Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refusing Bookings - "Discriminative"?

I don't have any problem with fox hunting. It's part and parcel of the countryside and a crying shame the townies banned it in the first place. Haven't we lost quite enough of our Englishness already? Looks like it could be coming back tho'!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

A trick I use if somebody phones me for am enquiry is get as much info as I can about the event BEFORE asking the date. Then, if the gig doesn't click for me, I have that get out clause of "Oh, sorry - I'm washing my hair that night!"

The alternative is saying "No sir, I have no desire to perform at your toothless, chavtastic stoner party. In fact, other things that rank higher than performing at that event would include slamming my man berries into a car door."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    A trick I use if somebody phones me for am enquiry is get as much info as I can about the event BEFORE asking the date. Then, if the gig doesn't click for me, I have that get out clause of "Oh, sorry - I'm washing my hair that night!"

The alternative is saying "No sir, I have no desire to perform at your toothless, chavtastic stoner party. In fact, other things that rank higher than performing at that event would include slamming my man berries into a car door."
    And that is the key to a very successful outcome. You have to get all of the information at the enquiry stage. Without having all of the details to hand, you cannot possibly make an informed decision as to whether the event, and the client, is suitable for you or you are suitable for the client. As has been said many, many times on here and elsewhere, not everyone is your client. You are not suitable for everyone. You might think you are but you're not! Simples!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I don't have any problem with fox hunting. It's part and parcel of the countryside and a crying shame the townies banned it in the first place. Haven't we lost quite enough of our Englishness already? Looks like it could be coming back tho'!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (Evelyn Beatrice Hall, The Life of Voltaire)
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Hey, why not bring back coock fighting, dog fighting, bear baiting as they are traditional Georgian/medieval recreational 'pleasures' too.

If its the pursuit they like then i don't see why they don't bring up a deer with the dogs; set it loose and they lick it to death when they find it. i am sure they did that as my land and environment tutor told me that story (a hunter) when it was being banned. You still have the red coated riders and all the 'british' social side of it and nothing gets killed, job done
    Last edited by yourdj; 12-07-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Well said,most people have not got a clue about fox hunting they just object because its a class thing,take phesant shooting it takes £ 15.00 to put a bird in the air then you blast it to bits and get a couple of quid for it whats the point but nobody objects,at least the fox is vermin ask any farmer.

And back to DJ related posts please.....

I got my recurve bow, out during my recent trip to Chester as it's still legal to shoot welsh people inside the walls police did not agree. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    And back to DJ related posts please.....
    I agree.

Let's put an end to discussions about personal opinions on fox hunting. A DJ forum ain't the place. These kind of discussions always polarise opinions and antagonise people on both sides of the fence, so for that reason alone I'm asking that we all follow Martin's request. Cheers.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I agree.

Let's put an end to discussions about personal opinions on fox hunting. A DJ forum ain't the place. These kind of discussions always polarise opinions and antagonise people on both sides of the fence, so for that reason alone I'm asking that we all follow Martin's request. Cheers.
    Disney and Pixar have made me warm to foxes, sharks, monsters, cars, rats and other undesirable things. We all saw the Disney version of Robin Hood. The real test is if they make a film about cold callers and make me warm towards them!

Anyway, what were we talking about again? Ah, yes. Turning down bookings. As mentioned before (and I've seen Martin bang this drum many a time), get all the info before accepting a booking. I sometimes cover a residential gig for a friend and I flat out refuse to walk in blind. Give me some details of what's going on, or I won't do it.

If you've not confirmed the booking - not sure how you do it but in my case it would be contract signed by client, deposit paid and countersigned by me - you can easily enough back out without having to give too much of a reason.

"Sorry mate, someone's just come in and nicked your date pronto this afternoon."

my personal fave: "The Mrs is a groupon fiend and I've just noticed on my calender that your particular date has been blocked off due to some bungee jumping and cocktail master classing that she's booked."

If you've already signed you're in a bit of a stick and the best situation is probably to be honest, say you didn't realise what it was and wouldn't be able to do the best job for them, give their deposit back and wish them well. You'd need them to agree to all of that though...