Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody using HD2500 with USB3?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Right, that's my last suggestion shot down.

Good to see you still following my three golden rules, though.

Actually, no it's not. New USB cable to the drive. Worth a go.
    I'm not sure if you're simply suggesting a replacement cable (like for like) as old cables can suffer wear and tear or if you're suggesting an upgrade to a USB3 cable. Unlike USB1.1 and USB2.0 cables, USB3 have a very different connector on the end so Steve's drive should have come with a new USB3 cable.

I didn't realise there was a difference until I went out to buy a backup cable for my new external drive, got it home and realised it didn't fit! Cue another trip back to the shop to swap it for the correct cable! My only concern is how I didn't spot this when I first set up the drive as it's pretty blatent!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

If it's not power & it's not the cable then it's a problem with the USB3 device not being able to negotiate USB2 with the HD2500 - either because of the controller in the peripheral or the HD2500 firmware.

An easy workaround would be to get hold of a USB2 disk enclosure & equip that with a hard disk - assuming the enclosure has enough welly to power the disk of course (it should do - disk power consumption has only ever really gone down over time). I say 'easy' - easy assuming you can still lay your hands on a USB2 disk enclosure these days.

EDIT: Yes, you can easily get hold of USB2 disk enclosures still. By never heard of brands but don't let that put you off. Do what I do - buy more than one at a time & you'll always have a spare In my experience it's more likely the enclosure (or rather a connector on it) that breaks first on portable HDDs.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 06-07-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Thumbs down

I have 2 car stereos that are media only players and both only play fat formatted sticks
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

The cortex wont play usb3 either.

but then again, as it wasnt out when the denon or cortex was released didnt expect it to

I know the cortex is no longer suported with firmwhere updates - is the denon ?
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    The cortex wont play usb3 either.

but then again, as it wasnt out when the denon or cortex was released didnt expect it to
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I think that's probably the case with the Denon too Peter. One of my existing HDs is playing up, so tried wit one of the USB3 drives we have for the Cortex & it doesn't want to know. Cortex plays from it no problem.
    I wonder if some will, and some won't? I have known that happen.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The chip inside the disk enclosure which converts USB to & from the actual disk itself is the issue. Some may work, some may not. There's generally not even a way to go by models of external drives because there's no way to know what's inside. Manufacturers change stuff inside quite often to save costs or solve supplier bottlenecks.

Maybe the best course of action is to stock up on unpopulated usb2 HDD enclosures and add your own drives. Not as elegant as buying a ready made one but putting these things together is very simple. Dismantle the empty disk enclosure, plug a disk into the board inside. Screw it down. Close the casing. Job done

The box I got for my SSD is totally screwless, as a lot of HDD enclosures are now which makes it even easier

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'm not sure if you're simply suggesting a replacement cable (like for like) as old cables can suffer wear and tear or if you're suggesting an upgrade to a USB3 cable. Unlike USB1.1 and USB2.0 cables, USB3 have a very different connector on the end so Steve's drive should have come with a new USB3 cable.
    It did
    Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    If it's not power & it's not the cable then it's a problem with the USB3 device not being able to negotiate USB2 with the HD2500 - either because of the controller in the peripheral or the HD2500 firmware.

An easy workaround would be to get hold of a USB2 disk enclosure & equip that with a hard disk - assuming the enclosure has enough welly to power the disk of course (it should do - disk power consumption has only ever really gone down over time). I say 'easy' - easy assuming you can still lay your hands on a USB2 disk enclosure these days.

EDIT: Yes, you can easily get hold of USB2 disk enclosures still. By never heard of brands but don't let that put you off. Do what I do - buy more than one at a time & you'll always have a spare In my experience it's more likely the enclosure (or rather a connector on it) that breaks first on portable HDDs.
    That had been considered as an option.

UPDATE: I tried it with a 32gb USB3 Flash drive & it worked fine. Seems the problem is with the drives as opposed to the USB version.

On the plus side the original USB2 drive seems to be behaving itself now.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post

UPDATE: I tried it with a 32gb USB3 Flash drive & it worked fine. Seems the problem is with the drives as opposed to the USB version.
    Power, power, power. I'm still sure that's the problem.
    Also, Creature said he'd failed with a Cortex/USB3 combination, whereas you had success. ( You have a 3000, he has a 1000, so don't know if that has a bearing ) so perhaps not al drives are equal?

OK Steve, apologies for trying to spend your hard earned, but what about a Solid State Drive? I'm guessing they need less power to drive them.

Hopefully, one of the Technocrats will give us a link to a portable USB3 SSD which fits the bill. Please? Do they exist, or are they only for replacing internal drives?

Also Steve, you can now get some exceedingly large flash drives, way bigger than 32Gb. .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Power, power, power. I'm still sure that's the problem.
    Also, Creature said he'd failed with a Cortex/USB3 combination, whereas you had success. ( You have a 3000, he has a 1000, so don't know if that has a bearing ) so perhaps not al drives are equal? . .
    I have 11 (all brought for backups as limited spares available) cortex 1000's 10 of them working, one using for spares - non of them reconise usb3.

never owned the 3000 series so dont know about them.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Ours are 3000s both read the USB3 drives that the HD2500 won't
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries