Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toastmasters?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I am fed up with toastmasters being rude to me when i mention that I run weddings.
    So from what I can gather from your posts you don’t run weddings and no toastmasters have actually been rude to you.

Drop the waffle!

‘Has anyone had any experience of the various toastmaster guilds, do they all offer the same training, are any more highly regarded in the industry than others?’

would have given you the answers you wanted without needlessly denigrating toastmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    So from what I can gather from your posts you don’t run weddings and no toastmasters have actually been rude to you.

Drop the waffle!

‘Has anyone had any experience of the various toastmaster guilds, do they all offer the same training, are any more highly regarded in the industry than others?’

would have given you the answers you wanted without needlessly denigrating toastmasters.
    And my reply directly after that says its very tongue and cheek, i just want anyones advice on any toastmaster guilds.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

And my reply directly after that says its very tongue and cheek, i just want anyones advice on any toastmaster guilds.
    There’s a massive difference between tongue in cheek and making stuff up - hopefully a good toastmasters course will teach you the difference because you really don’t want to make that mistake at a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    There’s a massive difference between tongue in cheek and making stuff up - hopefully a good toastmasters course will teach you the difference because you really don’t want to make that mistake at a wedding.
    With all due respect to you you don't know me or my business. I just worded the first post inappropriately, so apologies for that.

I have been 'managing/hosting/MCing' 20-30 weddings a year since 2010 and have attended at least 10 courses in that time as well as ongoing tutoring from my resident venue wedding manager, whom has been doing the job for 20 years. I initially organised the toastmaster training in 2010 and found it very limited and over formal, so moved on to toastmasters international, Marbecca and so on.

I am very good at my job, but there are always things to learn and would like to learn more about other formal functions that are not wedding related.

i am, not making anything up! 2 weeks ago I had a very disorganised caterer and if you were there s a guest you would have thought I was 'running' it as he made so many little mistakes throughout the whole day. This video was shot 3 years back and despite having a venue manager there the father of the bride actually says 'toby ran the wedding' at 45 seconds. That was actually quite an easy one too.

All the best - i will duck out of this thread unless anyone has any guild suggestions.
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-06-2015 at 01:34 PM.

With all due respect to you you don't know me or my business. I just worded the title inappropriately, so apologies for that.
    No you didn’t - the title was fine, this 'I am fed up with toastmasters being rude to me when i mention that I run weddings’ is where you messed your own thread up.

My advice is to drop the tongue in cheek stuff because it’s really not your forte, it always seems to be misconstrued and you just end up getting into arguments and end up back-pedelling. If you have a simple question then just ask it simply. (there you go, something that none of those courses have told you before - and I won’t even charge you).

I am too used to my Facebook group where everyone knows me.
    95% of my online posting is in there and the rest here.

I am too used to my Facebook group where everyone knows me.
    95% of my online posting is in there and the rest here.
    We know you well enough on here Toby and you don’t have to explain your business - we’ve seen the videos!

Just think about it for a second - who’s most likely to give you advice on toastmaster guilds? That’d be toastmasters!

Now read your first post again from their perspective - do you not think it’s more likely to get their backs up than elicit friendly advice?