Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Can you mix?"

Ohh this is a old thread eh?! 😃 I think its good you are wanting to beat match doing mobile discos and you may well find yourself with a specific clientele, which can make you stand out from others. However I have to say that most clients who book a function Disco aren't generally looking for Jeff mills or grand master flash 😉 your mic skills shall put you in better stead, than mixing agado into Elvis.

Also I would state that doing a 5 hour mobile disco to a mixed aged crowd is more challenging and takes a different type of skill than the 1 to 2 hour sets infront of people who are there for one style of music, ie house, techno etc. Different ball game! If I was yourself I would focus more on public speaking skills, using the mic with confidence and use your beat matching skills at the right times of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by scott23 View Post
    Ohh this is a old thread eh?!  I think its good you are wanting to beat match doing mobile discos and you may well find yourself with a specific clientele, which can make you stand out from others. However I have to say that most clients who book a function Disco aren't generally looking for Jeff mills or grand master flash  your mic skills shall put you in better stead, than mixing agado into Elvis.

Also I would state that doing a 5 hour mobile disco to a mixed aged crowd is more challenging and takes a different type of skill than the 1 to 2 hour sets infront of people who are there for one style of music, ie house, techno etc. Different ball game! If I was yourself I would focus more on public speaking skills, using the mic with confidence and use your beat matching skills at the right times of the night.
    That's exactly my plan mate.
    The mic is something I have not been to familiar with over the years so that's a major biggy for me, I'm sure with time like anything you get better at it?
    TBH, I just want to get out there now! I have 95% of my rig but still waiting for some other bits.
    Plus the huge mine field of of sourcing the the 1000's of tracks I'm gonna need to cater for all, and licencing (PLI and ProDub)

I'm itching to go! lol

Good luck pal. Its a big transition and shall take abit of getting used too. I read in here a while back that most club style DJs who transfer to mobile generally last about 6 months lol. For me I think if you can keep a crowd of edm fans bouncing one night, then a 80th birthday party with mainstream and classics the next, then that's the sign of a great DJ.
    Just your old mates from the scene might give you pelters, when they find out your doing a children's birthday or christening on Sunday morning 😉

Whatever you do! Don't future price a job, steer clear of charity's unless they are going to pay full wack and don't become a £100 quid sid just to get some gigs.

Take advise from the guys who have been replying to your other thread aswel, they know what they are talking about!

You definitely do get a feeling from the guests when you've done a good mix of two tracks they like though. It's like "ooooh where did that song come from" sorta feeling around the dance floor even if they don't say it

Trust me, you cannot mix all night with mobile stuff. You can try but then somebody says "what about this track which will go down great but doesn't mix well"...

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thanks guys, I take all the advice very seriously that you and others have said.

This forum already in just a few days has been a great place for info regarding the mobile DJ scene.

I am in it for the love of all music.

I like everything mostly and enjoy making people happy and giving them a good time.
    My ideas to some may feel foreign and unwanted but I am ultimately getting into this to give the customer what they want, not what I think is good.

I think I might of offended a few on my thread (if you have read it), I defo have not set out to do that.
    But there will always be someone new with new ideas and a fresh look on things. I'm that guy today and I wont be embarrassed if I fail, because at least I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELTHEVIBE View Post
    I am in it for the love of all music.
    Love it for the pay first, and the love of music second. Even music lovers need to turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELTHEVIBE View Post

I think I might of offended a few on my thread (if you have read it), I defo have not set out to do that.
    I don't see offended. You've got enthusiasm and a bright idea. Excellent. How bright that idea is remains to be seen. Good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Lol Shaun, the money will be awesome too haha

Thanks peter, I thought you may have been one of those that I may have.
    I am full of ideas at the moment, I have a goal and I'm all enthusiastic, maybe I'll witter away into nothing or maybe I wont.

Everyone thought steve jobs was crazy in the beginning PMSL

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    How bright that idea is remains to be seen. Good luck.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/