Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Dance Lighting?

I've only ever seen the Sperions on plinths and didn't realise they could be hung upside down from a T bar. I'm not sure I would be able to put one on top of my speakers without it being either unsafe or unsightly although I can see that that would be a practical way of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    and hanging down from a T-bar, one on each end, that’s how I do mine when not using the plinths.
    Good point. I'm toying with the idea of getting a couple of something Spherion-like. And having a Revo 3 fire. Anybody fancy coming to see that?

Edit: Oh wait.. I can't. The Revos aren't mine. Well that & I heard <censored> doesn't burn,

Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    Is a static bright white light enough on its own in your opinion? I would have thought that there would need to be something else to provide a bit of gentle movement.
    I have found recently picky photographers who have asked me to switch off all my lights including deck stand but they are happy with the white PARS and if they are on the dance floor it lights the brides dress nicely and of course the useful thing about that light is it will give you any colour chases , strobes etc for later on throughout the night , don't use the stand much normally bolt it on my top overhead with 3 lighting fixtures hanging below.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I have found recently picky photographers who have asked me to switch off all my lights including deck stand but they are happy with the white PARS and if they are on the dance floor it lights the brides dress nicely and of course the useful thing about that light is it will give you any colour chases , strobes etc for later on throughout the night , don't use the stand much normally bolt it on my top overhead with 3 lighting fixtures hanging below.
    One photographer asked me to turn off my 10 watt mirrorball light (used as a cake light) "as it was running his white balance". He went over and pushed it out the way without even asking. what a premadonna. I said in a friendly way "that light has been on for over 1000 first dances and not one photographer has mentioned it, so it can't be that bad". Looking on his site his photos are crap. I could do better on program mode with my 70d.

I usually just put all my lights on the ceiling and leave them on a set colour. usually white for the start, pink when they hit the floor and yellows etc. slow change as they get going. Its always very light which is the main thing for photos. Making it suddenly dark or covering the bride and groom with dots is not great and looks like a nuclear fallout. When I ask people to join i generally darken the lighting a bit to encourage people on. The effects lights go down a little after that, but find ceiling movement more effective. Depends on the venue. I always use uplighting.
    Last edited by yourdj; 09-07-2015 at 07:25 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've noticed a split when it comes to photographers. Some say "Leave them all on" or "Give as much colour as possible" and others say "Just white".
    If the Bride & Groom haven't specified what they want then I always just have the white starball LED's slowly revolving and the colour from the Equinox screens.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

If photographers moan, I just remind them that they have flashes, aperture, shutter speed and ISO on their cameras (plus off camera flashes, should they so choose). My clients pay for what I provide and if I can pull of reasonably OK photos with no training other than watching a load of YouTube videos, then a professional photographer would easily do a damn sight better than I.

Back on topic (based on your lighting), I'd use a colour wash from your gigbar. Do the derby's on the gigbar have a white setting? If so, add that in.

Total added cost: £0.00.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    and hanging down from a T-bar, one on each end, that’s how I do mine when not using the plinths.
    SNAP
    Attached Images Attached Images  

'

Should I have something that will act as a slow moving spotlight? Some kind of gobo projector maybe?
    You already have some. The innos or the spins on white gobo ( preferably open ) under basic DMX control.

Is a static bright white light enough on its own in your opinion? I would have thought that there would need to be something else to provide a bit of gentle movement.
    Yes, Next question please.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I tried mine upside down on t bars and just didn't like them. Plus when they're right up against the wall you lose pretty much half the effect. I do love mine though, usually place them on the upright bars for my DSB.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You already have some. The innos or the spins on white gobo ( preferably open ) under basic DMX control.
    So the white gobo option on the spins would suffice then or would you suggest using the TriPars as well for a colour wash (and if so would I be better using a slow colour fade or a static colour?).

Can I achieve the right level of control of the spins using the Acme CA8 wired controller or do I need to be buying myself some kind of basic DMX controller (and if so, what would you recommend based on the lights I currently own?)

What do you mean by 'preferably open'?