Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Shure BLX288/Beta 58a

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Shure BLX288/Beta 58a

So, my new toy arrived today!

Up to now, I've been using the AKG Dual Mini's and for what they are, they have been fantastic little mics. However, in recent weeks, there have been a few occasions where the need to change the frequency would have been ideal (bands/singers/venue stuff interfering with my mic). I'll still be taking the AKG's as backup, but I'll be using my Shure tonight for it's maiden run.

Got it out of the box this morning and one word springs to mind: plastic. Everything you can see and touch is plastic, and it doesn't even feel like great plastic - both on the mics and receivers. I know that the BLX series is Shure's entry level stuff but at £509.00, I'd have expected something more.

Hopefully tonight, the sound will make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

Hopefully tonight, the sound will make up for it.
    In my very humble opinion and personal experience, very few mics surpass a Beta. Lovely mics. I've got one, and recently I got a headworn PG58, which absolutely blew my previous budget one into the weeds.

Only question I have is do you intend to hand these out to all and sundry? If so, I'd have been looking at PG58s.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with these.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Only question I have is do you intend to hand these out to all and sundry?
    God no. Never hand out mics (unless a singer is doing the first dance).

I'll provide an update tomorrow.

Hmmm.....

I think that I will have to have a bit more of a play with this mic. I don't think it sounds any more clear than my AKGs. It certainly sounds warmer (and I was kinda looking for that, as the AKGs are lacking in picking up the low frequncies, I fell) but I've not been wowed yet.

Can beat betas if you are a vocalist, however for 'normal' DJ work, I find that the Sennheiser EW135 has a far better build quality to it. I have a choice at the club I work at and I choose EW everytime. The only negative I can think it's that's it's slightly slower to find the receiver but there's only a second or so in it.

Sorry but if you don't think it's worth the extra £300 over your AKG's send it back as that's a lot of cash

Ok. So I've used them three times now.

I've started to like them. My housemate doesn't think they're that great in sound (she prefers the AKGs) but my roadies think that they sound a lot better. I certainly feel that they give me more presence and gravitas (am I over-selling here?). They certainly do pick up the low frequencies better, giving off a warmer, full bodied sound but they are no clearer. So I've possibly gotten exactly what I was looking for - something at least as clear as my AKGs with a better sound.

The real niggling point I have about them is the plastic. Like I said, I know the BLX series is Shure's entry level stuff BUT at £509.00, I'd have wanted something better. It's not crap plastic, but everything you see and touch on both the mics (with the exception of the grill, of course) and on the receiver is plastic.

So, which is the better mic? I'm giving that award to the Shure. It's clear, sounds better and the option to change frequencies has already come to very good use.

Is the Shure worth the extra £370 over the AKG Mini Duo? No. I'd say worth more, but not that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    The real niggling point I have about them is the plastic. Like I said, I know the BLX series is Shure's entry level stuff BUT at £509.00, I'd have wanted something better.
    The reason behind the plastic case is the BLX series have an internal antenna and the signal would be somewhat impeded by a metal case.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire