Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about that bass.

Default All about that bass.

Preference....bass bins or not, for the majority of gigs?

I'm definitely in the camp of using bass bins every time (even with gigs of 40-50 people). I just prefer the fuller sound the subs add even at lower volumes. I recently had a situation where I found both my subs out of action for a few months, and even with a pair of 15" full range RCF's I found the sound seriously lacking. Probably more to do with my own perception than anything else.

So.... do you prefer to use subs at all times? Do you feel it's not always required?

Looking forward to reading the varied opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Preference....bass bins or not, for the majority of gigs?

I'm definitely in the camp of using bass bins every time (even with gigs of 40-50 people).
    If every gig meant I could park the van five yards from the door, and wheel the cabs in another five yards, yes I agree. Some gigs recently, two 12" cabs were as much as I was ever going to use.

Shaun, I don't disagree with you, your logic is correct, but:

The extra work involved, and the perceived gain is a non starter. The last two gigs, I've been complimented on only having the right amount of kit for the job. My subs sound fantastic, but they only go out for certain gigs. I like to use subs though, and because of that, I got a more portable active sub I could use with my tops. It travels to a lot of gigs, but doesn't get used much. Funnily enough, one of the places it does get used is simply because it's less of a trip hazard than a tripod.

So, preference, yes. Regular use, no.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

With my tops only being 2 X 8" + horn , using subs is a must for any gig

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

There was a time when more often than not I would go out using just the Mackies or JBL's on their own.
    I purchased the RCF 705 subs and used them probably twice in 18 months but now I take them out whenever I can. I agree with Shaun, I like a nice fuller sound.
    There is still plenty of volume if I use the Mackies on their own but it's not always about the volume is it.

I also agree with Peter and luckily for me I haven't encountered any dodgy access problems or bookings upstairs for a long time.

I like to use my tops with either one or two subs and agree with all the comments above.

When my tops were new, I noticed that that the bass was really good within 10m but dropped of at the back of the hall. So initially I used to use subs not for more bass but so the bass carried to the back of the venue.

Now the tops are 18 months old the bass seems to carry to the back of the venue so I am less concerned about using subs, obviously depending on venue, numbers, type of gig etc. Especially when the tops go down to 45hz on their own anyway.

I know with hifi speakers they take time to run in and sound their best. That seems to have been the case with my HD12as too.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Subs at every gig unless the room is either really small or an ache to access.

Ive got a single fbt vertus sub which is a twin 8" so easy to carry and site. Because of this I always use it. The tops are actually fine but I like a bit of extra kick.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Reading the replies, I'm going to be the odd one out and say no!
    I haven't used a sub for maybe over 2 years..
    Not because I do not prefer the sound quality but the extra time carrying, setting up and less room in the van doesn't make me any extra cash!

Am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by RikkiDee View Post

Am I doing it wrong?
    No. Next question please.

Your logic is sound. If your existing tops provide adequate volume, with an acceptable level of bass, then adding a sub is likely to be more for your benefit than the guests. The fine line is when the sound isn't acceptable for the function, and adding a sub or two improves it to the required level.

Fine line. Very fine line. So much depends on your tops, plastic twelves will usually lack bass compared to wooden fifteens. If your tops sound fine without subs, they are fine without subs, and yes adding a sub is unlikely to raise your fee.

If you're playing EDM to two hundred under 21s, then the aforesaid two plastic twelves ain't gonna hack it. Simples.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The tops I use are a few years old now. They are fifteen's.
    They are adequate for the majority of my work.
    These days I am trying to work smarter rather than working harder.
    I have been thinking of 'upgrading' to a pair of Vertus (or similar) but cannot justify the price tag just yet..