Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on speaker sizes - is 10 inches big enough !

Default Opinions on speaker sizes - is 10 inches big enough !

The majority of work I'm doing is in smaller venues where its just not necessary to have a large system. I'm looking at getting a small/micro system set up which will be a lot easier to transport/set up etc and look at lot more appropriate for the venue.

I've got the larger side of things covered with a Dynacord system but I'd rather not lug the two 15 inch subs everywhere if I don't have to as you can imagine.

Without getting bogged down in brands I'd welcome any opinions anyone has on using 10 inch main speakers - I've always brought 12 inch mains in the past but things have moved on in recent years.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of 10 inch speakers which could be used with a sub under the console when required OR I could just get a pair of 12's which could be used on there own for small stuff and cater for most things. I know the 12's would be more versatile but I really like the idea of the smaller 10's if I can use those.

I guess my question is would anyone using 10 inch speakers in a small venue always use a sub or is it possible to use them on their own if the venue/guests suit.

Opinions welcome please !

I used to use a pair of RCF ART310a’s on top of my RCF 15” bins.

For small bookings with 30 - 40 guests, a small winebar or a house party for example, the 310’s were fine on their own.

Well I use dual 8" with horn + sub , and thats good enough for up to 100 people , I used to use a single 10" + horn, plenty loud enough , but to get a nice bass sound I would recommend a sub ( or two) TBH I use a crossover and a bi amp system , so I have no idea how low the 8`s go , at the moment I cross them at 125hz , a few of our esteemed members use the BOSE and equivalent systems that use many small speakers in a kind a array, and from personal experience , they do sound good.

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Before Toby gets his default recommendation in, it's actually bang on for what you asked for. Something like the LD Dave system is almost exactly what you asked for. Big drawback of such rigs is that all the amps are in the sub. However, a small, cheap normal amp would provide power to the tops to get you out of the mire. Worth a look.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have experimented with 10's, 12's, 15' and 18's.
    I preferred the sound of the Fane Sovereign 15-600LF as a sub.
    Plenty of low down bass.
    The 18 was good but heavy to cart around, the 15 was just right.

I've heard some Mackie SRM350s without subs quite recently, the 10" active speaker, and was suitably impressed with how low they could go on their own. For real bass you do need a sub or two, or more I think, but do you always need real bass? No. There are times when it's just not practical & sometimes even when it's not even wanted

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I have experimented with 10's, 12's, 15' and 18's.
    I preferred the sound of the Fane Sovereign 15-600LF as a sub.
    Plenty of low down bass.
    The 18 was good but heavy to cart around, the 15 was just right.
    As I've said ad nauseam before, with scant regard for Rule 23, " Ye cannae change the laws of Physics" !

If you mainly want to play modern bass heavy dance music, 18" subs are a must for the best results. For mobile work, they're unwieldy, so we often compromise by sacrificing performance and downsizing to 15" drivers to aid mobility. If you're not reliant on mic work, there's no need to go smaller than 12" tops, and 15" may well be better.

However, if you want to play a wide range of music, have more vocal clarity, and shaking the optics off the bar isn't your main priority, then you must head in the opposite direction. 15" or 12" subs, and 10" or even 8" tops will suffice. The Bose systems, Vertus, Maui et al take this even further, with great success.

There is no definitive right or wrong answer. What we have to do is to try to forecast what sort of music we're mainly going to play, and then buy a system which does this well, fits in our motor, and can be lifted easily. As I know that one size doesn't fit all, I would suggest that you then buy a backup system with different characteristics, so that you have choice.

Remember, your backup rig doesn't have to have identical performance, it needs to get you out of the crap, if necessary. Thus, if you have a six box concert rig as your weapon of choice, get a singing drainpipe or similar as backup. Yes, it will be undergunned for that concert with three hundred 18 year olds, but it will be perfect for the corporate presentation in that 5 star hotel. Extreme examples I know, but you get the drift.

May I just point out that the single rig which will cope with every single function we come across with perfect results does not, and probably never will exist.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Before Toby gets his default recommendation in, it's actually bang on for what you asked for. Something like the LD Dave system is almost exactly what you asked for. Big drawback of such rigs is that all the amps are in the sub. However, a small, cheap normal amp would provide power to the tops to get you out of the mire. Worth a look.

With the second part anyway.

My 310's are fine on their own, assuming you don't need lots of volume and especially bass.
    Always bring the 12 inch sub mind you as its also the amp for the tops.

Only do not use it when there is a limiter. Still sounds OK??

I reviewed the Peavy Hisys system for Promobile and was really impressed with their 10 inch actives.
    thinking of getting one for ceremonies.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...FSYIwwodZh8AOg
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

My default setup is 2x RCF310a and a small powered 15" qtx sub for smaller venues or the very popular rcf 15" sub for larger venues. My opinion is these both sound great and the small setup is very lightweight and easy to carry.

I also have a pair of Mackie srm450s which I use by themselves.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

In terms of compromising weight and performance, I continue to find the Mackies SRM 450's a good option, on their own, although for bigger functions 120 - 200 I add a 15" sub and have never had an issue with sound quality or performance.
    I too would like something lighter, but then there is the cost issue as well I guess ...........
    Http://www.heartandsouldisco.co.uk

Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco in Sussex and Surrey