Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Thinking of getting new moving heads

Default Thinking of getting new moving heads

Hi All
    Thinking of getting a pair of chauvet intimidator spot 355z to put on truss plinths, the pros and cons please Thanks Steve

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I use four of the Intimidator 400s, and they have been fantastic for me. Had to send one back to Chauvet's UK base in Nottingham for a repair, but overall they are great.

As for the one's you're looking at, 90 watts of light means that they are bright and will not be lost in a big room. The full-colour LCD display is a god send, instead of trying to work out what feature you're adjusting.

Personally, I still don't understand why Chauvet DJ are linking their high-end moving heads with the IRC remote. Surely by the time you've spent this kind of money, you're DMX'ing?

Gobos are nice and easy to access (I think Chauvet do a 'wedding pack' of gobos. Don't know what that entails, but may prove to be interesting). Gobos in Chauvet moving heads are mostly crap, so be prepared to spend some more money at Rosco.

When I bought my heads, there was no flightcase available for them and there was no chance that I was going to put them in one of their padded bags. I had to get a flightcase custom made, so more cost added on. Cases may be available for the ones you want though.

The Vizi Sport from ADJ is available at a similar price and worth a look. I'm sure these Chauvet's are the replacements for the Intimidator 350, which are still available and I think should be seriously considered as they will be cheaper. The 350 has been favoured by a lot of DJ's for a while now and there is a reason for that - they're very good.

Thanks Benny
    Going to have a demo today