Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Inspiration Required!

Default Inspiration Required!

So, after some inspiration and help really.

This weekend I am looking after really nice couple who have asked me to DJ for them for their first anniversary. To give a background I was there wedding Toastmaster last year, and now want to celebrate their first year with every and a few key favourite suppliers.

Really laid back, but love a party but they are quite young aged around 24 ish with friends of similar ages.

When speaking to them about music, they said not really sure but think that commercial dance, pop and old school "kisstory" but probably be best. Now, whilst I can certainly hold my own for this genre for about an hour, a whole evening might be a little challenging as my normal target audience tend to be a little older, so I would be really very grateful for some help, advise or ideas on what works, or even better and historical set list from a recent party.

that would be fab! Thanks

Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Hmm. Should be very easy this one, but I'm increasingly finding that I can't remember some tracks I used to play out all the time when they were current.

The usual suspects: Rhythm is a dancer, rhythm of the night, the key the secret, son of a gun, living joy dreamer & don't stop movin, outhere brothers, last rhythm, jps project lover, Sandy b make the world go round, born slippy, insomnia, jx son of a gun & there's nothing I won't do, let the beat hit em, Frankie knuckles whistle song, aly us follow me, Tori Amos professional widow, camisra let me show you, K-klasa let me show you & rhythm is a mystery. Bassheads is there anybody out there, bizarre inc playing with knives & I'm gonna get you. Usura open your mind. Cappella you've got let the music etc, culture beat Mr vain, kws please don't go (ugh!), 2 in a room wriggle it.....

A big one from 'back in the day' I used to play to take the roof off, and not so well known is 'only you' by Talisman... But do you have any idea how old they mean by 'old'? Will they be needing R 'n' Bilge too?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Kisstory have a couple of albums out. That'll be a good start.

I did an Dance/RnB style wedding on Sunday. I'll dig out the set list from there later.

Might be on the wrong track here but the Kisstory old skool stuff Ive heard is really just MOS annual stuff

stuff like

Insomnia - Faithless
    Artful Dodger - rewimd
    Modjo - Lady
    Castles in the Sky - Ian Van dahl

if it is gimme a shout can name a load more...
    Last edited by Andy P; 22-07-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Kisstory have a couple of albums out. That'll be a good start.

I did an Dance/RnB style wedding on Sunday. I'll dig out the set list from there later.
    I had a quick look on Amazon & there's more than just a couple of Kisstory albums. It looks like they've tried to give Ministry of Sound a run for their money.

So basically by saying 'Kisstory' and 'old skool' they're really asking for further clarification. Old to me is late 80s to mid 90s, but to others it could just be 5 years ago stuff.

It'd be like somebody in their 60s saying they liked those Music For Pleasure albums. Showing my age there a bit

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I had a quick look on Amazon & there's more than just a couple of Kisstory albums. It looks like they've tried to give Ministry of Sound a run for their money.

So basically by saying 'Kisstory' and 'old skool' they're really asking for further clarification. Old to me is late 80s to mid 90s, but to others it could just be 5 years ago stuff.

It'd be like somebody in their 60s saying they liked those Music For Pleasure albums. Showing my age there a bit
    Kisstory, as in what Kiss play each day at 11am has changed recently - it's much more 2000's stuff, with a little 90s.

Sean Paul - Temperature
    Usher - Yeah
    Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On
    Robin S - Show Me Love
    Nelly - Hot In Here
    etc

More current stuff is:

Avicii
    Jess Glynne
    Clean Bandit
    Iggy Azalea
    Duke Dumont
    Gorgon City
    David Zowie
    Kiesza
    Chris Brown

Andy Roberts is in charge of Kiss - here's his Spotify playlist: https://play.spotify.com/user/radioa...tm_medium=open