Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows V Mac as playout laptop

Default Windows V Mac as playout laptop

Hi All,

I Currently use a MacBook Air with external Hard Drive (Music Store) as my main playout laptop, this is linked into either a VMS 4.1 (USB using VMS Sound Card) or Behringer DJX750 (Via Numark DJ IO Sound Card).
    All My Music is stored on an external Drive (but backed up to a second drive I carry with me), I use my ipad (with the option to run it into either mixer or direct to the second input on 1 Active speaker should the mixer crash) as a backup device.
    The MacBook runs Virtual DJ 8 (Fully Licensed), I have to use a powered USB hub as the MacBook only have 2 usb ports (1 Hard Dirve, 2 VMS Mixer, 3 Mouse, 4 spare for clients usb sticks)

I am thinking about changing my playout laptop to a windows 7 laptop with onboard storage for music, this laptop has 3 USB ports so I dont need to worry about the hub (one less thing to go wrong), I would just need to unplug my external mouse if I client presents me with a memory stick with last minute music on.
    The other advantage of using a windows laptop is any faults (both hardware and software) can be easily fixed by myself (ICT Techie).

I have a spare windows laptop at home (more then meets the minimum spec for Virtual DJ) so there is no cost involved in changing, just a lot of faffing to move iTunes Librarys between OS and machine.

What do you guys use as a playout laptop, if you use a windows device has it ever caused you any issues?
    I am also concerned about my MacBook getting damaged by drunks as its my main computer and expensive to repair (not sure if my insurance covers spilt beer)

Any help of advice is much apreciated

Regards
    Rob

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Toshiba laptop running Windows 8. i5 processor, 8gig memory and 2tb hard drive. The only thing on that laptop is Traktor 2 and my music. I don't use it for anything else.

Asus laptop with Win8, VDJ7 with a Pioneer DDJ SX. Has only VDJ, Freestyler and Chrome on it and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I use Linux, running Mixxx as my DJ playout from an SSD. I've never had a jot of bother with it apart from once when my MC2000 controller crashed leaving me without music for about 10 seconds during a non-critical time. I fitted a ferrite to the USB cable (and spare USB cable) and it's not played up since.

Macbooks are, there's no denying - pretty. Pretty to look at and pretty expensive to buy, even refurbished 2nd hand ones. My next machine is going to be a Windows 8.1 jobby I think.

Just upgraded to I7 and 16 gig ram mac.

i think judging by the thousands of conversations on this macs are excellent value for money and very well made/stable OS.
    Having said that windows is also not bad these days too - get a decent machine of Mac value and you will be equally satisfied.

btw I got my I7 for £380 and ram for £90 so a great deal had there - they don't have to cost the earth.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

First of all, this is the very first time I've ever seen a Mac owner consider switching to a PC! Be careful, mind! It situations like this that may even change my long-held opinion of Mac owners!!!

Seriously, though. I run a Windows 7 HP laptop that cost £350 at the time. You can pick them up sub £300 now. The only issue I've ever had was when running VDJ to play music videos after midnight when it once started to stutter (the visuals I mean, the music played fine). I found out that this was due a scheduled task that had been automatically set up to run on a Sunday morning at 12.30am. I rescheduled this take to make it happen at 5am and I've had no problems since.

The only other problem I've ever had was when a power supply died on my about half an hour before a gig. I managed to get a replacement quickly so it didn't impact on my night. I now carry a spare power supply! As well as the spare laptop, just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Just upgraded to I7 and 16 gig ram mac.

i think judging by the thousands of conversations on this macs are excellent value for money and very well made/stable OS.
    Having said that windows is also not bad these days too - get a decent machine of Mac value and you will be equally satisfied.

btw I got my I7 for £380 and ram for £90 so a great deal had there - they don't have to cost the earth.
    I nearly choked on my biscuit when I read that first comment. Macs may be excellent value if you're a Russian billionaire!! But, to be fair, for under £500 you've got a bargain there (or you would have a bargain if you feel that Macs are justified at their full price ).
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Toshiba laptop, windows 8.1 , 1tb drive 4gig RAM , and ultramixer , nothing else, and works flawlessly

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I run a MacBook Pro (2014) with Serato DJ for a Pioneer DDJ-SX. I use the internal HDD for all the music, as well as running ADJ MyDMX2.0 at the same time for my lighting rig.
    The only time anything went wrong was when I first purchased the Mac.....screen graphics started juddering halfway through the first night, loading a track was taking 2 or 3 seconds instead of being instantaneous and I have to admit I was bricking it......but never at any point during the night did the program shut down or the music jump, stutter or stop. On returning it to the Apple Store the following Monday, I was informed, "It's amazing that you got anything from this laptop. The motherboard is completely fried."
    I can't help but think that a similar situation on a PC would've resulted in that lovely little centre-screen 'we have encountered a problem' box......followed by nothingness.

Each to their own, but since I replaced the original Mac, it hasn't skipped a heartbeat.
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

19" rackmounted i7 server.. windows 7.. 16gb ram with 128gb ssd and 1 tb western digital black "music" drive.
    using serato on it and its fine, copes very well with what we want, the back up is the dell i7 dmx laptop also running serato and external caddy for the 1tb

HI All

Many thanks for the updates, having read them all im going to give the windows laptop a try but will probably take my mac book as a main backup (aswell as my usual backup) for the first couple of gigs.

I just need to order some additional Ram and then transfer my iTunes library (i use this linked to VDJ) over to the laptops. I have wiped the laptop so it just contains windows, VDJ, iTunes.

I will let you know how I get on

Regards
    Rob