Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Tidying cables/speeding setup up

Default Tidying cables/speeding setup up

Currently it's taking me quite a while to tidy up cables during setup, using tie straps to try and keep the DMX/IEC cables nice and tidy.

Also taking quite a while to wire everything up when using my overhead bar.

I'm considering building something custom to help reduce these times, and the messiness.

What I've though about constructing is a busbar type system, which contains IEC and DMX sockets positioned above each fixing point, utilizing black box section conduit of a suitable size.

Then all I would need to worry about is running a couple of short cables to each fixture from the busbar, and the main dmx/240v supply to the bar.

Thinking of producing two, which I can daisy chance together, and clip to my overhead bar when required.

Has anyone tried something like this before, or does something already exist so I don't have to make one.

TIA

My overhead bar is all pre-wired with IEC power and DMX. All I have to do is hang my lights and plug it in.

Where the uprights meet the over head bar, I have one of these each side: IEC 4-way Block

I'll try and sort out some pictures to give you an idea of what I have done.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

My IEC and DMX cables are all tied in place on the overhead bar. I just hang on the fixtures, in the same place each time, and push in the wires.

Then I have 1 x long IEC and DMX cable that I run from the left hand light down to the power and DMX controller.

Saves so much time - especially when setting up.

Pre-wiring at it’s simplest: Set up at home, tie the wiring in place (velcro strips, gaffa etc) and then remove the lights, you then have your wiring ready on your bar for the next time.

I have thought about pre-wiring, but currently depending on which lights I use, can depend on mount positions I use etc.

Also, currently I've a different DMX controller for different fixtures, i.e. AC3 + Obey 4 etc, which currently makes it difficult for a generic pre wire.

I'm looking at running using a DMX dongle in the future, so hoping DMX cabling will not be an issue in the future, and simply daisy chaining all fixtures together.

My Ultimax T-Bars are all pre-wired. I did it ages ago. They are all secured with black cable ties.
    I actually leave the lights on the bars too. I put some heavy duties brackets on the inside of the van (2 each side) when I got it and they fit the T-Bars perfectly with the uprights of the T-Bars standing on the boxed wheel arches. They don't move at all and also give me more floor space. When I get to the venues I have a routine (hence my 'routine' thread the other week). The first thing I will do is get the Ultimax base out of the van (which is always set up and in the van) and then get the T-Bars out.
    It's like a jigsaw and it all slots together. The DMX cables get connected, the middle section gets connected and then it's just a case of unravelling the IEC cables which are wrapped around the T-Bars during transit and connecting them to the lighting box - job done!

It's saved me loads of time. I know there may be a few out there that won't like the idea of the lights being on the bars all the time but honestly, they don't move in transit and when they are stored away they are covered with dust sheets in my lock up. They still look great, work great and I give them a quick clean after I've used them, especially is there has been smoke used too.

I made me this the other week

Name:  IMG_2660[1].jpg
Views: 111
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2653[1].jpg
Views: 104
Size:  56.2 KB

I can just hang it over and run to the power - got a rubber thing to go over it (upside down pic)

Name:  IMG_2661[1].jpg
Views: 106
Size:  42.2 KB

Saves me ages when setting up and even thinking of leaving the IEC cables in and just velcro tieing them

Next up is a one to keep my radio mic base on and to channel the XLR wires around the stand (for mic and mixer etc)
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture