Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you play early evening

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Chart music from the last 3 months that I wouldn't consider using as part of my main set, and music that is so new that it's good to gauge reactions to it for when it charts and becomes popular (Sigala's Easy Love, for example.).

Background music is to encourage the toe tapping and shoulder bopping.

Mixture of good music be it old or new that I wouldn't use post first dance (it's all weddings in my world).

Stuff like Joe Jackson - Stepping Out, Michael Jackson - Rock With You, Natalie Cole - Everlasting Love, Daft Punk - Fragments Of Time, Andie Case - Want You To Want Me, Florence + Machine - Ship To Wreck, Santana - Game Of Love are pretty standard early door tunes for me at the moment with filling in bits and pieces from clients personal tastes etc..

Never ever used Mastermixes, personally anyone can use them and I think unless you need to be elsewhere it's just lazy.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Walk of life.
    That was a joke wasn't it
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Anyone tell me which of these master mixes they use. Heard of but never used myself and as Im a lazy sod might give it a try
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

I used to love megamixes & Mastermixes a long time ago (I subscribed to Mastermix for years from the early 1990s onwards) but listening back to them they're barely relevant now. Ask yourself what kind of impression it'll leave on somebody who actually notices the music is continuously mixed while you're conspicuous by your absence.. even more so if a continuous style isn't your thing. "What exactly is the DJ for then?", people may ask? I actually love that Mixxx doesn't detect the end of tracks & automagically splice tunes together - it's a great demarcation between my style & autodj.

Last Saturday the bride came over to me to tell me something after I'd been playing for about an hour. She said "loads of my friends have asked me to ask you where you got this amazing mixtape, but I told them you're doing it all on the fly. They said 'no way!', I said 'oh yes, WAY!'". Absolute beam on both our faces.

The Grandmaster series aside, megamixes are a curse IMHO. Yeah you get a bunch of tracks all skillfully stitched together, but how many songs get cut too short? I'd much rather play the tracks a mix would feature, in their entirety (give or take - miss out long intros maybe). Mastermixes do have one use for me.. they're a great shortcut into programming & mixing ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I'll be completely honest - I use one of the Mastermix mixes to suit the brief, gradually turning the volume up until people start hitting the floor....then I'll take over and go from there.
    Same here. Usually GM Goodgroovin' GM Pop or GM Swing depending. Some of the DMC Dance Classics and the like are also good.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    That's an awesome track - I use it a lot for the older generation parties warm up sessions - sometimes even gets a few dancing!!!!
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post

(Might be worth noting that at 36 years old, am I ever nearing the 40 mark, and think that if my DJ played 60's music at the beginning, I wouldn't really care, its more about what they play later on )
    Sorry, I missed that first time round. Absolutely. They don't remember you playing lounge music at the beginning, but they do remember leaping about to that last killer track you played.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Mixture of good music be it old or new that I wouldn't use post first dance (it's all weddings in my world).
    In which case, I'm glad I don't live in your world, Neil. Variety is the spice of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    it's open season, although the first two tracks I'd hope to spark interest on the dancefloor would be Walk of life, and Phil Collins- You can't hurry love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    That's an awesome track - I use it a lot for the older generation parties warm up sessions - sometimes even gets a few dancing!!!!
    Deadly serious. If there's anyone over 21 in the room, it's a Pavlovian response to hit the floor. Many folk have a line dance routine to it as well, so want to show that off.

Considering where you're situated, I'm surprised that track isn't mandatory at every function, along with Fog on the Tyne. ( Stereotypical joke there folks, not being quite so serious there )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk