Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: First Dance Lighting?

  1. #21
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Open in this context means no gobo. That is, just a plain circle.

    Whether or not the CA8 controller will do what you want, I have no idea. Play with it & see if the spins play ball.

    As for whether a fade or a static white is best for the PARs that's only a matter of taste. See what works for you

  2. #22
    Casual77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Age
    42
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Open in this context means no gobo. That is, just a plain circle.

    Whether or not the CA8 controller will do what you want, I have no idea. Play with it & see if the spins play ball.

    As for whether a fade or a static white is best for the PARs that's only a matter of taste. See what works for you
    I've got a feeling that the CA8 will let me choose the modes but not control the speed. It may be that it will operate slowly in sound to light mode if the music played is low tempo. I honestly can't think that I've played a slow typical first dance type song on any of the gigs I've done up to now.

    I'm thinking I could maybe match a single colour on the tripars with the colour theme of the wedding and that that would work quite well. It looks like I can DMX control the colour of the Mini Kintas to just white and control the speed as well. It will need some experimentation but I'm thinking I might be able to achieve a similar effect to a pair of Spherions using those. Just need to buy a suitable DMX controller and figure out how to use it.

    Can I use any brand DMX controller to control any lights or do I need a Chauvet controller to control Chauvet lights and an ADJ controller for ADJ lights etc. If I can use any type can someone recommend one that would be good for starting out given the lights I've got?

  3. #23
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    So long as it's not a remote controller you plug in a DMX socket, and it has enough channels to cope with your most complex fixture you'll be fine.

    A lot of fixtures have different DMX modes where they use less channels at the expense of individual controls. My gigabar for example has a one channel mode all the way up to 17 channels.

    You can use a Chauvet obey with ADJ gear & so on

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    A big NO-NO is smoke/haze - it makes the TOG's flash act as a filter unless you've got a really good quality TOG there. If not, 9 times out of 10 they'll have their flash bounce back off the haze and no photos.
    Apologies for asking what could well be a dumb question, but what is a 'TOG'?
    Observe without judging what you see

    Disco 4 Hire

  5. #25
    Casual77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Age
    42
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    So long as it's not a remote controller you plug in a DMX socket, and it has enough channels to cope with your most complex fixture you'll be fine.

    A lot of fixtures have different DMX modes where they use less channels at the expense of individual controls. My gigabar for example has a one channel mode all the way up to 17 channels.

    You can use a Chauvet obey with ADJ gear & so on
    I was thinking of getting a Chauvet Obey.... it was just a question of whether to go for the 6 or the 10. Both seem to be a similar price.

  6. #26
    Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Apologies for asking what could well be a dumb question, but what is a 'TOG'?
    phoTOGrapher

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Chauvet Obey.... it was just a question of whether to go for the 6 or the 10. Both seem to be a similar price.
    Yup. Go for the 10 then

  7. #27
    Casual77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Age
    42
    Posts
    360

    Default

    I had a play around with the Acme 25 Spins last night and I can see that the white open gobos would be suitable for first dance lighting, but even with low tempo music they spin much too quickly. It looks like I will have to buy a DMX controller if I want to control the spin speed because, as I thought, the wired controller will only switch between modes.

  8. #28
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I had a play around with the Acme 25 Spins last night and I can see that the white open gobos would be suitable for first dance lighting, but even with low tempo music they spin much too quickly. It looks like I will have to buy a DMX controller if I want to control the spin speed because, as I thought, the wired controller will only switch between modes.
    I use this. Will allow you to pick colour, gobo, and rotation direction and speed.

    Have a play with the Innos with it as well. Might do what you want.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual77 View Post
    I was thinking of getting a Chauvet Obey.... it was just a question of whether to go for the 6 or the 10. Both seem to be a similar price.
    I have an Obey 70 available for sale - only used once, rack mounted in a nice case, for just 100+postage (effectively the rack case is free)

    That will last you longer than an Obey 10, where you'll quickly run out as you add fixtures.

  10. #30
    Casual77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Age
    42
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Have a play with the Innos with it as well.
    Yeah I would, but I managed to drop one of them upside down from about 6ft while I was setting up for my last gig and it won't even power up now. I'm hoping Davesounds can work his magic on it because I don't want to have to fork out 200 on a replacement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •