Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No hidden extras.

Default No hidden extras.

Just lately, a couple of NaD closures have listed " No hidden extras " as the reason for booking. What do you regard as a " hidden extra " ? Do these lines from my normal reply qualify as hidden extras?

I can also offer Karaoke with a small additional fee.
    Uplighting can now be offered at a very competitive price, if booked with a disco. At present I have eight light units, with plans to buy more shortly

Would anyone consider that offering prices with each of these options made them clearly visible? It's pretty much a non runner anyway, as the cost of these is diferent for virtually every function.

There are occasions when I give a full itemised breakdown of all costs, ie early setup, background music during wedding receptions, Karaoke, etc, but they're the exception to the rule.

Over to you, Lads and Lasses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Its certainly strange, unless people got quotes elsewhere and changed the goal posts later

I've had a lot of how much is a disco mate, I say X for 4hrs and they come back with ok book us in from 7 to 12 at which point I have to change the quote.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

It's the unknown.

If another has offered uplighting/karaoke within the price, then the booker may feel more confident that they know the price and will go for that.

What exactly is a "small additional fee"? And if there's that being offered, what else will be offered to me at a later stage (will you keep trying to upsell to me?)

So one package price offering what they want at one all inclusive price is less confusing.

Nothing stopping you up-selling once they've signed the contract though with an optional extras they may like?

I'd call a hidden extra something I'd envisaged was part of the quote which later turned out not to be.

"Oh, you want sound at this disco you booked guv? That'd be another undred squids".. etc

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

If another has offered uplighting/karaoke within the price, then the booker may feel more confident that they know the price and will go for that.
    Even if they haven't asked for Karaoke or uplighting? Aren't they then paying for something they didn't want or need?

What exactly is a "small additional fee"? And if there's that being offered, what else will be offered to me at a later stage (will you keep trying to upsell to me?)
    The small additional fee is a figure I can't specify until I know whether I can simply lash in a pocket sized mixer, or would need the full 18channel one, and all that entails. What else will be offered? I see your point.

So one package price offering what they want at one all inclusive price is less confusing.
    Indeed. But have they specified everything they want? Do they actually know what they want? How do I know what they want?

Nothing stopping you up-selling once they've signed the contract though with an optional extras they may like?
    I'd rather have it all agreed beforehand, but yes.

Compare with buying a new car. Does the salesman sit down and say " That will be £25,000, because I've included gold plated wheels, mohair interior, a jacuzzi and a 42" widescreen plasma TV " ? No. He tells you it can be yours for only £5,000. It can, but there are likely to be a lot of extras which could be expected as standard. When someone books a disco, is it reasonable to expect Karaoke to be included as standard?

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

However, if someone doesn't understand the process of booking a disco, our terminology of these extras may be confusing to the booker.

How many times has someone asked "do you also include the lights"!

So they may well be wondering that if these extras are available - will the lights and sound system be an extra too!

I know it sounds really stupid, but we have to sometimes assume that someone booking a disco knows nothing about a disco, so someone quoting one price saying "everything you'll need is £xxx" is going to be easier for them to understand (and in their eyes a "safer" booking) than someone giving a price and then offering extras, which they don't know if they need or not.

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

However, if someone doesn't understand the process of booking a disco, our terminology of these extras may be confusing to the booker.

So they may well be wondering that if these extras are available - will the lights and sound system be an extra too!

I know it sounds really stupid, but we have to sometimes assume that someone booking a disco knows nothing about a disco, so someone quoting one price saying "everything you'll need is £xxx" is going to be easier for them to understand (and in their eyes a "safer" booking) than someone giving a price and then offering extras, which they don't know if they need or not.
    Ahhhhh! Yeah I can dimly recall a few times when I took phone calls where potential customers asked if lights & PA were included. Never misunderestimatize the potential for a lack of knowledge on their part. When I was a club DJ though, I used to get people asking if I'd do their wedding/birthday/whatever, who I knocked back. When asked why, I told them because I didn't have my own PA or lighting - I mean why would I? OHHHHHHHHHHH, they'd say. Yeah.. you kind of need all that stuff, don't you?

On the other hand, are there any outfits who are going in after the original quote & upselling things that should by rights be included as standard? Are some customers daft enough to fall for that? I know I wouldn't, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    When someone books a disco, is it reasonable to expect Karaoke to be included as standard?
    I dunno, but if it is, I'm selling what little gear I currently have & going back into retirement!
    Last edited by Excalibur; 27-04-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Merged posts

I do a fair few all day wedding events for which I charge X. I make it very clear what that includes, and re the OP, my quote includes all music preparation and the playing of. I notice that some DJs charge additional for ceremony music even though they are already charging for a DJ service. To me that would be a hidden extra unless made explicitly clear during the negotiations.

I've not had the case yet where sourcing music for a ceremony is anything more than purchasing a few tracks at most (often one or none at all) and is something that I would not include outside an extension of my standard service; for which that additional time is charged and made clear. Playing music is what we do is it not?

And one other one, which I was left mouth aghast at. A well known London operator for which I was working wanted £150 (the client assures me) for a wireless mic. For me, that is all part of the mobile DJ service but of course for others it isn't and certainly for this client he had never thought it otherwise. It rankled because, the contract for supply from the operator demanded a wireless mic as standard from me - so he was making pots of money on each job, where mics were asked for. Good business for him but it doesn't leave a good taste and that was my last job for him.
    www.djjules.co.uk
    Covering Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex and Surrey

A NaD client showed me a quote a few years back - there was a charge for everything, including travel, setting-up, taking down and travel back again, then a long list of equipment with a price next to each item...

Very fair point, I hadn't considered it from that angle. Bad assumption on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Ahhhhh! Yeah I can dimly recall a few times when I took phone calls where potential customers asked if lights & PA were included.

On the other hand, are there any outfits who are going in after the original quote & upselling things that should by rights be included as standard? Are some customers daft enough to fall for that? I know I wouldn't, but...
    I've had the old " do you have lights "? And I hadn't considered your second point either. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not making things clear enough initially?
    Mind you, I always thought this:

The equipment used is always tailored to the venue, the audience, and the function. It may range from two small, discreet speakers and a couple of gentle lights, up to a very large speaker system, and an array of lights capable of effectively filling the largest of Halls or Marquees

made it clear I would be bringing PA and lights. Maybe a little rewording is in order? Thanks lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Jules View Post
    I do a fair few all day wedding events for which I charge X. I make it very clear what that includes, and re the OP, my quote includes all music preparation and the playing of.
    Pretty much my way of doing it. However, when you're simply turning up for a four hour party, is it necessary to break down the costs and services? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Jules View Post
    I notice that some DJs charge additional for ceremony music even though they are already charging for a DJ service. To me that would be a hidden extra unless made explicitly clear during the negotiations.
    To me, it would be imperative that it was made clear before. And charging for it isn't wrong, especially if you have to bring a separate PA and playout to another part of the venue, or even a different venue.
    If it's simply a question of using the evening PA, as it's all in the one room/marquee, then that's just charged as time on site.

And one other one, which I was left mouth aghast at. A well known London operator for which I was working wanted £150 (the client assures me) for a wireless mic. For me, that is all part of the mobile DJ service but of course for others it isn't and certainly for this client he had never thought it otherwise. [/QUOTE]

Well, a wireless mic isn't a default item in every DJs kit. Again, I have no issues with anyone charging extra to supply one, as long as it's made clear beforehand. Mind you, for £150 the customer could have bought one himself!!