Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody using HD2500 with USB3?

Default Anybody using HD2500 with USB3?

Any problems?

Does the Denon read the drive OK?

I've got a Seagate USB 3 drive & although the DDJMM software communicates with the drive, the Player doesn't want to know.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Can't comment on the Denon, but my Numark HDMIX doesn't seem to like USB3. I shuffled drives round so that it could have an USB 2 instead, but the biggest improvement came by taking my own advice.

POWER EVERYTHING.

Even though the drive works fine on laptops, hard drive controllers seem to struggle to give it sufficient power.

Since the Numark can accept decent sized hard drives, I was able to consign this rig to backup, simply by using the internal drive instead. I don't think this would work for the Denon though, unless it's had a severe firmware update.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I think that's probably the case with the Denon too Peter. One of my existing HDs is playing up, so tried wit one of the USB3 drives we have for the Cortex & it doesn't want to know. Cortex plays from it no problem.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I think that's probably the case with the Denon too Peter. Cortex plays from it no problem.
    A thought.
    In the good old days, when this forum was filled with questions about hard drives, hubs, brands to use and avoid, powered or unpowered, we also used to ask:

" What file system is it " ? I'm clutching at straws here, but I remember when Denons wouldn't read NTFS, but Cortex did. I also remember you finding a utility to convert large NTFS drives to Denon's beloved FAT32.

I don't suppose, by the faintest of remote chances, your Denon is on old software, and won't read NTFS?

Like I said, clutching at straws.

I'm not sure you're clutching at straws at all, Peter. That's a pretty good suggestion from where I'm standing!

Just last week in my computer magazine this topic came up. Apparently, Android devices can use external hard drives with a special adaptor cable but they too can only read FAT32-formatted drives but Windows premoninately formats in NTFS. So drive formatting format is still a current subject and could well be the case here, too!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    A thought.
    In the good old days, when this forum was filled with questions about hard drives, hubs, brands to use and avoid, powered or unpowered, we also used to ask:

" What file system is it " ? I'm clutching at straws here, but I remember when Denons wouldn't read NTFS, but Cortex did. I also remember you finding a utility to convert large NTFS drives to Denon's beloved FAT32.

I don't suppose, by the faintest of remote chances, your Denon is on old software, and won't read NTFS?

Like I said, clutching at straws.
    FAT32 drives, so that's not it.

Warning to anyone wanting to format NTFS to FAT32, don't use Seagate DiscWizard.

2 completely d drives that windows won't recognise later.....

I think that the issue may be that although USB3 is backward compatible with USB2 devices, nobody has told the HD2500s this.

I think that the issue may be that although USB3 is backward compatible with USB2 devices, nobody has told the HD2500s this.
    If the new HDD is 'proper' USB3, it might not like working on a USB2 port due to higher than USB2 power consumption. USB3 has extra pins for more power & more speed - the controller chip in the device & in the host [b]should[b] be able to negotiate a good working connection but won't if the device can't get enough juice.

And I say 'should' in the above paragraph because I've had to debug some nasty issues with USB, SATA, IDE things not talking to other things like they should (and it ultimately turning out that a data analyser showed somebody didn't read the spec yet it miraculously 'just works' with other kit).

Oh and for what it's worth most kinds of backward compatibility usually mean newer host (should) still work with older devices, not the other way round.

I don't think power is an issue. As per Peter's initial reply, everything is powered. Hubs, drives etc, nothing is USB powered.

I don't think power is an issue. As per Peter's initial reply, everything is powered. Hubs, drives etc, nothing is USB powered.
    Right, that's my last suggestion shot down.

Good to see you still following my three golden rules, though.

Actually, no it's not. New USB cable to the drive. Worth a go.