Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Can you mix?"

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default "Can you mix?"

Over the last few weeks, I have had an increase (rather stark increase, in fact) of clients and potential clients asking me if I mix. I have a standard response of saying that yes I do mix a fair bit, however there are occasions where that is just no possible. Saying that, the selection of songs is far more important than how they are mixed together. I then talk about my club & bar experience to try and back up what I say.

Most seem to be happy with this response, however a lot of clients seem to still think that mixing is incredibly important.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced recently? Has it increased lately, or have I found a niche in the market where clients think that mixing is the be all and end all?

Get asked this maybe once or twice a year however it's a small percentage of clients really. Not noticed an increase here.

That said having seen your setup I'd expect that would attract folks who would want more a club/dance experienced DJ than most setups (mine included) on here.

Before anyone jumps on it I'm not saying clients book based on equipment, far from it.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Nope, I don't get it. Just a funny little quirk with your enquiries at the moment I reckon.

I occasionally get asked if a particular piece of playout kit will be suitable for 'mixing', after further questioning what they really want to do is be able to eliminate gaps between tunes, which of course virtually all pro kit will do. I think Joe publics definition of 'mixing' amounts to beat matching and cross fading at most, which we all know is only half the story. I think your (very nice) set up is going to attract more enquiries from clients wanting the 'dance club experience' than the average mobile DJ, as others have already pointed out.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default Important

I believe mixing in key and similar styles is more important than beat-matching... at least for weddings.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    I believe mixing in key and similar styles is more important than beat-matching... at least for weddings.
    I agree! Well it makes me happy to know, even if nobody else cares that the keys of both tracks match!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I have a few mashups online which people stumble across and a couple of time I've been asked "Can you mashups live at our event". I unfortunately have to ruin the magic of it by saying each mashup takes me 5-8 hours to make and I no longer do them anymore! I rarely get asked about mixing to be honest but then I get people say we heard your mixes online so I guess they realised I could!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Over the last few weeks, I have had an increase (rather stark increase, in fact) of clients and potential clients asking me if I mix. I have a standard response of saying that yes I do mix a fair bit, however there are occasions where that is just no possible. Saying that, the selection of songs is far more important than how they are mixed together. I then talk about my club & bar experience to try and back up what I say.

Most seem to be happy with this response, however a lot of clients seem to still think that mixing is incredibly important.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced recently? Has it increased lately, or have I found a niche in the market where clients think that mixing is the be all and end all?
    Define mixing.

I’ve been asked once to twice over the years and when questioned all they wanted to know was if there were gaps in-between the songs or not.

Nothing that's going to have me headline Creamfields but I can mix to a decent standard.

Did quite a bit of it tonight including a handful of ones that worked great that you wouldn't expect to go together and now I can't remember what they were

A couple of weeks ago I got really self indulgent at a wedding where they wanted quite a bit of house and dance music and I ended up mixing a Mylo tune into a Bob Marley tune and it worked brilliantly

I'll mix sometimes but not all the time.
    Sometimes something may come to me on the night and it may be something that I've never considered before but it works.
    I've don't remember being asked if I can mix but I've had a few people come over and comment on a good one. I tend to try and do mixes that are a bit different.
    I'm not great to be honest but I've never ever sat down and practised. A lot of people think that just because you use something like VDJ that it's easy and maybe it is but I have never really used it to it's potential so it's there as a back up for me. I do most of the mixing on the Denon.