sage which I believe was the industry standard at the time. As far as I am aware QuickBooks had only just come to market and appeared to be an easier to use, alternative to Sage, but lacking some of the bells and whistles. Things may have changed considerably since then. Have you checked with Sage if they do a free, time limited or restricted version, for potential customer evaluation? I would have thought it would be worth dropping them an email.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    The firm of chartered accountants I used to use for my accounting back in the days when I was a director of a Ltd Company used Sage which I believe was the industry standard at the time. As far as I am aware QuickBooks had only just come to market and appeared to be an easier to use, alternative to Sage, but lacking some of the bells and whistles. Things may have changed considerably since then. Have you checked with Sage if they do a free, time limited or restricted version, for potential customer evaluation? I would have thought it would be worth dropping them an email.
    Like many software publishers, Sage do offer a trial of (some of) their products:

https://shop.sage.co.uk/testdrive.aspx

I've used Sage products before and they can be quite daunting if you've no experience of business accounting at this level. The only reason I got in to Sage was that I had to write a piece of business software for my HNC in Computer Applications (not mobile apps - I'm talking over 20 years ago and mobile apps weren't even thought of then!). Being good with numbers, spreadsheets and databases, I chose to write an accounting package. The employment officer at my tech college showed it to a contact she had at Sage, based in Newcastle. I was offered an interview there but I had other plans so I didn't take up the offer (possibly another of my life's mistakes!).

Anyway, back on track. If you're prepared to put the time and effort in to learn Sage, it's a very capable and comprehensive package. And I believe the latest versions can be really flexible so you can set them up to do pretty much what you want them to do (in respect of business accountancy!). If you keep it up to date and log every single business financial transaction, it will prepare your annual accounts for you ready to be signed off by your accountant. This means your accountant has less to do and, therefore, his fee may be smaller. Sage can also give you detailed reports or a snapshot of your business's finances at any point in time.

I haven't used Quickbooks for years but I'd happily recommend Sage. It is the industry standard, after all!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Like many software publishers, Sage do offer a trial of (some of) their products:

https://shop.sage.co.uk/testdrive.aspx

I've used Sage products before and they can be quite daunting if you've no experience of business accounting at this level. The only reason I got in to Sage was that I had to write a piece of business software for my HNC in Computer Applications (not mobile apps - I'm talking over 20 years ago and mobile apps weren't even thought of then!). Being good with numbers, spreadsheets and databases, I chose to write an accounting package. The employment officer at my tech college showed it to a contact she had at Sage, based in Newcastle. I was offered an interview there but I had other plans so I didn't take up the offer (possibly another of my life's mistakes!).

Anyway, back on track. If you're prepared to put the time and effort in to learn Sage, it's a very capable and comprehensive package. And I believe the latest versions can be really flexible so you can set them up to do pretty much what you want them to do (in respect of business accountancy!). If you keep it up to date and log every single business financial transaction, it will prepare your annual accounts for you ready to be signed off by your accountant. This means your accountant has less to do and, therefore, his fee may be smaller. Sage can also give you detailed reports or a snapshot of your business's finances at any point in time.

I haven't used Quickbooks for years but I'd happily recommend Sage. It is the industry standard, after all!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!