Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brides 'Laptop' concerns.

Default Brides 'Laptop' concerns.

I had an email last week from a Bride...

I was also wondering how you did your music. at my sisters wedding the guy had a laptop and didn't really interact with anyone it made the atmosphere a bit low as no one really got up to dance. I was wondering if you did it the same with just a laptop

Looking forward to hearing from you so I can get an idea of how the night will go
    I just found it interesting that with so many variables that can have an impact on the success of the night and entertainment...her perception was DJ'ing 'with a laptop' was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I had an email last week from a Bride...
    ...her perception was DJ'ing 'with a laptop' was the issue.
    Marmite. Customers either seem delighted that you're using the most powerful possible tool for the job, and can offer a wide choice of music, or worried that you'll just set it on automix and wander off. Mine last night was delighted to see the laptop, was worried about too much interaction, and ju7st wanted

I was also wondering how you did your music. at my sisters wedding the guy had a laptop and didn't really interact with anyone it made the atmosphere a bit low as no one really got up to dance. I was wondering if you did it the same with just a laptop
    And there we have the crux of the matter. That's cause, not effect. The problem isn't with the laptop, it's with the driver. Doubtless, young Shaun will reassure the bride that she can have exactly the level of interaction she wants. Simple customer service.

I'm not going to get drawn into the chatty/silent debate, I'll merely point out that at times, you have to engage with your audience, not just press play.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Its just a case of making her realise that the lap top is a tool much like record decks and that the DJ's personality is not connected to the device
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Its just a case of making her realise that the lap top is a tool much like record decks and that The DJ's personality is not connected to the device
    er................

Name:  USB-finger.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.4 KB...

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Its just a case of making her realise that the lap top is a tool much like record decks and that the DJ's personality is not connected to the device
    I know DJs where the laptop undoubtedly has more personality.

Heh a very new slant on a very old problem. Hope you get a good booking out of this Shaun & show em we're not all lazy so & sos.

Seems she blames the laptop and not the dj for some reason. She must think if you are using a computer then it's the machine making the music choices, or perhaps that you can't use a mic if using a lappy? Good old Joe public never cease to surprise us!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I know DJs where the laptop undoubtedly has more personality.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 03-05-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Seems she blames the laptop and not the dj for some reason. She must think if you are using a computer then it's the machine making the music choices, or perhaps that you can't use a mic if using a lappy? Good old Joe public never cease to surprise us!

Now there I disagree. This is something which we've discussed many times before. It only takes one DJ with the laptop set on automix, paying little attention to the job in hand to justifiably sow the seeds of doubt in a customer's mind. I've seen such " DJs" at work.

I'd assume she means (and I could be wrong) that he spent most of the night with his head stuck in the laptop instead of interacting with the guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'd assume she means (and I could be wrong) that he spent most of the night with his head stuck in the laptop instead of interacting with the guests.
    But surely young man, he was " letting the music do the talking " ? Isn't that now the preferred method of working, as far as I understand?